The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Default John Prine Live

Just listened to the album start to finish and it warmed my heart and brought both tears and smiles. Have heard all the songs before but not this live set. Just had to share!
Old 12-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashondan2018 View Post
Just listened to the album start to finish and it warmed my heart and brought both tears and smiles. Have heard all the songs before but not this live set. Just had to share!
Thats how I describe him to the un-initiated: smiling through the tears
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-02-2021, 05:09 PM

I love John Prine.

I first saw him live at age 16 in 1976 and last saw him live Dec 2018. The day before he played his last Toronto show he recorded this gorgeous 45 minute intimate house concert at George Strombolopolis' home. Even 80 yr old Gordon Lightfoot is sitting on the floor as an audience member.

If you love Prine, you'll love this concert video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rkm_dqm7A
Old 12-02-2021, 05:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Thats how I describe him to the un-initiated: smiling through the tears
I echo both of these sentiments.

A quick story. I saw John and his band in San Diego around 2016. The place was filled to the rafters. He was doing a one-off show with Kristofferson. KK actually opened, then JP put on a two-hour in songwriter.

Most of the audience was female, and most of them were there to see the sex symbol KK in the flesh.

There were two young women sitting in front of us who had never seen him. By the middle of the set they were in tears -- tears of compassion, of sorrow, of joy and forgiveness.

On the way out of the hall after the show, I overheard so many people say, "Who IS this guy? How come I've never heard of him.

His songs had that kind of effect on people. Rest in Peace, Handsome Johnny.

scott memmer
Old 12-02-2021, 05:45 PM

There is so much of his music that is remarkable. Many of his tunes are memorable for many reasons but his solo 'official' version video on YT of Summers End and the message that it brings, brings me to tears each time I watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbEFTv9zr0
Old 12-02-2021, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Scott,
What a show! JP and KK together? I saw both of them in recent years, and they had much in common.

The audience spanned young to really old, but the years all blended and disappeared.

There was lots of love from both the stage and the crowd. Both forgot a few verses or got them out of order, and actually joked about it, and we all laughed along and forgave.

There was exactly twice as many smiles and tears as there was people in the crowd. You could hear the ladies and a few gents sob during Jodi and the Kid, and Hello in There.

Given John’s passing and KK’s retirement, those shows are surely ingrained in the hearts of all of us there for all our days.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-02-2021, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

We drove to Nashville for New Years Eve 1999. Saw JP’s New Year’s Eve Show. Of course, we all know he died a few months later. I’m so glad we went…
Old 12-02-2021, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Simply my favorite songwriter.....Period. Saw him numerous times. Once in Tarrytown, NY, Springsteen walked from the back of the place onstage and did a one hour set with him. At the end, Bruce called John the greatest songwriter of our generation.

Last edited by rdamato; 12-02-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boggs View Post
I love John Prine.

I first saw him live at age 16 in 1976 and last saw him live Dec 2018. The day before he played his last Toronto show he recorded this gorgeous 45 minute intimate house concert at George Strombolopolis' home. Even 80 yr old Gordon Lightfoot is sitting on the floor as an audience member.

If you love Prine, you'll love this concert video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rkm_dqm7A
Thanks for sharing this, surprised I hadn’t seen it before.

I never got to see John Prine live sadly, he cancelled two concerts in Edinburgh for health reasons before passing away last year. I’m no less touched by his music though - he remains one of my main songwriting inspirations and seems like he was a wonderful person.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I have loved John Prine since a buddy introduced me to Dear Abbey and Christmas In Prison in elementary school in the late 70’s. Never got a chance to catch a concert and I will always carry that regret.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-02-2021, 06:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Scott,
What a show! JP and KK together? I saw both of them in recent years, and they had much in common.

The audience spanned young to really old, but the years all blended and disappeared.

There was lots of love from both the stage and the crowd. Both forgot a few verses or got them out of order, and actually joked about it, and we all laughed along and forgave.

There was exactly twice as many smiles and tears as there was people in the crowd. You could hear the ladies and a few gents sob during Jodi and the Kid, and Hello in There.

Given John’s passing and KK’s retirement, those shows are surely ingrained in the hearts of all of us there for all our days.
Did you know Kris helped John get his first record deal, and also wrote the liner notes on his first album?

If not, let me know and I will send you the story. So great.

sm
Old 12-02-2021, 06:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you haven't seen this, I guarantee you will split a gut. John could EASILY made a living as a very successful stand-up comic. Prepare to hold your sides.

sm
Old 12-02-2021, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Still miss JP. Saw him live many times, sang his songs for many years, never met him but drove past his house many years ago.

John never had a hit in the UK but despite this his death was reported on BBC national news. He was unique.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 12-02-2021, 06:34 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boggs View Post
I love John Prine.

I hadn't seen that one Dan, thanks for the link. My introduction to JP was on Saturday Night Live, sometime in the late 70's. He did Paradise and a couple others, I forget which ones. I spent half of that night trying to remember the lyrics as I played it quietly in my room so I didn't wake Mom and Dad. I've been a fan since.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
If you haven't seen this, I guarantee you will split a gut. John could EASILY made a living as a very successful stand-up comic. Prepare to hold your sides.

sm
He was more than a talented singer, songwriter and guitar player, he made people laugh, too. Great thread!

Last edited by Dr Dread; 12-02-2021 at 07:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion