The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBDJS View Post
I am sorry I was not more clear about that. George Gruhn is my good friend and former neighbor. Around my house he is known as simply "George".

I think with his name and reputation, people forget he is a real dude running a real small business. he is certainly not a poor man but he is no Jeff Bezos either. He works every day Mon-Sat from 10-6, then on Saturday nights he goes to gigs and to the Grand Ole Opry to sell his guitars to the musicians. he is available to talk to anyone on the phone or by email. Many have commented that they want to go to Gruhn's. You should. George Gruhn, for the record, is 75 years old and he WILL NOT live forever. Nearly every Saturday when I leave to run down there, my wife says, "you are going to Gruhn's AGAIN?" and I reply the same thing--"there is going to be a day when I want to talk to Grorge (Gruhn) and will not be albe to do so. Better do it now!" I would give that same advice to anyone desiring to visit.

Even though they are surrounded by great guitars all day every day, they get just as excited as the rest of us when someone walks in with a guitar in a case. "What ya got in that case?" "OH wow! A _____ (Les Paul Studio, Martin D-18...insert any "normal" guitar). They love them all as much as we do!"

I do NOT work for Gruhns nor have any financial interest. I just love the guy and get excited to talk about the place. It is a combo of a museum that you can buy the displays, a history lesson, a bucket list destination, and a really cool place to hang out!
I’ll second all of this! I have spent some time at Gruhn’s. It’s worth the trip to Nashville. The staff (including George) are great, and the selection is out of this world. I spent an afternoon there playing pretty much everything in the store before walking away with my Custom D21. George puts a lot of thought and pride into his customs and they are with every penny. I’m glad I got to buy a custom Martin from the man himself.

Great guitar, OP.. I was just looking at those the other day. A nice mix of performance upgrades and aesthetics. Truly special.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-20-2021, 08:30 PM

Wow beautiful back!!! Long may you play!!
Old 01-20-2021, 08:56 PM

Congrats, that is one beautiful guitar...I need a napkin to catch all the drool...Wow
Old 01-20-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

What a fantastic double-50th guitar!

Not only is it a beauty, but it represents your family’s love and support. That makes it even more special.

Sinker and Adi are a great combo to boot.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
What a fantastic double-50th guitar!

Not only is it a beauty, but it represents your family’s love and support. That makes it even more special.

Sinker and Adi are a great combo to boot.
My thoughts exactly. With being a long time lurker, but only 6 posts, I’d like to welcome you to the forum. Play that stunning guitar in good health. It’ll make you feel a bit special every time you pick it up. I can’t imagine a better 50th Birthday present.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:38 PM

Happy Birthday and congratulations on one fine looking, and I am certain, amazing sounding guitar.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:54 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Man that is one amazing AGF entrance! Beautiful, congrats.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
My thoughts exactly. With being a long time lurker, but only 6 posts, I’d like to welcome you to the forum. Play that stunning guitar in good health. It’ll make you feel a bit special every time you pick it up. I can’t imagine a better 50th Birthday present.
well, I have had little to post about. My other Martin is a great old friend but certainly nothing to post about. I love to read what others are saying but I am a decidedly average guitarist with (previously) decidedly average acoustic guitars. I bounce around and read several forums as I love to learn. Here is my HJ-28. I have a little office at work and now this is my "work guitar". It will also be my travel and knock around guitar. Plenty of dings and a (repaired at Gruhns) top seam separation from the previous owner. George Gruhn says is is a "very good but not great" sounding guitar. That is
high praise, actually. Also attached is a picture of George playing my HJ-28. Below that is George in my house with one of his (not mine though) Gruhn's 50th models that is the night he sold my wife. The next day he sold that one and promised her the next one. The one he is playing in the photo has a slightly different headstock inlay (that was a mistake from the factory) and he was unhappy about it and wanted me to have the "right one". In reality I would rather have the one that was the mistake, but that is kind of splitting hairs! Last is me playing George Gruhn's Lloyd Loar signed L5 at a neighborhood Jam session along with my 17 year old son. Yes, he brings rare priceless guitars to neighborhood jam sessions.

Last edited by DRBDJS; 01-21-2021 at 10:32 PM. Reason: could not make photos show up
Old 01-22-2021, 05:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

OK, thanks a lot. Now you have me lusting after the 0000 version. Dang you!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 AM

Gorgeous Guitar! Your a fortunate man to have a family that obviously is appreciative of you and friend/neighbor who helped with that lifetime guitar.
Enjoy it in good health, great post too.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
OK, thanks a lot. Now you have me lusting after the 0000 version. Dang you!
Well, if you will not tell anyone--on my Saturday trips to Gruhn's, it was really the 0000 that I was lusting after. Then I kind of changed to the Dread when I saw the "mistake" guitar with the incorrect headstock. George Gruhn was so upset he considered actually sending it back to Martin. He changed his mind when he saw how well the Sunbursts were selling. Also due to the pandemic, they are not actually going to make all 50 as was originally planned (more like 30) so he relented and decided to keep it. It had the most beautiful figuring of the Sinker on the back. After that, it was the Dread that I wanted. I kept walking around Gruhn's calling the "mistake" Dread "my guitar" which was intended to be an absurd joke since I would have never bought it for myself. After George Gruhn told my wife that I was calling it "my guitar", that is why she picked that one. Long story for "another day, another time I would own the 0000". Reality is that to my ear and my playing style, they are remarkably similar sounding guitars.

Just on the crazy off chance that anyone cares what the "mistake" looked like, below is the "mistake" guitar. Notice how the inlay flower comes to a point. THe second photo is the "correct" headstock where the flower is rounded on top (like a bloom). I cannot imagine that anyone not named "George Gruhn" or "Rainman" would even notice side by side

George Gruhn is perplexed that the Sunbursts all sold out nearly instantly but he still has several in the Natural. His personal (Dreadnaught) that he has chosen to keep from the 50th series for his personal collection (and not sell) is the natural. If anyone is curious which one that is, it is listed on the Gruhn's website listing that I posted above as "not for sale" in small letters under the list of thumbnail descriptions.

These are the only Martins currently available (perhaps ever) with the Sinker back, sides, neck, and wood kerfing inside. The bracing is the Adirondack spruce. So all the wood except the fretboard is either Sinker or Adirondack. They are special guitars from that standpoint (most with Adirondack tops have Sitka bracing) and most with Sinker sides and back do not have Sinker mahogany necks.

George Gruhn spent considerable effort going to Martin several times to hand pick all the sinker and Adirondack spruce for these guitars--and it shows! I guess it is possible that these guitars will depreciate but I cannot imagine they will. Not only are they very limited but they are actually special beyond just the name--both in the tone AND in the very unusual specs. Always possible that Martin puts them into production but I seriously doubt it. I actually think they are under priced.

Interestingly, they have their own smell. George says it is the smell of the sinker that is different. They smell like a regular new Martin but "spicier". George says the sinker really stinks when they are sawing it. My guitar certainly does not "stink"--in fact I think it smells fantastic! Again, like a new Martin that someone has sprinkled cinnamon and pepper and clove.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion