The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-31-2020, 07:30 AM

Default Fall back one hour tonight (time change).

It's back tonight, or should I say 2am tomorrow morning, fall back 1 hour. The last thing I need is an extra hour of sleep ... I 'm just going to end up getting up way to early.

Does your location participate in the daylight saving time / standard time? Not every place does.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the reminder, Dru....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-31-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

There is a long editorial in the morning paper that makes the case for ending this foolishness. Many states are in agreement that it serves no purpose any longer, and that 75% of the population favor ending it.

Myself, I don't care for Standard Time, but could live with one or the other permanently. This back-and-forth is ridiculous.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-31-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Removed topic
Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It's back tonight, or should I say 2am tomorrow morning, fall back 1 hour. The last thing I need is an extra hour of sleep ... I 'm just going to end up getting up way too early.
Isn't that interesting. I'm still recovering from losing that hour in the spring, and so look forward to a 25 hour day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
There is a long editorial in the morning paper that makes the case for ending this foolishness. Many states are in agreement that it serves no purpose any longer, and that 75% of the population favor ending it.

Myself, I don't care for Standard Time, but could live with one or the other permanently. This back-and-forth is ridiculous.
I think it's actually dangerous, especially the spring forward, where there are more car accidents and such. There is a bit of a debate as to which one to use, if I recall correctly.

And many issues with missed appointments, meetings, international calls, etc.

I've also read some convincing arguments for the whole world to be in the same time zone. When elected benevolent dictator of the planet I will strongly consider that one.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-31-2020 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks for the reminder, Dru....
Sure thing, RP. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

I'm the same way - I don't care what is chosen just keep the same time all year round. Probably daylight savings time for me.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-31-2020 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:24 AM

Thank you for the reminder. Being isolated, one tends to forget.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:48 AM

Another hour to the day in 2020 is like getting a bonus track on a Yoko Ono album.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Another hour to the day in 2020 is like getting a bonus track on a Yoko Ono album.
I actually like Yoko, although I rarely listen to her music.

I did find this almost exactly 1 hour long rarities album on youtube. Enjoy.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:11 AM

We're (homo sapiens) scattered all over the globe. We're past the cognitive, agricultural and scientific revolutions. To some extent we're in a stage II of stuff from enlightenment or unification times via the way we communicate and do business all over.

What Daylight Savings Time really means for some of us is a short while in the summer when some of us can walk or ride our bikes home from the neighborhood biergarten with just enough light left.

For people who think my state has become backwards and angry, just imagine another hour of beer drinking and gluttony done in the dark.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:46 AM

End it. (mandatory 10 more characters)

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 10-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Old 10-31-2020, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I can never remember which is which, are we in DST in the summer? I prefer that one, I don’t like getting dark early. If we had to choose I’d choose the current time. If it was set to the other, that would be far worse than changing twice a year, it would blow up my summers.

That said I’ll never understand the amount of venom and angst this change brings out. It’s an hour. I’ll forget about the change in 2 days like every other year. 90% of my time-felling devices change automatically, how is anyone missing an appointment at this stage of technology?

I’m starting to smell conspiracy theories, frankly.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I can never remember which is which, are we in DST in the summer? I prefer that one, I don’t like getting dark early. If we had to choose I’d choose the current time. If it was set to the other, that would be far worse than changing twice a year, it would blow up my summers.

That said I’ll never understand the amount of venom and angst this change brings out. It’s an hour. I’ll forget about the change in 2 days like every other year. 90% of my time-felling devices change automatically, how is anyone missing an appointment at this stage of technology?

I’m starting to smell conspiracy theories, frankly.
I don't know about conspiracies, but before and after the toilet paper shortages I was convinced we should be selling a lot more remedies for diaper rash to grown ups. I've traveled to other places independently, have family and friends in other spots on the globe, and think my country has become home of the chapped behind.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Let's don't let the topic wander too far off the rails, guys. Thanks. I kinda like DST, but nobody ever asked for my opinion.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post

Howdy Dirk. DST is in the summer. Takes my dog about 3 weeks to figure it out, and I suspect it affects humans more than they realize. I also think many people are somewhat sleep-deprived, so losing an extra hour in the spring can make a significant difference.

You're gonna love this, 12 Surprising Effects of Daylight Saving Time (sorry for the cut and paste CAPS):

1. INCREASED SPENDING
2. A HIGHER RISK OF HEART ATTACKS
3. MISSED APPOINTMENTS
4. MORE CAR ACCIDENTS … MAYBE (AT LEAST FOR A FEW DAYS)
5. LONGER PRISON SENTENCES
6. MORE MINING INJURIES
7. FEWER KOALA COLLISIONS
8. DECREASED SATISFACTION WITH LIFE IN GENERAL (AND INCREASED USE OF THE WORD TIRED)
9. SLEEPIER KIDS (MAYBE)
10. MORE CYBERLOAFING ON THE JOB
11. MISTIMED INSULIN SHOTS
12. HIGHER ENERGY BILLS

Even weird little things like if you take medication every 8 hours - do you keep to your ingrained schedule and have a single 9/7 hour gap, or try to re-ingrain your habit?

It would also be simpler if everyone everywhere went on and off of DST, but some do, some don't. In Canada, not everywhere follows it, and some years they change the rules.

I could go on about this for all 25 hours in a day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic