The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Default $30 "Lawsuit" flea review

Well, I saw something online and bought it on a whim because it was clearly a lawsuit Flea uke with a horrendously tacky Parrot motif!

The good: LOUD! Intonation perfect! Very clean build with no visible excess glue etc.

The Bad: It's a 10 fret uke. From 10th on up, it's the same pitch.

Now for me, not such an issue. I quite literally don't play above the 7th. For others it clearly would be. It's a keeper for me. The best $30 (plus shipping) uke I've played.

This is based on sample of one so caveat emptor. I could have dud, or a gem. Here's the link ttp://www.amazon.com/Schoenhut-5400P.../dp/B0074HSUYA
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Ouch! This is doing the rounds on uke forums last few days.

Sorry to disagree but read many reviews from players of real Fleas (like me) that it's a total ripoff, neutral sound, thick top.

Each to their own, but this has caused a tidal wave of resentment in the uke community. The original flea was designed from the ground up by the Beloff family, who are kinda responsible for the current uke wave of popularity. Dang, they even copied the headstock and that little hook on the back.

My advice, buy the original!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Edit, actually I think the sale has been taken down by Amazon now due to complaints.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Hey Blue, the URL doesn't work - you need to add a "h" to the start of it (http, not ttp). When I check Amazon for that "fixed" URL, it's currently unavailable.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazmaz View Post
Ouch! This is doing the rounds on uke forums last few days.

Sorry to disagree but read many reviews from players of real Fleas (like me) that it's a total ripoff, neutral sound, thick top.

Each to their own, but this has caused a tidal wave of resentment in the uke community. The original flea was designed from the ground up by the Beloff family, who are kinda responsible for the current uke wave of popularity. Dang, they even copied the headstock and that little hook on the back.

My advice, buy the original!
I have both originals, a flea and a fluke. It's not the same. And I certainly didn't compare it to them. I said it was the best $30 uke I had run across from the 1st to the 10th fret...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Interesting update to this. One or two in the uke community emailed Dale at Fluke (the designer) for his take. He has explained:

Apparently it should not have gone to market, Fluke were aware of it and were in legal talks to find a resolution to suit both parties (I believe to have the instrument marketed as a "toy flea". A few slipped out (lord knows how) but its availability has been temporarily stopped pending agreement.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for posting the update. It's great to hear from Fluke on this issue.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazmaz View Post
Interesting update to this. One or two in the uke community emailed Dale at Fluke (the designer) for his take. He has explained:

Apparently it should not have gone to market, Fluke were aware of it and were in legal talks to find a resolution to suit both parties (I believe to have the instrument marketed as a "toy flea". A few slipped out (lord knows how) but its availability has been temporarily stopped pending agreement.
so it was a fluke that they slipped out, and flee'd the manufacturer, eh? maybe they could call it a larvae.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments