The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I believe he means something that I used to think would be a great idea. A digital processor that fits where a 35mm film cartridge does, with a "tongue" that fits over the shutter aperture that is a sensor to capture the image. Nice concept, but probably impractical/impossible to actual achieve. There would have to be some ways of interconnecting the device to the controls of the camera (I am, in particular, thinking of mechanical cameras). In theory, the DX contacts could be used but, again, impractical to implement, IMO.

If I remember, I'll bring the subject up with a friend who designed all the digital stuff for Kodak back in the day,
Gotcha, interesting. I'm pretty happy with the film sims I use now in my Fuji. That sounds like a headache!
Old 10-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I keep wishing that someone would produce a digital film cassette for those old 35 mm cameras. It would be a lot of fun. But the $$$ are just not there. You would have to really think about aperture and shutter speed!
Most halfway decent digital cameras these days have a fully manual mode, where you have to think about all three exposure dimensions - so that's not really a factor.

The big difference is that the feedback from digital is pretty much instant, and you don't have to wait for that roll of 36 to come back to realize that you forgot something super basic

I have a couple of rather nice 'legacy' Minolta lenses that I can use on my Sony a6500, with a suitable adapter. I tried to convince myself that the 'manual, purist experience' was the way to go, but in practice, I find myself rarely using them.

My Sony lenses (10-18, 18-105, 70-300), do a better job, with far less effort on my part, allowing me to focus more on the image, without letting the gear get in my way.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Most halfway decent digital cameras these days have a fully manual mode, where you have to think about all three exposure dimensions - so that's not really a factor.

The big difference is that the feedback from digital is pretty much instant, and you don't have to wait for that roll of 36 to come back to realize that you forgot something super basic

I have a couple of rather nice 'legacy' Minolta lenses that I can use on my Sony a6500, with a suitable adapter. I tried to convince myself that the 'manual, purist experience' was the way to go, but in practice, I find myself rarely using them.

My Sony lenses (10-18, 18-105, 70-300), do a better job, with far less effort on my part, allowing me to focus more on the image, without letting the gear get in my way.
My Canon 6D has never left the Manual mode, and my L series lenses are always used in MF.

In my 35mm dayz I got tired of waiting to expose 36 frames, so I went to sheet film.

My range of lenses of cover 17mm through 200mm, but as that is with a FF camera I am good to go. I do sometimes think of going even wider, but in reality my lan is to get all the TS-E lenses for the 6D.

I wish there were simple, fully manual digital SLRs out there, but so far as I know there are none, just the various Leica M series of digital rangefinder bodies.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
My Canon 6D has never left the Manual mode, and my L series lenses are always used in MF.

In my 35mm dayz I got tired of waiting to expose 36 frames, so I went to sheet film.

My range of lenses of cover 17mm through 200mm, but as that is with a FF camera I am good to go. I do sometimes think of going even wider, but in reality my lan is to get all the TS-E lenses for the 6D.

I wish there were simple, fully manual digital SLRs out there, but so far as I know there are none, just the various Leica M series of digital rangefinder bodies.
Most if not all have fully manual modes, but sounds like you're wondering about only manual? That's interesting. No use for aperture or shutter prio? I use aperture all the time, setting ISO and aperture manually and letting the camera pick the shutter. Makes me faster in portrait shoots.

6D is a really nice camera. I've moved to Fuji ASPC, but made wonderful images with the 6D.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Great to have choices, isn't it?

Quote:
Not sure I see the point. You can always shoot full manual with just about any modern camera, DSLR, mirrorless or otherwise.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-11-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Great to have choices, isn't it?

Not sure I see the point. You can always shoot full manual with just about any modern camera, DSLR, mirrorless or otherwise.
My Nikon 750 rarely see's anything but full manual.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Any photographers out there?

Quote:
I believe he means something that I used to think would be a great idea. A digital processor that fits where a 35mm film cartridge does, with a "tongue" that fits over the shutter aperture that is a sensor to capture the image. Nice concept, but probably impractical/impossible to actual achieve. There would have to be some ways of interconnecting the device to the controls of the camera (I am, in particular, thinking of mechanical cameras). In theory, the DX contacts could be used but, again, impractical to implement, IMO.

If I remember, I'll bring the subject up with a friend who designed all the digital stuff for Kodak back in the day,

I think one start up promised to do just that, but it was either a fraud or just never got off the ground.
My idea would be to have the cassette blue-tooth to your phone for some control and backup and a view screen. Possible, But impractical. You would have get it down to 200 dollars and sell a million...just not going to happen. And would the sensor be too thick?
I would love to be able to use my old Konica stuff that way.
And it would be great for photography classes. Students could learn the fundamentals.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I've got a Canon FTb sitting on my bookshelf!

My daughter opted for my Mamiya C330...
I started on the TLb, the FTb's little brother and pined for the Mamiya C330.

Ah the good ol' days...

But in the interest of full disclosure, I still consider my 8x10 field camera my "hobby" camera

Best,
PJ

Last edited by Photojeep; 10-11-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:19 PM

For you guys talking about 6Ds. I got one when my 5D died. It is a very impressive camera. I had my old 5D and flash setting down pretty good, so the 6D does challenge me in that regard. But the images are great and the in camera processing is impressive. I imagine the Mark II is better, but I hardly use any of the 6d features. I do really like that it can Bluetooth to my phone.
As you can tell Grandpa is a little behind the times, but it is all good fun!
Old 10-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
And would the sensor be too thick?
The pressure plate was floating and probably has a enough "backlash/play" to allow for a thin sensor. Again, if I remember, I could ask my friend about the this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
...FTb .....

But in the interest of full disclosure, I still consider my 8x10 field camera my "hobby" camera
I started out on a FTb in high school astronomy class. While in college I got an AE-1 Program that I used for about a year, then straight traded it for a FTb-N that I used until getting an F-1n about a year after that

For many years I had a pre=war Deardorff 8x10 with a triple convertible Wollensak Velostigmat lens.

Quote:
For you guys talking about 6Ds. I got one when my 5D died. It is a very impressive camera. I had my old 5D and flash setting down pretty good, so the 6D does challenge me in that regard. But the images are great and the in camera processing is impressive. I imagine the Mark II is better, but I hardly use any of the 6d features. I do really like that it can Bluetooth to my phone.
As you can tell Grandpa is a little behind the times, but it is all good fun!
I used to have a 30D, which was basically a 5D in APS-C format. I gave that to a friend of mine when I got my 6D.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Photography is a passion of mine, along with acoustic guitar. I was a long-time Canon shooter until last year, when I moved to Nikon. Both platforms are excellent, but I moved because I prefer the Sony sensors in the upper tier Nikons (mine is a D810).

Here are a few shots from this year...

Lovely Morning in Shenandoah by Neal Lewis, on Flickr

Redhead Girl by Neal Lewis, on Flickr

Sun Rises in an Ocean of Fog by Neal Lewis, on Flickr

Shenandoah Sunrise Admiration by Neal Lewis, on Flickr

Winter Reflections by Neal Lewis, on Flickr

Look Back Girl by Neal Lewis, on Flickr

Spring Beauty! by Neal Lewis, on Flickr
Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

I'm on a trip through Europe right now. My "regular" camera rig is Sony A7R3 / 24-105. First night here, only took my Pixel 3xl on a stroll through Amsterdam the other night. Blurry night sight photo but the moment is memorable.

IMG_20191011_203303.jpg

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Martin 2008 000-18 Golden Era

Last edited by Steve-arino; 10-13-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:50 AM

Talk about "being out of the loop", I have a Leica IIIg, circa 1956, SM with a bunch of lenses etc. is there any trade value for this stuff? "Geez, I made good time---where am I?"

Fog
Old 10-13-2019, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You need to post your pics here.
I would like to but I'd as they are all prints from negatives (i.e. real film) and "adjusted" in the darkroom, I'd have to re-photograph them all.

It's something I've been thinking about.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I would like to but I'd as they are all prints from negatives (i.e. real film) and "adjusted" in the darkroom, I'd have to re-photograph them all.

It's something I've been thinking about.
What's film ????

Just kiddin,, I used to go to the U-Print store in Portland Or., where an amateur could rent a darkroom by the hour. I also have hundreds of photos and slides that I should convert to digital

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic