The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-27-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Totally awesome--the deign of this entire instrument really speaks to me.

Congrats!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:07 AM

Hi Guys,

Sneak peak at Joel's Finisher :

Should be back at Joel's shop in about a month I think

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 08-26-2019, 03:27 PM

WOW, this finish really makes this build jump right out and grab you. Can’t wait to see it all assembled.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

So beautiful man.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:11 AM

Oh my...I love the amazon rosewood, it is so stunning. Also, love the arm + rib bevel features. Can't wait to see more pictures coming in.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Hi guys,

Unfortunately there will be some delay with the finishing job. Not a huge deal as I prefer my guitar to be perfect...

In any case, here you can have a look at the "roughly" shaped bridge that Joel made. It follows the lines of the rosette and is asymetrical which is a nice touch ! Joel really thinks of everything.

I was hesitant between Bois de Rose and Rocklite for the Bridge material, and left Joel decide on this. He thought rocklite would probably have the edge at least to match the fretboard that is also in rocklite. The weight difference between the two material is quite small... So Rocklite it is. Also, on a side note, the bridge backplate is made of pernambuco which tends to be on the heavier side, so coupling a slightly lighter bridge with a slightly heavier backplate might be best.

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :

Last edited by grosskate; 09-23-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Change of bridge material explained
Old 10-28-2019, 02:37 AM

The guitar is still not out of the finisher... But I've got some nice pics to share :

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :
Old 10-28-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Very tasteful work. Love the colors and straightness of that Amazon RW.

I wonder where Joel sits on the tonal spectrum. My intuition would go more towards the "modern" school, but he specified in a recent TNAG interview that he favors solid fundamental and "just the right amount" of overtones. Would love to try his guitars one day.

The link, just for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDBtXxD0jh4&t=791s

Cheers,
Tom
Old 10-29-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Very tasteful work. Love the colors and straightness of that Amazon RW.

I wonder where Joel sits on the tonal spectrum. My intuition would go more towards the "modern" school, but he specified in a recent TNAG interview that he favors solid fundamental and "just the right amount" of overtones. Would love to try his guitars one day.

The link, just for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDBtXxD0jh4&t=791s

Cheers,
Tom
I'll let Marcus answer this question for you

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :
Old 10-29-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post

And here I thought, “solid fundamental with just enough overtones”, was the new modern . Looking forward to what Marcus has to say......

Guitar is looking fantastic, the wait must be getting difficult.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virob View Post

Guitar is looking fantastic, the wait must be getting difficult.

Honestly, not really... It must sound weird, but I've had so many bad adventures with custom built guitars, that I don't really care if it takes longer than it should, as long as it's perfect.

I trust Joel to lift my curse with custom guitars.

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :
Old 10-31-2019, 03:17 AM

Hey guys, I've been absent from the forum for quite a while as business has been pretty busy! Thank you for summoning me back @grosskate hahah

@Valliant75, the "modern" sound is more of a general and loosely used term to encompass anything that isn't "traditional" or "vintage" or "Martin" sounding. Joel is definitely in the modern camp of sound. However, in the modern camp, there are huge variations in tone too. If we are talking about overtones, Goodall would be one of the more overtone rich brands, while other builders like Michaud and Traugott try to strive for a bit more fundamental, allowing the true tone of the guitar to shine through.

Joel's tone is very much fundamental. I like to describe it as pure. Of course, he has overtones too and lots of depth, however, the overtones are more of an accompaniment to his sound rather than the main part of it. They do not get in the way of the sound and are tastefully lingering in the background. Of course, when you upsize to his Jumbo, the overtones are much more obvious than his OM, but still extremely focused with clarity.

To this date, Joel's guitars are still one of my absolute favourites. I really lucked out on picking Joel for my first luthier built guitar. I honestly expected to find some of the very expensive builders to beat Joel as my top few luthiers, but through the years of playing almost every single guitar around, Joel still stands out in my top 5.

It would be quite surprising to know but his list has practically been closed since 2016, currently still with a 3 year waiting list. He only takes orders through his dealers sometimes, or if you have a particularly interesting guitar he wants to build like a full "The Tree" which he has done before with a nomex core top.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-31-2019, 06:07 AM

That may be the nicest and most quartersawn set of amazon rosewood I have seen yet! Michaud guitars tend to appear to have virtually perfect fit and finish so it is bound to be spectacular in person!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 AM

It seems to me that the contemporary tone has undergone a shift over the years to have more separation in the notes and to emphasize the fundamental over the overtones more and more.1 it is the older Luthiers and shops that tend to build with more of an overtone which sound such as James Goodall for example. We can track this development in the tone for eample of Michael bashkin and Ervin somogyi - I understand that the tone has undergone a change from more overtone richness to more note separation over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hey guys, I've been absent from the forum for quite a while as business has been pretty busy! Thank you for summoning me back @grosskate hahah

@Valliant75, the "modern" sound is more of a general and loosely used term to encompass anything that isn't "traditional" or "vintage" or "Martin" sounding. Joel is definitely in the modern camp of sound. However, in the modern camp, there are huge variations in tone too. If we are talking about overtones, Goodall would be one of the more overtone rich brands, while other builders like Michaud and Traugott try to strive for a bit more fundamental, allowing the true tone of the guitar to shine through.

Joel's tone is very much fundamental. I like to describe it as pure. Of course, he has overtones too and lots of depth, however, the overtones are more of an accompaniment to his sound rather than the main part of it. They do not get in the way of the sound and are tastefully lingering in the background. Of course, when you upsize to his Jumbo, the overtones are much more obvious than his OM, but still extremely focused with clarity.

To this date, Joel's guitars are still one of my absolute favourites. I really lucked out on picking Joel for my first luthier built guitar. I honestly expected to find some of the very expensive builders to beat Joel as my top few luthiers, but through the years of playing almost every single guitar around, Joel still stands out in my top 5.

It would be quite surprising to know but his list has practically been closed since 2016, currently still with a 3 year waiting list. He only takes orders through his dealers sometimes, or if you have a particularly interesting guitar he wants to build like a full "The Tree" which he has done before with a nomex core top.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:42 AM

Joel can tweak the overtone output content in his guitars during the voicing process. Of couse it depends on the wood combo he uses to do so, but he knows what to do to keep them at bay when need be. I asked him that I wanted strong fondamentals with small overtones content that I don't want to be too present. I think it fits what he does naturally. Same with his vision of his FLAT EQ responding guitar which was what I'm after.

I think too much overtones gives you impressions of a rich sound at first, but doesn't help with clarity and not separation... Like If there was too much to the sound. Of course it depends on the style you play. If you keep a small overtones content in the sound, I think you can't go wrong.

Since I'll use this guitar for many styles, I think it's the right choice to go in this direction.

Good thing that I was able to visit Joel, as he could see me playing and have better inputs on how to build and brace this guitar.

Very curious to see and play the finished guitar.

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
amazon, fan fret, michaud made, moon spruce