The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Would not a full pail of water left in the closed closet put as much, or more, water vapor in the closet air as a semi large sponge over a week's time? And less likely to be left with a dry sponge after the first three days. If you have RH below 20% a sponge should dry out pretty quickly.

Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsteven View Post
Using damp sponges often results in over-humidification. Try putting damp sponges (inside a container please) and a hygrometer inside an empty high quality hard case with good sealings, let it sit there for at least 12 hours, you’ll see the relative humidity stabilizes at a level above 60% in most situations (often goes in the 80% range). If you go down this route, be sure to monitor the RH often and rewet/remove sponges accordingly, which contradicts your original intention of leaving it unattended for a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I've used the sponges in a drilled soap container for years with zero issues of humidity that high. Of course the sponge is just barely damp so that might help. No worries about leaks at all either as it's not dripping wet (I don't usually go a whole week without playing though). YMMV.
There are a number of variables that affect RH, one of them being the type of case. For example, geib-style cases vs fiberglass Calton or ABS Hiscox. I found that my Calton and Hiscox provide a better seal than all plywood cases I have. Because of it leaving a damp sponge inside a plywood case is more forgiving because the “extra moisture” can simply leak out of the case, provided there’s a humidity gradient (ambient RH is low). Another thing is the RH of your guitar room. Where I live the humidity stays in the ideal range for most of the year, so understandably it’s not as dry as other places. If we try to remove all of these variables, we can place a damp sponge and a hygrometer in a sealed container. If you leave it long enough, the RH stabilizes at a level higher than 80%. It’s good that things work out for you with damp sponges. But it is not 100% the case for all situations, therefore the suggestion to monitor RH often and adjust accordingly. Better safe than sorry if we’re talking about a prized instrument.

Since OP is thinking about placing sponges in the closet and not inside the case, I think sponges will help increase the humidity of the closet as intended. That along with Humidipak inside the case may work successfully and prolong the humidipak lifespan in theory. But I’m not sure if regular sponge will stay wet for a week in a room with sub 20% humidity. Maybe Wet Foam suggested above can do the trick.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
Would not a full pail of water left in the closed closet put as much, or more, water vapor in the closet air as a semi large sponge over a week's time? And less likely to be left with a dry sponge after the first three days. If you have RH below 20% a sponge should dry out pretty quickly.

Just a thought.
The thought of it accidentally turning over is enough to keep from tempting me to try that trick.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:56 AM

My acoustics were stored like yours until I moved.
I have wriiten many times I used to hang a wet towell in the closet.
I had to wet it once or twice a day.

BUT, if I were to go for a week or two, I would put individual spongy
devices in each case as it is probably the only way to actually protect
an acoustic from dry air for more than a week.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I do this Bryan Kimsey sponge in a baggie method.
Same here, but OMG not inside the guitar! Up under the headstock (not touching) will humidify the entire inside of the case (2nd Law of thermodynamics!).

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-03-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
........but sometimes go away for about a week and can’t keep the humidifier on........
Humidification for trips lasting a week..? IMHO I'd go the in-case humidifier route. I'd want to avoid even the possibility of over humidifying a small, dark, non-ventilated area (ie, a closet) of my home. Moisture can do too much damage (eg, mold) and may attract 4 and 6 legged roommates. For trips of several weeks I make sure the guitars have been humidified before my trip and then re-charge the in-case humidifiers the day before I leave. If I'm gone several weeks I might put each case inside a clean, large trash bag to slow down moisture loss. The humidifiers and the bags are of course all re-useable. Just an opinion.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I like using Music Nomad's sound hole humidfiers. The "sponge" is microfiber and holds water better than a normal sponge.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-03-2021, 09:54 AM

Thanks all. I guess the problem with that green foam is that it’s not reusable, so I’d be generating a lot of waste. I’m thinking I might just get some big industrial sponges from Home Depot and run a test to see how long the closet stays humid.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
The thought of it accidentally turning over is enough to keep from tempting me to try that trick.
I'm not sure how a pail turns over by itself. Remember, the OP was asking about leaving the guitars for a week on their own.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

How long would it take a properly humidified guitar to dry out and be damaged from lack of ongoing humidification?

My guitar has gone more than a week in sub-20% without any issues. I think it takes some time to dry to the point of cracking.

Is it really worth panicking over a week away? Case, sponge, probably good.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Daughter brought over her low end Ibanez Artwood for me to check out. Frets were slightly protruding. I put it in a case with a damp sponge in open ziplock baggie. Had her leave it for a week. Much improved at that point and further "proper" humidification has it almost back to normal.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:13 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
This is kind of a shot in the dark but thought I’d try. I’ve got several guitars that I have to keep humidified in these dry New England winters, and I do ok with a room humidifier and humidipaks, but sometimes go away for about a week and can’t keep the humidifier on. Since I have most of my guitars cased together in a small closet, I was thinking of leaving a few of those large industrial sponges in the closet to help keep humidity up while I’m away. I can get some big sponges at Home Depot, but wondering if there’s a better option, such as boating/kayak sponges that came up in a google search Anyone done something similar and can point me in the right direction?
Hi Jimi2,

In my experience, new Humidipaks last quite a bit longer than a week. I think the guitars would be fine without humidifying the entire closet.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Just a thought.
I haven’t studied chemistry since high school, but I’m pretty sure that the surface tension of standing water inhibits evaporation. A sponge or other porous material increases the surface area and reduces the surface tension of the water, so the water evaporates more quickly.

If you look at the insides of a Venta Airwasher, it looks like a miniature riverboat paddle wheel that turns in the water, with a fan that blows across the exposed paddles causing the water to evaporate. Pretty ingenious system.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:21 PM

Yeah, I also doubt that a fresh humidipak would dry out completely in a week, but I’ll be going at least a few times over the course of the winter. And I’d rather not have to replace the packs repeatedly, as some
Are already in various states of drying out. I don’t really feel comfortable recharging them, given that some on here have had horror stories about that.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:47 AM

I've never thought of that before but it seems interesting... and Welcome to the AGF!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
Floral Wet Foam Bricks will hold moisture longer than a sponge and they come in large sizes too. I use it instead of sponge for my DIY in case humidifiers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion