The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Not a problem. You can get an insert that will reduce a 1/2" collet to 1/4". I'm not sure exactly where you'd look apart from the manufacturers, but they are out there.

Steve
Old 02-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenvir View Post
Not a problem. You can get an insert that will reduce a 1/2" collet to 1/4". I'm not sure exactly where you'd look apart from the manufacturers, but they are out there.

Steve
Ah thanks for that. I have a fair bit of experience with power tools but never really needed a router before. I'll look for a Makita collet now.

Not to hijack this thread to my own, but in the spirit of keeping prices down for new builders I have a few myself:

If you cut the mould like I did with a router, use a smaller diameter bit. This will mean the parts you cut out will be a closer size to the mould shape. Then cut these pieces into sections for the shape of the waist, upper & lower bout. Then glue these different sections together. With those you can make spreaders or use to clamp into the mould when bending.

It's quite hard to explain on paper, but if I find time, I'll take a few pictures if what I mean.

Another thing I found myself doing is using my weightlifting set to hold down glue joints and 4"x2" lengths of wood to spread the load.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM

One of the things listed on our tool list in the upcoming acoutic guitar build class was 3/4" binder clips.

Not exactly sure of the intention... so not exactly sure which size to get (3/4" are pretty small, only open about 3/8")

I assume these are used to glue bindings?

This will be my first build.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM

I posted this link in another thread concerning humidity, but it probably deserves to be added here too as a cheap "workaround".

http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?t...ght=hygrometer

Controlling the environment in which you assemble your guitars is so vitally important that an accurate hygrometer is one of the "must have" tools in your arsenal. That, and the means to modify the humidity in your workspace of course.

Ignore humidity at your guitar's peril!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmfitr636 View Post
One of the things listed on our tool list in the upcoming acoutic guitar build class was 3/4" binder clips.

Not exactly sure of the intention... so not exactly sure which size to get (3/4" are pretty small, only open about 3/8")

I assume these are used to glue bindings?

This will be my first build.
We call them Bulldog clips here in the UK. I have seen people use them to glue on the kerfing to the sides of the guitar. Some use clothes pegs but some may feel these clips are a bit tighter.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 PM

I don't see the need to go tighter than clothes pegs. if your kerfs are cut deep enough to allow the curve, it should be no problem
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:51 PM

I recently bought 5 packs of 6 Rolsen spring clamps which have rubber cases so they don't leave dents. They are about the same size as a clothes peg but are much stronger.

Rolson are a cheap make but I don't see the need to spend a fortune on what is effectively a glorified clothes peg. They were £1 (about $1.50) a pack and I used them on my first build in places I wanted a slightly stronger clamp than clothes pegs. I got some cheap wooden pegs and wrapped them in elastic bands did the job brilliantly. All for less than £2.

Go here for pictures

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...29#post2143129

Last edited by Coke_zero; 02-27-2010 at 05:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair