The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 05:53 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Be careful stringing the "E"s like you said. Stringing it so the "E"s have a more straight shot into the nut (toward the outside of the headstock closer to the tuners) may dig into the channels in the headstock and give you some nasty scratches (or worse). I assume this is the reason you always see slot head guitars strung the way your guitar came.
Good call out. Looking more closely, you are correct that there is a concern about the string rubbing against the slot edge. Where it sits right now there is clearance, but I can definitely see the possibility of it making contact if the string is too far to the outside.

That would be bad.

Appreciate the heads up!
Old 04-28-2024, 06:41 PM

Well good deal and I hope you enjoy it. I didn't expect it to sound real loud but for knocking around the house, keeping your chops up and writing.....well it should be fine!!!

Enjoy!!

And glad to know you took and had someone take a spin on it. I never did that before on any other guitar I bought myself beside that new reissue Gibson 57 I bought..but it does put a different perspective on the guitar itself.

Have fun!!!!
Old 04-28-2024, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the shout out, TheGITM--Long and short of it, I'm going to need a lung transplant, like soon, if I qualify. In the process now. But my life is full of so many blessings--wonderful family and friends, music and art. I can still play guitar and still teach my three keen students every week! I've had a glorious, buoyant run. Hoping for more but completely at peace with whatever direction the great river of time takes me.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
As I'm sure everyone expected... I did the deal.

Here's the breakdown: Retail on it was $4,599. I wanted it under $4,000. The most they could do was -$500 (all corporate will allow) getting it to $4,099, so they added over $100 worth of free merch. I grabbed some string and such... free. So it was $4,099 + tax, making it $4,483.34 out the door with over $100 in free merch.

Now, for the fun part. I generally do not like debt vehicles, but they have a Gear Card with a current promotion of 48 months at 0% interest. They also have a 10% promotion for purchases over $499. So, I get them to lend me the money at 0% interest over 48 months and I get a gift card for $410 to use in store. I'm planning to use the gift card on some recording-related stuff.

Guys, I can't pass up 0% interest deals. I get to keep my money working for me while paying them <$100 a month... that put it over the top for me, so I now own a Martin 0012-28 Modern Deluxe acoustic guitar.

It is truly an exceptional guitar.
Congratulations on your new guitar! Awesome!

- Glenn
Old 04-29-2024, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Glad you got it. I bet that is a wonderful guitar.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-29-2024, 06:58 AM

Good for you! Hope you enjoy it immensely.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:46 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Thanks for the shout out, TheGITM--Long and short of it, I'm going to need a lung transplant, like soon, if I qualify. In the process now. But my life is full of so many blessings--wonderful family and friends, music and art. I can still play guitar and still teach my three keen students every week! I've had a glorious, buoyant run. Hoping for more but completely at peace with whatever direction the great river of time takes me.
I feel you, man. I can thankfully say that I (think I) would feel much the same in your position. I'm pulling for you to get the best outcome possible, but also am happy to hear that you are okay with whatever happens. We will all be there one day, one way or another.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I think you made the right decision...Congrats & Enjoy!

Last edited by gmel555; 04-30-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on our new guitar! I had a chance to play that model recently and it was wonderful sounding and playing. I hope you enjoy lots of hours with it.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a great guitar. I consider all of mine investments in the sense that they each bring me such joy and satisfaction that balances out the negatives that happen to us all. May this be the case for you and this beautiful new guitar.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:22 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Thanks, all, for the kind words... and sharing this with me.

I'll just say that the guitar is a wonderful instrument and I am incredibly pleased to have it. It plays like nothing else I own, and it's now my default 'pick it up and play it' guitar. I still love the others, and they each have their own uniqueness, but I didn't know what I was missing before this guitar.

For anyone that doesn't play or own a 12 fret 00-style (or similar), you should really find one and try it out.

I'm now motivated to invest a few $ in some decent recording equipment...

That's my PSA for Thursday!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion