The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 08:34 PM

Hey, KMGreensman--Just sent you a private message. Best, Jack
Old 12-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I've played a few baritones, but my favorite is a Collings 1 that I keep tuned to C# using heavy gauge (14-59) strings. It gets used a lot when I'm with my duo or trio so that I can play in different chord voicings than my fellow guitarist/bandmate.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I've played a few baritones, but my favorite is a Collings 1 that I keep tuned to C# using heavy gauge (14-59) strings. It gets used a lot when I'm with my duo or trio so that I can play in different chord voicings than my fellow guitarist/bandmate.
I just picked up a couple of sets of heavy gauge acoustic guitar strings and will try it in both C# and D tunings to see where I like it best on my baritone.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:05 AM

I have a Luciano Maggi which I bought from a young woman because it was just too big for her and hurt her shoulder. I got a really great deal as she sold it for 2 grand and when I contacted Maggi for a value he said it would be $8000 to make. His classicals mostly go for 10 grand or more. I understand what she was experiencing in that the 28 inch scale is challenging, the guitar is a monster. But it certainly is the most valuable and beautiful instrument I have, and I'm willing to do the work. Using a strap eases the shoulder difficulty. What I particularly like about it is that it suits my vocal range. I can sing comfortably with it, where as with my other six strings I have to stretch for high notes. And of course, when you capo you capo up the neck.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:55 AM

You know, baritone bodies do not have to be large. Mine is not one of my largest guitars, kind of on the slight size for an OM - but your left arm does reach out further because of the scale. The scale of course is what makes it a baritone. If I capo at the second fret, then it is exactly like my regular guitars - but still lower.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Baritones are my main guitars. My Brook has a short scale (26.4"), which makes it perfect for C with heavy strings. As many have noted, a range of baritone guitars sound superb with heavies in C# instead of baritone gauge strings tuned to B. My Froggy Bottom can be tuned standard with mediums or baritone strings to B, and everything in between. I enjoy to richer bass and mellower tone for my style of playing.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Baritones are my main guitars. My Brook has a short scale (26.4"), which makes it perfect for C with heavy strings. As many have noted, a range of baritone guitars sound superb with heavies in C# instead of baritone gauge strings tuned to B. My Froggy Bottom can be tuned standard with mediums or baritone strings to B, and everything in between. I enjoy to richer bass and mellower tone for my style of playing.

I really like the idea of a baritone as well, but am a rank beginner, less than 1 year. Assuming I stick with playing (the plan), at what point might it be worth considering one? Are they much different to play? Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-02-2021, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I really like the idea of a baritone as well, but am a rank beginner, less than 1 year. Assuming I stick with playing (the plan), at what point might it be worth considering one? Are they much different to play? Thanks for your thoughts!
I'd say now! Really no different to play - just longer scale to get used to. The difference in depth and key might train your ear in a different playing direction, though, which is why a small investment (like maybe the Alvarez option) now might pay off.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:55 PM

I owned a Tacoma baritone for about 8 years. Was captivated by the tone. But it had a 28 inch scale, was tuned B to B, and the sixth string was .70.

I never got comfortable playing it. I’d pull it out and enjoy it for an afternoon, and then it would sit in its case for months. Didn’t really want to sell it, but did, about two years ago. I miss it sometimes, but not very often.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
You know, baritone bodies do not have to be large. Mine is not one of my largest guitars, kind of on the slight size for an OM - but your left arm does reach out further because of the scale. The scale of course is what makes it a baritone. If I capo at the second fret, then it is exactly like my regular guitars - but still lower.
Agreed. One of the better baritones I've ever owned as a Webber based on his "jumbo" (16") body that was 4" then and a relatively short 27" scale. Not the most powerful baritone, but had great clarity and balance.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:56 PM

I own a Tacoma BM6C baritone. It's the second one I've owned, after regretting selling the first one. I only have two acoustics that I play. I went through a period of time when I was playing a lot with some people and I tuned it down to "A" and was basically a bass player who could add chords or leads. It was a lot of fun. Since the pandemic, I tuned it back up to "B" for awhile -- it's much more logical and easier to transpose on the fly in that tuning, and it is way better as a singing key for me.

I just tuned it down to A again in anticipation of my office's ("virtual," ugh) holiday party. I have been working on playing more like a bass player again.

I would guess I play the baritone about a quarter of the time. I really enjoy my standard acoustic, and it lives on the ground floor with me and not in the basement with my stuff. I have thought about selling the baritone because it has become a valuable commodity. One just listed on Reverb for more than $2800 and was gone in about a week. But I fear I will miss it and may never find another one for a reasonable price.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgreensman View Post
Hello All,

Its been a while since I have been here. I have a question for all those out there about Baritone Acoustic. How many own one and if so how much do you play it vs your standard acoustic?
I picked an interest in Baritones after playing Wade Hampton Miller's McAlister Baritone, when I still lived in Alaska. So I sought out a lot of them, whenever I could, and have played Baritones by probably 20 different builders. Generally I found the cheaper offerings pretty muddy and ill-defined, so was stuck with the thought of having to spend a bit to get something decent (Although I've been fair impressed by the Alverez's, although they still don't hold up to a boutique builder) After playing 5-6 different Webbers, with 27," 28," and 29" scales, I was about ready to order one when Wade decided to quit hogging not one but TWO world class Baritones, and send his Beneteau down for me to try for a couple of months on the agreement that I try and move it if I decided not to keep it. (I had two possible buyers already lined up who saw it at my luthier's when he had it to inspect the wear and tear that it had suffered as Don Ross's road Baritone, before he got his fan fret.)

It rarely sees the inside of it's case, as I usually keep it out on a stand. It probably gets around 15-20% of my playing time, along with my Weissenborn, which I also keep out. The other 60+ percent going to my standard 6 strings.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I have a beautiful baritone guitar, sounds nice and plays well. I play it almost never, sadly. It’s a Goldilocks thing, the middle size seems just right.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
I have a beautiful baritone guitar, sounds nice and plays well. I play it almost never, sadly. It’s a Goldilocks thing, the middle size seems just right.

What is it and would you sell it? [emoji2960]
Old 12-03-2021, 05:15 PM

I have a 28.6" scale Kronbauer jumbo. Probably going to sell it for something smaller in body size AND scale length. Sounds good, but a bit big for my 5'5" frame.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion