The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 10:05 AM

My favorite OM is my 000-15

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I've been through quite a lot of OMs, always searching for the one that sounded like a dread. Because at heart I'm not really an OM guy. I'm a flatpicker and really only enjoy the OM shape for the occasional small guitar fix. 9.9 times out of 10 though I'm grabbing a dread.

At present, I have just one OM in my collection: A 2005 Merrill OM-18 in Adi/Mahogany. It is hands down the most powerful OM I've ever played or owned, with astounding dread like bass and volume. The only other OM that has ever come close to the power of my Merrill is a friend's Pre*War OM in Adi/BRW...at more than 2x the price. But even as good as the Merrill is, it was recently for sale too.

#dreadsforever

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-02-2021, 10:34 AM

For me it is the 000-18GE. The shorter scale length of the 000 size is amazing when paired with an adi top that can handle being really driven is the perfect combo. Normally, you do get more volume from the OM, but the GE is a canon. It's the best guitar size for me.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-02-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Do you prefer OM or OOO body size?
Body size is the same. The differences are in the # of frets and scale lengths. OOO's are 12 or 14 fret with 24.9" scale. OM's are 14 fret with 25.4" scale.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:45 AM

Long a dread guy, OM/000s became my g0-to over the last few years. So dang versatile and comfortable, too.

I was going to say my Eastman E8OM (really a 000 with short scale) is my fave, and it is for finger style. But my Larrivee OM-03 is such a great all-around guitar. The Eastman is more comfortable, easier to play with the short scale, and absolutely loves alt tunings. The Larrivee really does everything well. I've never felt limited by headroom at all...it takes whatever I give it if I'm playing with a pick, but also sounds amazing fingerpicked.

I'll keep both.

Also, you could have a different body style with a 12 fret 000. Those are different animals entirely, and I'd love to add one some day.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

to answer the question, both!
Have gone through a bunch of nice OM's---> the one that has stayed as a favorite is a Collings OM1. Standard OM with mahogany b/s and sitka top. Love the strength and clarity, a powerful om.

Also an older Collings 0002h. 12fret, rosewood b/s, sitka top. After loving on mahogany/sitka of all sizes for a lifetime, discovered that the rosewood versions work best now for my singing/playing style. And really liking the smaller bodies and 12 frets, not louder, not stronger, just different.

We each have a changing ear, so never too late to learn something new.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

While I have a couple of dreads that I go to for singer-songwriter strumming and some flat picking, I prefer the 000 shortscale when it comes to the OM size. I love my recently purchased Atkin 000-37 and 000-Essential - both very resonant, Marinesque and great playability and tone for what I use them for (primarily fingerstyle blues and similar styles.)
Old 12-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

While this is my only OM, I'm lucky to own a few nice instruments, but my Bashkin OM is the favorite guitar I own. I had a lot of fun going back and forth with Michael during the build, and it was finally completed right when C19 hit. Because of this, we never were able to take glamour photos of it. Perhaps this weekend I'll snap some better photos, but this is the only photo I have of it at the moment. It has a Carpathian Spruce top, Zircote B/S, Macassar Ebony bindings and headstock, rosette and end graph inlays by Harvey Leach. The headstock inlay is a Heliconia Flower based off a photo I took in Colombia.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

My West Coast deep body OM from John Kinnaird. I also like my Breedlove Journey Concert but the West Coast is at another level for both ergonomics and tone.

That said, I have discovered dreads for the first time with my Avalon D300a. The West Coast holds it's own tone wise with a different kind of thing but for the most part the Avalon is providing my first introduction into why Dreads are so popular.IMG_20211127_205634471_HDR.jpg
Old 12-02-2021, 12:10 PM

My favorite OM is the one I have (my Larrivee OM-40R). I have a very slight preference for the 000 style, particularly my 000-18 because it is easier to bend strings. Other than that, I don't really notice a difference in scale length.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Santa Cruz and Circa are the two notable OM's that I have played over the years.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-02-2021, 12:32 PM

My Merrill OM18 is my favorite OM and the most impressive I ever played, followed by a friend's Altman deep body OM28 and my Merrill OM28 Adi/Amazon.
Powerful, dynamic, woody non-metallic trebles, while responding to the lightest touch is how I would describe them all three, while each has ist own distinctive voice.

I owned quite a few OMs over the years, and one I will never forget is an early 90s Martin custom shop OM28 Adi/EIR which I stupid sold.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-02-2021, 12:32 PM

Standard Collings OM2G and Collings OM1A. Both are vibrant, colorful, responsive with exceptional head room, and are great finger style or with a pick. My OM2G is my first (but not only) choice--out of a gaggle of nice guitars including 2 dreads, 3 slope dreads and two jumbos--for vocal accompaniment.

These are the best I've heard or played.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

My favorite OM is the one I currently own... an early, pre VTS OM18 Authentic 1933. Strung with GHS PB Thin Core Lights a fingerpickers' dream.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

OM-15 and SWOMGT.

I have however come to believe that I prefer a short scale 000 over an OM. All are great but I will probably sell one of my OMs for a 000 at some point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion