The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2007, 05:07 AM

Lightbulb Pickups for Acoustic

I have a 1961 Gibson J-50 with the "adjustable bridge" that I would like to be able to play through my PA system. A ribbon transducer cannot be used (I am told) due to the nature of the bridge system. I am resisting a sound hole piezo (Baggs), any other possibiliteis that you might suggest. Thanks for your help!!!

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 AM

I haul mine around in a '96 Dodge Dakota j/k

You might look at a soundboard transducer type of pick-up such as Baggs i-beam or K&K (I can't recall the modei name)

Another (albeit more costly) option would be to have the bridge replaced with a conventional one. Then, not only will the tone of the guitar improve, but you can install any system you want during the process.

Tom
Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 AM

"ribbon transducer" is probably a bit misleading. Essentially there are 2 common types of transducers used for guitar pickups:

the UST or Under Saddle Transducer, which is a thin strip that sits under your plastic/bone/whatever saddle and wouldnt work well with the floating adjustable bridge

the AST or Acoustic Soundboard Transducer (also sometimes called a contact pickup) which can be stuck anywhere (although usually on the inside of the guitar below or near the bridge) would work well for your guitar. The lr baggs iBeam, b-band AST and k&k pure western/pure classic are all AST type pickups that have gotten good reviews from AGF members.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 AM

I have an old Yamaha copy of the Gibson hummingbird, it is close to 50 years old now and sounds amazing! It has the heavy tune-o-matic bridge as well in there and I ran into the exact same problem a few years ago when I wanted to play out. I had the LR baggs iBeam installed and ran that through a Para DI. I hated the sound, it was very thin and electric sounding. I am not sure if it had to do with the way that bridge transfered sound to the sound board, or if I just didnt have a clue how to dial it in right, probably the latter. A year or so ago I put in the LR baggs M1 and love it. I have a better grasp on proper EQ and different DI boxes so that could be a large part of it. If you do go the transducer route, make sure you get some type of equalizer so you can really get the sound you want, I am sure that this type of bridge acts differently then a normal one. Let me know what you choose and how it works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification