The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-10-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Strings breaking at the saddle

On my Fender Acoustasonic, which has a regular acoustic style saddle, I keep breaking strings quickly down at the saddle. I removed the strings and noticed the saddle has some indentations where the strings would rest, so I am assuming this is causing the breaking. Should I just sand the top a little to smooth out the marks or should I replace the saddle completely? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 AM

Saw that. Just wondering if most folks here just sand down the top of their saddles whenever they have this issue. I've never had this problem with other
guitars before. But on this one I broke a G and a D string at the saddle. I am not a string breaker usually at all. The Fender Acoustasonic has a Graphtec
black saddle on it. Wonder if I should just get a bone one instead?

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-23-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Quote removed.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:27 AM

It is pretty obvious that sanding down is not a solution, right.
What you can do is try practising with softer plectrons or pay more attention to finger playing.
Eventually, find an amplifier.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:55 AM

I don't use thick picks (use mediums) and I don't play finger style. I don't have this issue with any other guitar, so something tells me it's the saddle. And yes I already play through an amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
It is pretty obvious that sanding down is not a solution, right.
What you can do is try practising with softer plectrons or pay more attention to finger playing.
Eventually, find an amplifier.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I don't use thick picks (use mediums) and I don't play finger style. I don't have this issue with any other guitar, so something tells me it's the saddle. And yes I already play through an amp.
From everything you've said I agree with you that it's the saddle.

I'd try some 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the area on the saddle where the string breakage is happening, right at the point where the string makes contact. If you sand too much, - which would take a bit of time with 600 grit - the intonation can be affected which probably wouldn't lead to a good result.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:40 PM

I've never used graphtec saddles on an acoustic before. Are there fibers running longitudinally? If there's not a crisp edge on the saddle causing the break, you may need to put soft notches in the saddle with the appropriate size nut file. I do this on my electrics with tun-o-matic bridges (metal) but it doesn't seem like graphtec should need it. A luthier could do it in 5 minutes.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:54 PM

OP,

I had this problem consistently with a Martin dread with a tusq saddle. The top of the saddle developed grooves where the g and b strings sat, and I consistently broke strings there. I couldn’t figure it out...until a guitar tech showed me the grooves. It’s the only guitar I’ve had the issue with. I’d swap that saddle for a new bone one.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:06 AM

Yes I've NEVER had this issue before with over a dozen other guitars, but this is the first with a Graphtec/tusc saddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
OP,

I had this problem consistently with a Martin dread with a tusq saddle. The top of the saddle developed grooves where the g and b strings sat, and I consistently broke strings there. I couldn’t figure it out...until a guitar tech showed me the grooves. It’s the only guitar I’ve had the issue with. I’d swap that saddle for a new bone one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair