The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM

I am fairly new to finger style... is the general rule to use the thumb for strings 6 and 5? I have a bit of a structured mind (one of my many limitations ;-). I was watching Mike Herberts' video lessons online and he would take the approach that the thumb always plays the base note and would drop his thumb on the 4th string from time to time.

He also anchors his little finger.. something i do with flat picking. Is this a bad habit for finger style?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
I am fairly new to finger style... is the general rule to use the thumb for strings 6 and 5?
He also anchors his little finger.. something i do with flat picking. Is this a bad habit for finger style?
Well yes and yes. The thumb generally plays the bass notes and it is a bad habit to anchor your pinkie but many people do it and unless you are playing classical it will not get in your way. It may even help you find your place and keep it. I am sure volumes could be written on whether or not to anchor your pinkie.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Memphis View Post
Well yes and yes. The thumb generally plays the bass notes and it is a bad habit to anchor your pinkie but many people do it and unless you are playing classical it will not get in your way. It may even help you find your place and keep it. I am sure volumes could be written on whether or not to anchor your pinkie.
thank you so much.. OK... I will try to avoid using my little finger to anchor... Why do you try to avoid anchoring? I assume you use your little finger to play the first string? In other words, every finger has a primary string to play :-)? Thanks in advance,
Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Anytime one of your fingers is anchored, it limits the ability for your hand to move freely. You rarely use the strumming hand pinky, even with all finger strumming as in flamenco.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:12 PM

This looks like a very useful site, Thanks for the link!

Also, I seem to anchor my hand more when really "digging into" a tune, and let it float when doing the "cascading waterfall" type of stuff. I also use 4 fingers unless "digging in", then I seem to resort to p-i-m...I don't know why, just the way that feels comfortable for me....
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
I am fairly new to finger style... is the general rule to use the thumb for strings 6 and 5? I have a bit of a structured mind (one of my many limitations ;-). I was watching Mike Herberts' video lessons online and he would take the approach that the thumb always plays the base note and would drop his thumb on the 4th string from time to time.

Not neccessarily but here's another viewpoint...

http://www.mjra.net/WillFly/qa1d.shtml

Also Stefan Grossman uses his pinky as an anchor and if I ever get 1/2 as good as he is I won't worry about trying to change anything.

Jeremy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write