The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 12-13-2020, 07:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default McKnight’s Fretboard Revival, Lustrous Conditioning Balm

We are offering a new product to treat your bare wood fretboard and bridge on your stringed instrument. I developed this product myself and it will condition and protect your fretboard and bridge. It's safe on all finished surfaces including lacquer, urethane, polyester, French polish (shellac) and oil varnish. It’s not meant to be applied to a finished surface but it won’t harm those surfaces if you do get the product on them.

I make this product myself, here in our shop and I’ve been using it on our guitar fretboards and bridges for quite some time. I’ve used it on Ebony, Rosewood(s), Wenge, Maple, Walnut, Zircote and Mesquite. When applied properly it will naturally darken all woods, maintain that color, seal open pores and protect the woods surface from water and human perspiration.

The commercial products, that I’ve purchased, have only held temporary results and allowed the wood to dry out and the color to lighten up as it continued to age and dry out. All of these fretboard treatments have oxidized the frets and allowed human grunge to continue to build up on the surface and subsequently ground into open wood pores.

Many people tend to use products that are lemon oil based which is not a true wood treatment but rather strong petroleum distillates (naphtha) that actually pull natural oils out of the wood and escalate the woods drying. The lemon scent comes mostly from lemon grass extracts and not actual citrus lemons as many are led to believe. After a few days of use the wood often looks quite dry again as the product quickly evaporates.

Our product is made of food grade ingredients and safe on all woods, leather and even cutting boards and butcher blocks used in the kitchen. I’m not buying and repackaging this product but I am sourcing made in the USA food grade ingredients and cooking this product in a crock pot her in my shop in the greater metropolis of Morral, Ohio.

357FDB5D-A570-4042-BD5A-60855FAFE4AB.jpg

98E01EB6-A23D-4F12-A551-53F5C04BD204.jpg

You will receive a kit including instructions, 0000 steel wool to clean the fretboard, an applicator pad and 2 ounces of the product.

We are offering this product in resealable tins for $15 + $5 shipping in the continental USA and accepting payment via PayPal. We are not planning to get rich here but merely hope to share a better product than what I’ve found available on the current commercial market.

PLEASE make sure to email or PM me with your mailing address.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 04-24-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:29 PM

Sign me up! Let me put my feeble mind to work and see about a name as well. Maybe a T-shirt or hat in my size if I think of something you like lol!

"McKnight Mcbutter" a conditioner for your fretboard.

"McKnight Miracle Cream", a fretboard and bridge conditioner; treat your guitar woods to a day at the spa!

"McKnight fretboard and bridge balm" Your guitar will never be happier!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 12-13-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Musical minimalist

Board Butter? (after thinking about it for a week, something finally came to me Tim! )

I've used this on all of my steel strings so far guys and gals and really like it.

It gives a consistent sheen and nice silky feel without any leeching back off onto your hands or strings after a good rubbing out.

The 2 ounce tin would last for many applications too!.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Todd had graciously accepted the job as my official test guru and has been putting our product through the paces for a while now. I wasn’t going to market it until I had some serious feedback and I am VERY grateful for his help! Thanks again Todd.

Great name BTW but it may be too close to an existing product name of “Fret Butter”. Our products natural color is a dead ringer for butter but I can assure you that it is not butter and may not be your best choice for your bagel in the morning.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...et-butter.html
Old 12-13-2020, 07:51 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Todd had graciously accepted the job as my official test guru and has been putting our product through the paces for a while now. I wasn’t going to market it until I had some serious feedback and I am VERY grateful for his help! Thanks again Todd.

Great name BTW but it may be too close to an existing product name of “Fret Butter”. Our products natural color is a dead ringer for butter but I can assure you that it is not butter and may not be your best choice for your bagel in the morning.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...et-butter.html
Ok - Board Brew.....

Old 12-13-2020, 07:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hmmmm, board brew?

You mentioned a word in your description after treatment and that word was “silky” and that is the same word that comes to mind after I use the product. It leaves the board with such a wonderful silky feeling that one has to experience to really understand the tactile response and silky feel that it leaves you with.

FYI, Todd sent me the following pictures.

Before treatment:
433B83A0-728B-4783-8E08-9DF2A452DAE6.jpg

After cleaning with 0000 steel wool.
8EB06D04-5F03-4E21-86AE-D59DBB1E7EC8.jpg

After treatment with our product.
E03F0B82-216C-48B4-B5BB-074069F789F5.jpg

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 12-13-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

What a nice transition. Seems like a great product!

What about...

Board ‘n Butter

Whoops! I hadn’t noticed Todd’s suggestion of “Board Butter”. Sorry Todd! That said, “Board ‘n Butter” is a play on “Bread ‘n Butter” which may not be a problem with “Fret Butter”.

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-13-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:39 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
What a nice transition.
I was embarrassed by the pic of the fingerboard on my Charis - only thing I'd done to the it since before the flood was rub it out with a dry terry cloth between string changes.

Nice to have it back to normal again - always been very picky about my board!

Old 12-13-2020, 10:28 PM

McKNIGHT'S SHINING ARMOR
Old 12-13-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Tim,
I m intrigued by your new product. For the past 30 years or so I have used bore oil on my guitar fretboards and bridges and have never experienced the issues you associated with lemon and related products. How does your product differ from bore oil?
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 12-14-2020, 05:53 AM

McKnight’s Fret Magic

You’re welcome
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-14-2020, 06:41 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
McKNIGHT'S SHINING ARMOR
There's someone using their noggin! Pretty good!

Old 12-14-2020, 07:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
McKNIGHT'S SHINING ARMOR
Now that one has some possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
Tim,
I m intrigued by your new product. For the past 30 years or so I have used bore oil on my guitar fretboards and bridges and have never experienced the issues you associated with lemon and related products. How does your product differ from bore oil?
Hi Feste,
I am sorry but first I have to claim ignorance because I'd not heard of Bore Oil before so I had to Google it. I assume you are referring to a product for clarinets and other wood winds?

I can't speak directly to Bore Oil's use or application but the issue that I've encountered with other "oil" based products is that the oil seemed to continually leach out of the wood. Initially it would soak in and then you'd wipe it off and the oils would seem to keep popping up through the grain or it would retain an oily surface texture.

Our product does contain natural oils and a small amount of filtered beeswax and a trace amount of other organic ingredients. During application the heat from your hands and the friction of application softens the waxes and allows the oils to be absorbed into the wood. After the product is allowed to penetrate and cool a few hours, the oil is trapped in the wood beneath the beeswax and the oils don't migrate out of the wood. After the product is absorbed into the wood sufficiently you merely wipe off and buff the minimal amount of wax left on the surface with a soften cotton cloth. Not only do the waxes trap the oils in but they shield other contaminants out. You are left with a surface which is silky smooth and has a satin glow, ready to string up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
McKnight’s Fret Magic
You’re welcome
Good suggestion Carol, thanks.

Quote:
McKNIGHT'S SHINING ARMOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
What a nice transition. Seems like a great product!

What about...

Board ‘n Butter

Whoops! I hadn’t noticed Todd’s suggestion of “Board Butter”. Sorry Todd! That said, “Board ‘n Butter” is a play on “Bread ‘n Butter” which may not be a problem with “Fret Butter”.
Thanks for participating and chiming in Tom.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 12-14-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:15 AM

Looks like a nice product; just grabbed me one!

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 12-14-2020, 10:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks folks. First batch will mail out today and y'all should have them by end of week, if the USPS is on time???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace