The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-26-2019, 06:25 PM

Default Recognising a note among notes, and finding the next note

I think that as I have continued learning to play guitar, that one thing that I've noticed, now that I am getting better (hopefully), is that I am able to recognise individual notes among others when I'm playing polyphonically (multiple notes sounding at the same time), and that I am able to tell (in a limited way) how a different note (interval) would sound in relation to the said individual note that I am hearing.

So, say I am playing a chord, usually in some kind of fingerpicking pattern, but possibly strumming it instead. I think it used to be that I just heard the overall sound of the chord or notes, and wouldn't really know which finger on which string is playing which of the notes that I could hear. But now I think I am better at picking out which finger / string is playing which note, and also, to some degree, better at knowing intuitively what to do to get to whatever note I want to hear next.

I can sense this feeling of improvement mostly when I play a familiar tune from just looking at its chords, as is the case with my "The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook", which has only lyrics with chords above them (no tab or notation or rhythm notation). I just strum or pluck a chord, and I can hear straight away how the melody fits into the chord, and I can tell which finger on which string is sounding the melody note, and I can tell where the next melody note is, and how to find it most of the time, which I think means that I now have an improved understanding of intervals.

It's difficult to judge ones progress oneself, but I think this is something that I can do now that I could not do as well before--I find it much easier to pick out tunes now.

Now if only I could do this without constantly making silly mistakes!

Can anyone else relate to this kind of improvement realisation?
Old 11-26-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

That part of the process of developing a better ear. Congrats.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-27-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I think that as I have continued learning to play guitar, that one thing that I've noticed, now that I am getting better (hopefully), is that I am able to recognise individual notes among others when I'm playing polyphonically (multiple notes sounding at the same time), and that I am able to tell (in a limited way) how a different note (interval) would sound in relation to the said individual note that I am hearing.

So, say I am playing a chord, usually in some kind of fingerpicking pattern, but possibly strumming it instead. I think it used to be that I just heard the overall sound of the chord or notes, and wouldn't really know which finger on which string is playing which of the notes that I could hear. But now I think I am better at picking out which finger / string is playing which note, and also, to some degree, better at knowing intuitively what to do to get to whatever note I want to hear next.

I can sense this feeling of improvement mostly when I play a familiar tune from just looking at its chords, as is the case with my "The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook", which has only lyrics with chords above them (no tab or notation or rhythm notation). I just strum or pluck a chord, and I can hear straight away how the melody fits into the chord, and I can tell which finger on which string is sounding the melody note, and I can tell where the next melody note is, and how to find it most of the time, which I think means that I now have an improved understanding of intervals.

It's difficult to judge ones progress oneself, but I think this is something that I can do now that I could not do as well before--I find it much easier to pick out tunes now.

Now if only I could do this without constantly making silly mistakes!

Can anyone else relate to this kind of improvement realisation?
In simpler terms it's saying your ear is developing in step with learning the fret board. You're beginning to think in terms of melody development and managing to keep your head out in front of the music, meaning you're capable of making your own music. It's turning the corner from covering to creating. You think you had an interest in it before? Well, now you're going to get consumed by it and, if I may say so, there are worse things that can happen. Have fun with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write