The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-09-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yairimann View Post
I'm not one for formally observing ceremonies even though living in small towns,I've usually lived vey close to cenotaphs.
I'll usually read a few memoirs or histories especially of the Great War, which particularly interests me. Right now I'm 3/4s through "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat.
I signed up for Netflix a month or two ago specifically to watch "They Shall Not Grow Old." Then found out among all the documentaries they have, they don't have that one. Oops!
I'll also phone my 95 year old Aunt who served in the WACs in the last year of the Second World War. We owe everything to these people and should at least remember them.
The Cruel Sea is a fantastic film, almost unknown these days. A truly remarkable movie to watch w/young people - kids, et al - so they can see how fortunate they are, and how brave/fortunate/unfortunate many were, "back then".

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 11-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

My hobby is studying WWII. I've got a WWII-era British artificial horizon sitting on the surround speaker behind the couch where I am sitting to type this. It is the type used by the RAF in their fighters and bombers during the war. In the '80s, all of the old used-up artificial horizons in the inventory were screwed down to wooden wedges to be used as book ends and to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the birth of the Spitfire and sold off. It is there to remind me of my uncle, a Spitfire pilot, who died near Liverpool during the war.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic