The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Default Boss VE-8 vs AD10

Anyone compare these 2 pedals? I realize the AD10 is ONLY for guitar and the VE-8 is for guitar AND vocals, but speaking from the guitar side of things, what are the differences? They are both priced at around $250.00. I currently have a pedal I use for mostly vocals (harmonies, delay, etc) so if I get the AD10, I will use both separately. If I get the VE-8, I can do away with that and only use the VE-8 for everything. As far as I can tell, the only things I would lose with the VE-8 on the guitar is compression and an EQ section.

Anyone else compare these two and what did you go with?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

As far as I can tell, the only things I would lose with the VE-8 on the guitar is compression and an EQ section.

I don't know much about the AD10, but the VE-8 does have EQ for both voice and guitar. It takes some effort to access, though, something like long-pressing the loop button and using other controls like the Enhance knob and two others for low/mid/high. Depends on how much patience you have for that, I have zilch.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Thanks I didn't know about that hidden feature. I was just going by the outside knobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
As far as I can tell, the only things I would lose with the VE-8 on the guitar is compression and an EQ section.

I don't know much about the AD10, but the VE-8 does have EQ for both voice and guitar. It takes some effort to access, though, something like long-pressing the loop button and using other controls like the Enhance knob and two others for low/mid/high. Depends on how much patience you have for that, I have zilch.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 PM

AD-10 has a Boost pedal that the VE-8 didn’t get.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Right. For me that's not a big deal though. I am strumming chords 90% of the time, so no need to boost anything. Also I can leave my guitar volume a little less than full and turn it up if needed in spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Old 05-13-2019, 04:58 PM

There are multiple levels to all the knobs shown, the manual you can download for the VE-8 is very helpful. Obviously, eq being a big one, but there is a ton going on under the hood.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:20 PM

I use the VE8 and really like it for my solo and Duo shows. But To me it’s a set and forget device for my guitar and vocals. It not really easy to tweak on the fly since it’s on the floor. So I have 2-3 memory slots preset and usually choose one and play it all night.

I use mainly guitar Chorus, Reverb and Delay.
Vocal Enhance, Reverb and occasional harmony and double.
I use the looper for few songs. Which works fine for my simple needs,

As Chriscom mentioned the VE8 does have separate EQ for guitar and Vocals. But it takes pressing 2 buttons to engage. So not easy to do during performance. Again, set it and forget type device.

It appears the AD-10 is way more robust features and much easier to tweak.. more knobs should make it easier.

I do miss not having a boost, so I am currently looking how to add one.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 PM

I should add that I have a Martin with the Fishman Aura pickup so I really have no need for any acoustic resonance type of effect since those are meant for typical UST pickups that need help. I am also considering the TRex Soulmate, but it’s pretty pricey compared to the competition.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:18 AM

Default VE-8 Compressor?

Has anybody figured out if there is a compressor effect that you can adjust for the guitar ?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post

The AD10 has external, easy access, knobs for bass, mids, treble and presence. Also a low cut switch.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Since I loop with the AD10 and play solos over the loop, a boost is a necessity for me.

I also sometimes use the boost for fingerpicking to bring it up to the volume of pick strumming.

The boost on the AD10 works great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification