The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-17-2021, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Carbon fiber guitars

Anyone here have experience with the lava me 2 or any other carbon fiber guitar. I’m thinking it might be nice to have for winter play without worrying about humidity
Old 06-17-2021, 12:53 PM

There’s a whole carbon fibre section here on AGF, you’ll see lots there
Old 06-17-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Yes you'll get lots of opinions on models in the carbon fiber section.

I will say that having one in my quiver has worked out. Besides being my travel and boat guitar, my little RS is just fun to play. Sits by my computer all the time.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 06-17-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Thread moved.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:52 PM

I've got two: a 2010 Emerald X7 and a Rainsong Shorty SG. Love them both, and am considering getting a McPherson Sable or Touring just because...
Old 06-17-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Like many here, I've had a lot of CF guitars. Currently enjoying a Sable. All the CF guitars I have had have been very nice, trouble and worry free. You may want to give a price range and you'll get some excellent suggestions to check out. In my opinion everyone should have a CF guitar.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:52 PM

Just Bare in mind that the neck is HPL wood, although they claim it will not change with weather and humidity fluctuation.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 06-18-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I purchased a Rain Song WS 1000 " black ice" about 5 years ago. Very impressed and now is my " go to guitar" when I perform out of the house. The hand inlayed carbon fibre sheets remind me of a Picasso.. I have now regrets.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Just Bare in mind that the neck is HPL wood, although they claim it will not change with weather and humidity fluctuation.
Emerald's fretboards are made from uni-directional carbon fiber, necks are same carbon fiber of the rest of the guitar.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

You have come to the right place (now that the mods moved the thread)!

Most of us here have and/or do own at least one and oftentimes many, many carbon fiber guitars. They are great. There is something for everyone. I've owned Journey, RainSong and Emerald carbon fiber guitars. Several of each brand, in fact. I've loved them all. It's just a matter of deciding what size, style, color and features appeal to you. And of course how much you're willing to spend to get those features.

Journey is the king of travel size guitars although most all the others offer small body models that would travel well. But the Journey folds up into a small backpack case that will fit in any commercial jet overhead. In fact, that's the model name - the Journey Overhead!

RainSong is the king of 'standard' guitar shaped carbon fiber guitars and is now offering some exciting new models with a fused spruce wood top to give the look and warmth of wood with the environmental benefits of carbon fiber. They will do minor customizations through a dealer.

Emerald is the king of 'non-standard' guitar shaped guitars. They also will do the most customizations and they were the first to do the wood veneer tops but theirs are with incredibly gorgeous, exotic and highly figured grains that look unbelievable! They also do several colors.

McPherson does a really nice non-centered soundhole guitar in two sizes and then there are the other, smaller CF makers like KLOS and a few others just making their way into to fray.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I've owned and played Emerald and Rainsong guitars and have settled on Rainsongs as best suited for my wants and needs. Emeralds are really comfortable and probably have more possible options than any other guitar out there, wooden or carbon fiber. However, of late I've decided that I prefer the tone and more standard design of Rainsongs. I've owned a whole lot of wooden guitars over the years, but the difficulty of maintaining temperature and humidity in my cabin in the woods has propelled me to own strictly carbon fiber guitars. Do I miss the wooden ones? No, not really....
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber