The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-09-2020, 02:24 PM

Default Anyone here knows washer machines?

My washing machine has started to shake violently during the spin cycle. Opened the rear panel and didn’t see anything broken. Suspension rods and springs seem intact, but there’s way too much movement on the tank assembly. I tried to see if there’s shock absorbers, but I couldn’t see any. It’s a top loading Maytag about 10 years old.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:44 PM

I wonder if there's a loose screw or a worn belt that you're not able to see?

Old 11-09-2020, 02:54 PM

So, it shakes even if the tub is empty?
Old 11-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

There is a set (could be 5 or 6) of springs that keep the washing drum balanced. You need to take the front cover off, get on your hands and knees and find which spring is broken. They might seem intact but they could be broken or just stretched.

I would suggest you do a YouTube search for your exact model/brand and include “changing the springs” in the search.
Or do a search that includes “ shaking.

Then do a search for the replacement springs. They should be around $20-30. For a set
There a bit of a Challenge to get on and off but a good locking wrench helps. They actually make A specific tool for the job but it costs more then the sprigs
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 11-09-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
So, it shakes even if the tub is empty?

I did a spin cycle with it empty and it’s fine. It’s only when loaded. Even a light load.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the help guys. When I took the back panel this is what I saw: four suspension rods anchored on each corner of the tank and washer. They had these plastic bushings that didn’t seem broken, and on the lower part had springs that are not broken. The tank itself has the motor and everything else attached to it. Didn’t see anything obvious broken or disconnected. Everything seems to be where it’s supposed to be, but when you move the tank assembly it’s easily sprung up and down and easy to hit the washer’s housing. My guess is that even though the springs are not broken, they’re probably worn and became soft? Wife wants to get a new washer/drier set, but that’s not the kind of surprise expense I want right before the holidays!
Old 11-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Save your big money for the holidays. Call an authorized service agent in your area, explain the problem asking if they can repair it in one visit with a cost estimate. You might get another 10 years out of your machine. BTW a mismatched washer and dryer will become a buyer issue if you ever decide to sell.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 05:39 PM

If a $400 washing machine not matching the dryer is what messes with the sale of my home, I'll sell it to someone else. Would make me worry what else they would try to have me on the hook for.

As for the washing machine, look up some youtube videos addressing the problem. There are factory training videos for all sorts of stuff posted online. Heck, post up the model and Ill help you find some information about it. Hopefully its a simple solution. I know with my washer, if you use too much soap it will mess up the speed sensor and you have to take it apart and clean the sensor. Fault F7, lol.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Save your big money for the holidays. Call an authorized service agent in your area, explain the problem asking if they can repair it in one visit with a cost estimate. You might get another 10 years out of your machine. BTW a mismatched washer and dryer will become a buyer issue if you ever decide to sell.

If it is the springs it’s a cheap fix. House calls can potentially run you the cost of a slightly used machine, depending on location
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Mine does this if it’s overloaded and not level. Have you leveled it lately?

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-10-2020, 12:48 AM

I have no hands-on experience with this, but I remember seeing inside one washing machine a huge concrete slab that acted as a counterweight. If your machine is similar, maybe the bolts anchoring the slab have become loose and it's not apparent because of the weight and/or position of the slab.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:17 AM

There are actually two tubs in a top loader. The one you can see with the holes is the inner tub. There is a plastic tub that contains the water until it is time to drain. Not sure of your exact model number but top loader metal covers lift entirely off the innards. There is a not so apparent way to disassemble. Usually screws and spring clips hidden under the control panel. Like a poster mentioned you tube should have videos about your model. I guess it depends on your $ or time budget.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:36 AM

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairH...ing-Loud-Noise
Old 11-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
My washing machine has started to shake violently during the spin cycle. Opened the rear panel and didn’t see anything broken.
Had a similar problem. Came downstairs to the garage from an upstairs bedroom to stop the loud noise.

Have you checked the feet? Fixed mine.

I had installed an LED light to replace a fluorescent in the dressing area, and there was a fairly stiff sheet metal mounting plate unused that went in my spare cardboard and plywood pile.

I know you are supposed to be able to turn and adjust the washing machine feet independently, but the right front didn't seem to be adjusting properly.

Sliding the sheet metal - maybe two feet square under that corner solved the problem. No noise in several months since. Our washing machine has carpet in front but the feet are on the concrete slab, so the sheet metal inserted at a slight angle to apply support to that corner.

Of course, the body was able to be moved (rocked diagonally) with the machine off. So it needed leveling. Not sure that's your problem, but clearly the first thing to check.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:41 PM

Default Anyone here knows washer machines?

I’m convinced that the suspension rods and bushings are just worn. Went Home Depot today and they didn’t carry any (only their online store). Tried to call another mom and pop appliance repair store and they closed early due to covid. Wife wants to go appliance shopping tomorrow, I don’t think she’s too interested in me repairing the old workhorse. If it takes $40 worth of parts to fix this, then maybe I’ll keep it outside to wash my jiu jitsu gis, which I think it’s what destroyed the suspension to begin with! [emoji23] [emoji1625]

But yeah seems like I’m coming home tomorrow with a new washer and drier. Oh yeah it’s a gas drier setup and those are hard to find. I’ll make a case of keeping the perfectly working drier.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic