The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I've abandoned The Entertainer and Luttrel for the time being and started working on Toby Walker's arrangement of Cincinnati Flow Rag. Here's where I am so far, page one. Its in that twilight zone between not knowing and knowing. You know, your brain is going full tempo and your fingers can only do it right a full speed sometimes...... So I just slow it down and try to get it closer to being right.

I miss those days back when I was 20, playing for 6 hours on a Saturday and Sunday and no one bothered me, lol. I could use a few weekends like that. Maybe when I retire.....

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeltz View Post
Ok here goes. I started this one a few weeks ago and gosh when you start recording you realize quickly how much work it needs. I'll try and post my progress. I hope the soundcloud thing works. First time trying it. Let me know if it works.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58340056...r-instrumental
You're getting there! Keep at it!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Guest 33123

Nice Barry!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Yep. Nice playing, TB. I started to learn one rag some years back. It had lyrics, too. I just can't remember the name nor lyrics. Maybe if I give it a go someone might recognize it. Never got through it completely, though.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Nice Barry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Yep. Nice playing, TB. I started to learn one rag some years back. It had lyrics, too. I just can't remember the name nor lyrics. Maybe if I give it a go someone might recognize it. Never got through it completely, though.
Thanks guys! Today when I got home from work I warmed up a bit then practiced it some more, working on the next page as well. It's a fun song to learn, challenging, but not unreachable.

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 02-10-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

And a progress report on Cincinnati Flow Rag:

Here's the first page played today on my J-45...

And here's my first version played a couple of days ago on the Seagull Folk...

I'm having a bit of trouble with one part, (more so than others). First I tried it semi barre, but was muting, then I tried it full barre, but not always getting it, so now I'm trying mini barre and it came out better.

My SoundCloud page

Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Guest 33123

Nice Barry! I played this tune as well from a Stefan Grossman arrangement.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Nice Barry! I played this tune as well from a Stefan Grossman arrangement.
Thanks Doug. One thing I notice about my recordings is that you really can't tell the $1,600 difference in the two guitars played above, yet in person they are miles apart. I should move back from the mics and the corner as I'm probably getting all kinds of reflection noise thrown at the mics.

My SoundCloud page

Old 02-14-2017, 03:37 PM

Default Update on song progress

Ok this in my progress so far on Tears in Heaven. To me I'm going no were!! Is it just me or do we seem to hit a plateau and progress on some songs just seems to stop? I have worked on the areas of this song that I am struggling with.....and guess what...I'm still struggling with them! Slowed them down, practiced it in small pieces....still can't seem to get them to sound right....ughhh...I think a metronome would help but that throws me off sometimes but it would probably help with the flow...jump in with any suggestions...I'm all ears...

https://soundcloud.com/user-583400569/tears-in-heaven2
Old 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Sounds good, baring on a steel string guitar is a bear. I'm a nylon player and I still struggle with some of the bars. Rags are tough! I have worked on one and gave up, I had it down but couldn't memorize it. I got the music from Hiroshi Masuda. You can get the music from his website. Its called Ragpickin. I actually had this down for a while but not nearly at the speed he plays it at. Just couldn't keep it as a performance piece so I had to let it go.
https://youtu.be/tgX1BnpAPKc
Old 02-14-2017, 04:28 PM

I retired about 2 years ago and have devoted my days to trying desperately to get better. My goal was to get good enough to pick up a few gigs at some restaurants, nursing homes, wedding, etc.. Well I made that dream come true, now I'm just working on adding new music and making it sound good. No one has thrown any tomatoes at me yet so I guess the ones I know are coming out ok It all fun!! (lots of work...but love the results most of the time.)
Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM

TBman, How do you get the soundcloud player in the body of your message? Mine shows up as a link? I'm basically copying and pasteing the file from soundcloud. Is there another way to do this?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeltz View Post
TBman, How do you get the soundcloud player in the body of your message? Mine shows up as a link? I'm basically copying and pasteing the file from soundcloud. Is there another way to do this?
I click on the share thing in soundcloud, then copy the link and then here, in the advanced editor use the soundcloud button. All the soundcloud button does is to put"{soundcloud} {/soundcloud}" in your editor (but with square brackets) and then you just paste your link inbetween them.

My SoundCloud page

Old 02-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanks I'll give that a try next time.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Ok, what's going on?

I'm still working on Cincinnati flow rag, fun tune to play. It'll be a while before that's at performance speed, I have to get this one memorized to really get into it. I'm also reviewing my lesson/tab library to see what I can work on at the same time as CFR. I just bought a 3 song TW lesson, but the tunes are a bit on the quick side....

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write