The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Adding side fret indicators to a classical

I have learned to live without fret markers on the side of the neck on a classical but I do not see the harm in having them. A friend of mine is learning and he borrows one of my less expensive classicals for joint practice. I would like to add fret markers on the player side of the neck which has no binding, just ebony and some finish. Does anyone have clever suggestions about how to approach this or am I just best looking up how builders typically complete this step?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Find the material that you want to use for the markers. I use brass rod. I have also used toothpicks. Stewmac sells plastic trim. What I do is drill a hole the same size as the material of the markers put in a drop of CA, stick it in there, cut it off, and file it flush. Since it already has finish on it, if you do it that way you will end up taking off some of the finish. I have no knowledge of re-finishing, so as far as that goes I cant be of much help.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limnephilidae View Post
I have learned to live without fret markers on the side of the neck on a classical but I do not see the harm in having them. A friend of mine is learning and he borrows one of my less expensive classicals for joint practice. I would like to add fret markers on the player side of the neck which has no binding, just ebony and some finish. Does anyone have clever suggestions about how to approach this or am I just best looking up how builders typically complete this step?

Thanks in advance.
For temporary use, you can use stick-on dots from an office supply store, or pieces of tape...

For permanent dots, if you use plastic rod, you can pare it flush to the finish without harming the finish using a sharp chisel or knife. Brass, you can file it flush with a fine file. If you are careful, the finish is left intact. You can also buy small shell (e.g. mother of pearl) dots and drill to a depth that will leave the dot flush with the finish. Glue the dots in.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You can also buy small shell (e.g. mother of pearl) dots and drill to a depth that will leave the dot flush with the finish. Glue the dots in.
Just a suggestion: if you choose this option, stick the dots to a small piece of veneer with double-stick tape. The dots will then be guaranteed to be flush with the finish once they're glued in place.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Crayola colored pencil lead is my favorite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair