The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Last year I gave my daughter the Canon FTb and all the lenses I've had since the early 70's and she's more into film now than digital but she's on her way to becoming a good photographer and artist.
I've got a Canon FTb sitting on my bookshelf!

My daughter opted for my Mamiya C330...
Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Y'all should check out and contribute to the "share your photos" topic that has been running for a few months now.

I made a meager living at it 40 years ago but took only family photos for a long time after that. Caught the passion again when I retired 10 years ago.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 10-08-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:22 AM

robj144, the B&W, infrared film? Looks it to me..

I dabbled in that medium for a while. I got some amazing landscapes, all in print tho, nothing in jpeg.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:53 AM

My dad was a photographer in WWII, thus, I got the photography bug at an early age. In junior high school I learned how to work a Graflex 4x5 camera. In the subsequent years I acquired three 35 mm cameras and a collection of lenses. I eventually added 6x6 twin lens reflex to the group. I was just about to start a home darkroom when digital photography became popular. I started using the digital camera and found that I put hundreds of digital images onto CD-ROMS, only to let the CD's languish on a shelf. I also learned that I did not enjoy fooling with the computer after I made the images. Thus, my interest in photography has waned. I still look at my film cameras, three of which will operate without batteries, and think about using film again. However, the selection of emulsions has diminished along with places to get the film processed. The price of film has also increased a lot from the "good old days".
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Yep, always loved photography, along with keyboards and guitars....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I made a living as a photographer for 30+ years and retired from the field when digital took over. These days I don't even have a working camera- digital or otherwise. .....
In college I got into photography big time, both for art and photojournalism. Made most of my money shooting assignments for the college and local newspaper, the yearbook, and for the university. Some weeks I would shoot 20-25 rolls of B&W film and process it all myself, and some Ektachrome slides processed by the E6 method and printed personally. I spent way too many nights in the three darkrooms that I could access. I gave it all up just as digital came along, and don't miss it.

I have some special images, like a swim team diver who went off the high platform in near darkness while I popped off strobes with an open shutter, to combine 4-5 freeze frames into one image. Another was using infrared film through an IR filter over a strong flash to capture nighttime road race images without blinding the drivers. Mine were the only published images not shot from behind a passing car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Does former photographer qualify?
Count me in there too. The last time my 35 mm gear was used was to shoot a friend's wedding, and they just had their 20th anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
....both times I've been heavily into photography, I really burned out on it. Because when I'm into it, I can't turn it off. I can't just walk down the street or along a trail and just take in what I see - I'm CONSTANTLY framing photographs in my mind. If I have a camera with me, I often stop to shoot stuff, but even if I don't I often stop to frame stuff, conceptualize an image. And it changes the way I perceive the world. And after a while, it feels really limiting and artificial and get's kind of exhausting. And both times, I got to a point where I just had to stop so I could enjoy life visually again without always "working it". This sounds a little crazy, and I guess it is, but it's what's happened to me now, twice.....
Been there, done that. There was a time when I could not go anywhere without my camera bag, for fear of missing a shot. Used to drive my (now) wife crazy when we'd drive out to the Lake Superior shoreline to watch the beautiful sunset, and I would eventually comment, "...that wasn't worth the film". I could not have a conversation with someone without mentally overlaying a view finder, composing the frame, judging exposure, etc.

But after completing a twelve f-stop program, I'm feeling much better now. Having learned the life lesson about making your hobby into a job, I have never considered music as a profession. I have been paid to perform on numerous occasions, but had no delusions about making it my "real job".
Old 10-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I'd say the two are related in being creative, although one is visual and the other auditory. They're also related in the sense that one can get into the acquisition end of things or keep equipment to a minimum. At their heart, photography and guitar are solitary pursuits, although clearly they can each become a group activity if desired. Although some may disagree, I truly believe that digital technology has improved mainstream participation in each. Digital tuners were a godsend for many, including yours truly, and digital SLRs make the photographic process so much easier to practice and enjoy...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-09-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I've got a Canon FTb sitting on my bookshelf!

My daughter opted for my Mamiya C330...
My daughter is asking for my Mamiya RB67 but since she's cracked the screens on the last three iPhones she's had (all on her nickel) I don't see this camera changing hands any time soon.

The C330 is a good camera, for sure, btw.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
But after completing a twelve f-stop program, I'm feeling much better now. Having learned the life lesson about making your hobby into a job, I have never considered music as a profession. I have been paid to perform on numerous occasions, but had no delusions about making it my "real job".
I think you just need to have the right hobby. I made my hobby my profession and it's still my hobby.

As for "burn out", you've gotta' change things up every so often. I've been shooting with Canon gear and L Series lenses for years. I just bought a Fuji X100F for the trip my girlfriend and I are making to New York City today.

It's got a fixed 23mm lens, so it dictates that I approach my photography a little differently.

It drives creativity...
Old 10-10-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
...Fuji X100F .....

It's got a fixed 23mm lens, so it dictates that I approach my photography a little differently.

It drives creativity...
...or, limits creativity. BTDT
Old 10-10-2019, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...It's got a fixed 23mm lens, so it dictates that I approach my photography a little differently.

It drives creativity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
...or, limits creativity.
I can see it both ways and maybe that's another similarity between guitars and cameras. One can enter at either the most restrictive end or the less restrictive end of equipment and still indulge creativity...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-10-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 AM

Photography was the resume item that launched my tech career. In high school I worked as a darkroom technician and on occasion got with camera assignments for a magazine and newspaper company. When desktop publishing started I knew about pre-press and printing.

With what I knew about photography and the professional side, I got a job that used to be called program manager or Apple evangelist. I moved from managing an education channel sales program to proof of concept, demo and implementing cutting edge technologies for a list of targeted businesses or fortune 500 firms in the area.

I have fun looking at what we take for granted now. In that job spanning late '89s and start of commercial Internet I was a Photoshop beta tester, Kodak digital camera back beta tester, and chuckle thinking about being a Newton beta tester compared to a modern mobile device.

One that stands out was a demo we did moving early digital images from street corner in San Francisco to a major food and insurance firm. Two VPs at the food company said you'll never replace what we can do with our cameras and private jets. The jets and whole division of the company are gone now. Those early digital camera backs needed a SCSI hard drive. I had to insure the 2 megapixel cameras for something like $16,000 - $17,000 when shipping them to someone or somewhere else. The getting images across a wire is what started the now long-running career. The next step was Cisco, Microsoft and IBM certifications for the Internet and tech stuff we take for granted now.

One of my kids will use an early 1950s camera I have but reality is pretty much now puts is in a world of computational photography more than ever.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Photography was the resume item that launched my tech career. In high school I worked as a darkroom technician and on occasion got with camera assignments for a magazine and newspaper company. When desktop publishing started I knew about pre-press and printing.

With what I knew about photography and the professional side, I got a job that used to be called program manager or Apple evangelist. I moved from managing an education channel sales program to proof of concept, demo and implementing cutting edge technologies for a list of targeted businesses or fortune 500 firms in the area.

I have fun looking at what we take for granted now. In that job spanning late '89s and start of commercial Internet I was a Photoshop beta tester, Kodak digital camera back beta tester, and chuckle thinking about being a Newton beta tester compared to a modern mobile device.

One that stands out was a demo we did moving early digital images from street corner in San Francisco to a major food and insurance firm. Two VPs at the food company said you'll never replace what we can do with our cameras and private jets. The jets and whole division of the company are gone now. Those early digital camera backs needed a SCSI hard drive. I had to insure the 2 megapixel cameras for something like $16,000 - $17,000 when shipping them to someone or somewhere else. The getting images across a wire is what started the now long-running career. The next step was Cisco, Microsoft and IBM certifications for the Internet and tech stuff we take for granted now.

One of my kids will use an early 1950s camera I have but reality is pretty much now puts is in a world of computational photography more than ever.

I keep wishing that someone would produce a digital film cassette for those old 35 mm cameras. It would be a lot of fun. But the $$$ are just not there. You would have to really think about aperture and shutter speed!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I keep wishing that someone would produce a digital film cassette for those old 35 mm cameras. It would be a lot of fun. But the $$$ are just not there. You would have to really think about aperture and shutter speed!
Fuji does a great job with their film simulations on the X series. I use them all the time on my X-T2. But I’m not sure if that’s the kind of thing you mean by “digital film cassette”. Sounds more like you want to use the old cameras? I get that but try a Fuji X with all the manual dials. Quite an enjoyable shooting experience.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 10-10-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Fuji does a great job with their film simulations on the X series. I use them all the time on my X-T2. But I’m not sure if that’s the kind of thing you mean by “digital film cassette”. Sounds more like you want to use the old cameras? I get that but try a Fuji D with all the manual dials. Quite an enjoyable shooting experience.
I believe he means something that I used to think would be a great idea. A digital processor that fits where a 35mm film cartridge does, with a "tongue" that fits over the shutter aperture that is a sensor to capture the image. Nice concept, but probably impractical/impossible to actual achieve. There would have to be some ways of interconnecting the device to the controls of the camera (I am, in particular, thinking of mechanical cameras). In theory, the DX contacts could be used but, again, impractical to implement, IMO.

If I remember, I'll bring the subject up with a friend who designed all the digital stuff for Kodak back in the day,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic