The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Default Adding Inlay to a Taylor?

I have a Taylor GSCE LTD. It's a beautiful guitar. I've always liked the understated look of the dark ebony fretboard and headstock overlay with no inlay. But lately, I've thought about putting an inlay on the headstock only.

Is this just a bad idea? Who would I get to do the work if not? Would it preserve the value at all to just send it to Taylor and have them do it? Any idea what a headstock inlay might cost, ballpark (I am thinking a dragonfly).

Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You probably would do well to talk to Bill Nichols. He specializes in retrofit inlay. His site is HERE. He's a member of the AGF and a nice guy, too.

Tell him I say "Hi!"?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Any inlay is possible, the end result is subjective to the skill of the person doing it.

Not sure if Taylor would retrofit an inlay.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-24-2019, 09:50 PM

This is OP's choice. Just bring money. OP might consider what headstock veneer he wants, unless the anticipated work won't impinge on the decoration already there.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:06 AM

Here is an example of one I designed and inlayed a while back on a customers PRS

His surname was Webb, this is the existing head stock and plate, routed and inlayed with 1.5mm thick mother of pearl shell.

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-25-2019, 04:23 AM

If preserving the value is a concern, leave it alone.

Personalizing/customizing instruments is rarely a value-add when it comes to resale. The next owner may not view your upgrade as an upgrade.

Kind of like tattoos, in a way. ��

But if you want to, by all means, have at it. There are some absolute wizards when it comes to inlay work.

Edit - on further thought, and looking at the Nichols inlay site, get an inlayed truss rod cover. You can personalize your instrument but go back to the original if you ever do sell it.
The J-15 I bought came with an inlayed truss rod cover. It not suiting my vision for that guitar, the original promptly went back on.

Last edited by Skarsaune; 10-25-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-05-2019, 04:18 AM

I realize it's not an actual inlay, but what about something like an inlay sticker ? I'm glad I got an Ovation, never get tired of the carved form shape of the headstock. Some of the bridges that are carved are insanely too much even ? It's one thing to go with the traditional cut, the flat Martin to me, that flat cut is the most unimaginative wood work ever. But you don't buy a Martin for the look of the top of the headstock. And when Ovation does a two-tone carved headstock with a skunk stripe, that's really nice, clean & classy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair