The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2020, 11:25 AM

Default What are you streaming (tv/movie)?

I've had Netflix for about 6 years now. I've reached a point where I'm ready to start non-Netflix content.

Amazon Prime Video is an option (Canada) and I'll probably go with that. I've read great things here on the AGF about The Expanse series but other than that most of what I see consist of shows I've already seen. Disney is an option. Hulu isn't in Canada.

What are you streaming?
Old 10-10-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm way behind you. I don't stream anything, but could. I feel like I'm missing out on some better quality entertainment than what cable now offers. The new HBO and Showtime shows all suck.
I had been thinking about Netflix. But you don't sound all that enthusiastic about it. I'm torn. Of all the content I've looked at, that seems to be the most compatible with my tastes, but not sure if it's worth it. Hulu might be a good alternative. Trouble is, it gets costly if you sign up for too much. Don't mind paying for quality, but where can that be found?
Sorry, not being much help.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-10-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
I'm way behind you. I don't stream anything, but could. I feel like I'm missing out on some better quality entertainment than what cable now offers. The new HBO and Showtime shows all suck.
I had been thinking about Netflix. But you don't sound all that enthusiastic about it. I'm torn. Of all the content I've looked at, that seems to be the most compatible with my tastes, but not sure if it's worth it. Hulu might be a good alternative. Trouble is, it gets costly if you sign up for too much. Don't mind paying for quality, but where can that be found?
Sorry, not being much help.
Hey Andre, Netflix is great but after 6 years (or so) I've watched all the new content that interests me until the newest season of some shows come up. I dropped cable a couple of years ago so streaming is all I have. I'm not going to drop Netflix, only add another streaming service. Netflix basic Canada is $9.99 / month and Amazon Prime is less than that.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Andre, Netflix is great but after 6 years (or so) I've watched all the new content that interests me until the newest season of some shows come up. I dropped cable a couple of years ago so streaming is all I have. I'm not going to drop Netflix, only add another streaming service. Netflix basic Canada is $9.99 / month and Amazon Prime is less than that.
Thanks Dru. I'll keep Netflix on the radar.
It's been a drought lately in terms of good fare. About the only thing I watch on cable (and probably the only reason I keep it) is the Golf Channel. Obviously, it's not for everyone. But it sure has provided some great viewing for the enthusiasts among us.
The cable companies take advantage of golfers though. I've tried all the workarounds, but there are none. You need the higher priced packages to access the GC, so I get 500+ channels just to watch one....
Incidentally, I've streamed a few movies from Amazon, and it works great. Hassle free. So that's another possibility for sure.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-10-2020, 02:44 PM

We ditched Dish a few months ago and went to YouTube TV. This move gave me YouTube in my game room. Dish does not support Ytube on their Joey.. I'm finding a lot more on Youtube these days. The only additional is CBS All Access, my wife wanted to see The Twilight Zone...
Old 10-10-2020, 03:36 PM

Apart from the Expanse (which we loved!) there are some other good shows and films on Prime. I don’t know if you are a Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman fan but they did a really good adaptation of their book Good Omens, over 6 one hour episodes. David Tennant is particularly good as the demon Aziraphale!

I’ve heard good things about Battlestar Galactica which is on Prime as well.

Prime isn’t so expensive and you get the benefit of some free audio books and free postage on stuff you order from Amazon etc.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Dru Yes ,,,,I do Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu (No Adds).

As far as shows on Prime I have just started Expanse . I also liked Jack Ryan but binge watched it and now have to wait for season 3 next year And Bosch starts a bit slow for the first episode or so but gets pretty good

There are a few other shows I check tonight and report back

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-10-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Apart from the Expanse (which we loved!) there are some other good shows and films on Prime. I don’t know if you are a Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman fan but they did a really good adaptation of their book Good Omens, over 6 one hour episodes. David Tennant is particularly good as the demon Aziraphale!

I’ve heard good things about Battlestar Galactica which is on Prime as well.

Prime isn’t so expensive and you get the benefit of some free audio books and free postage on stuff you order from Amazon etc.
Hey Pieter, I order from Amazon all the time with free shipping but Prime will have its benefits with quicker shipping - not that waiting a week for a delivery is bothering me at the moment. Prime in Canada has the X-Files so I would continue with that rather than the DVDs. I was on Season 4 (3rd time through the series) before Netflix Canada dropped them. Law & Order Criminal Intent is another of my favorites.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:39 AM

We have Prime but much prefer Netflix. My wife and I have been binge watching Lucifer and have started Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch (which is an oldie but a good series.)
Old 10-12-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
We have Prime but much prefer Netflix. My wife and I have been binge watching Lucifer and have started Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch (which is an oldie but a good series.)
I find Prime doesn't offer anywhere near as much as Netflix, at least not content I'm interested in, but it would tie me over for a few months until Netflix gets updated seasons ... which could be another year.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:02 AM

I watch Netflix and Amazon (although I have Showtime and HBO, so I can stream them too).

Just started to watch Godless on Netflix. A few episodes in and I like it. Finished the docuseries on the Challenger Explosion last week too. Enjoyed that as well.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Dru,

Have you checked the content on Britbox or Acorn? Either of these streaming services offer classic UK content.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-12-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Dru,

Have you checked the content on Britbox or Acorn? Either of these streaming services offer classic UK content.
Hey Jim, just checked out both. Probably not something I'd subscribe to but Bitbox has Are You Being Served, Father Ted and Fawlty Towers - great shows. I wish Father Ted had more episodes (I've seen them all before).
Old 10-12-2020, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Everything is streaming for us.

YouTube.tv - Best television service hands down. Unlimited recording, great channel lineup, works across all devices, can be accessed even when out of town on any device.

Netfilx - Awesome, but yeah, have seen much of what I want to see already. Nothing hitting me over the head as awesome that's new. Still, wouldn't get rid of it.

Amazon Prime - We have Prime anyway for shopping. Some really good stuff there, but I don't use it a ton.

Apple TV Plus - Ted Lasso is the best new show I've seen this year. Funny, smart, relentlessly optimistic, it's exactly what we need during this difficult time. LOVE Ted Lasso.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:21 PM

Currently watching “Away” on Netflix.
Some of the series weregreat... “Bloodlines”, Ozark were really well done.
On the other hand, some of the other stuff is awful and a lot of it is way beyond what we can stomach. I won’t elaborate except to say it’s
deep into the gutter.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic