The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM

Default Add strap peg to smallish guitar

Just got an Eastman ETG1, which is similar in size to a Taylor GS Mini. I want to use a strap with this guitar, but I wonder if there are any issues I ought to consider when drilling into the neck/body joint area.

Picture of that area is here: http://dropcanvas.com/emsan/1

Thanks
Eastman E10-OM AE - SOLD
Eastman AC 122 CE - SOLD
Eastman AC 420 CESB - SOLD
Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric) - SOLD
Pono ATDC-Ce (tenor ukulele) gCEA
Oscar Schmidt OU53 (baritone ukulele) - SOLD
Gold Tone model "BUT" (tenor banjo ukulele) gCEA
Old 03-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Default neck strap button

Maybe visiting a Taylor GS Mini and take a couple of pictures, and emulate that location for your strap pin? Taylor makes thousands of these, and they all have OEM strap buttons. And take your time drilling the screw hole, like step up drill sizes and not forcing in a screw that doesn't want to turn.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Maybe visiting a Taylor GS Mini and take a couple of pictures, and emulate that location for your strap pin? Taylor makes thousands of these, and they all have OEM strap buttons. And take your time drilling the screw hole, like step up drill sizes and not forcing in a screw that doesn't want to turn.
Good idea. I had a GS Mini, have to review my photo files and see if there is a good photo of the neck pin.
Eastman E10-OM AE - SOLD
Eastman AC 122 CE - SOLD
Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Do you know what type of neck joint it is? You'll want to make sure you don't drill into a bolt, a truss rod, or some other mechanism that is holding the guitar together. Taylor has a bolt on neck and their strap button placement puts the screw through the underside of the heel, between the two bolts. You want to make sure it's going into wood.

A couple of other things: 1) Be sure to predrill. 2) Buy the strap button from Taylor. They sell them on their website for $2 and they are the best ones I've found. They have a softer profile and a smaller screw than...say...a Fender button that is made to anchor into a solid body electric. You don't want to put a giant screw in your guitar.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Do you know what type of neck joint it is? You'll want to make sure you don't drill into a bolt, a truss rod, or some other mechanism that is holding the guitar together. Taylor has a bolt on neck and their strap button placement puts the screw through the underside of the heel, between the two bolts. You want to make sure it's going into wood.

A couple of other things: 1) Be sure to predrill. 2) Buy the strap button from Taylor. They sell them on their website for $2 and they are the best ones I've found. They have a softer profile and a smaller screw than...say...a Fender button that is made to anchor into a solid body electric. You don't want to put a giant screw in your guitar.
This is all good advice. Especially for a small guitar like my new Eastman ETG. After I read the post preceding yours, I found a photo of my previous GS Mini showing its button, but then remembered I already have 3 Eastman guitars with dealer installed strap button...so I looked at the peg placement on them and chose a likely spot on the ETG1. I drilled my pilot hole and installed the button successfully. I wish I did have one of those Taylor buttons with the smaller screw - the ones I have are larger than they need to be. But as far as I can tell, everything went fine, and it looks good.

I use a strap with all my guitars, even though I play sitting down 90% of the time. I find I can use the strap to keep the guitar in a comfortable and "proper" playing position. Otherwise I feel like I need to raise my left knee 6 inches off the floor to get the correct position!
Eastman E10-OM AE - SOLD
Eastman AC 122 CE - SOLD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair