The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Which replacement tuners for a Martin D35s

Hi, my early 70's D35s (the 12 fret slope shoulder dread) has the original boxy machine heads / tuners . They are now a bit grauchy and not quite reliable so Im thinking of a change.
Does anyone know of replacements that will fit exactly (inc screw hole positioning)? Im in the UK so a dealer over here would be good, otherwise would source from US.
Thanks. Mike
Ps dont really want to go to the price of Waverlys....
Pps i have a pic but dont know how to add it in...i tried th e little picture icon but it asked me for a URL for the photo....?!?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Ps.. it is a slothead.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I owned a D35S (1976, if I remember correctly), and it had replacement tuners when I purchased it. Today, I would go with Waverly or Gotoh. Good guitar, BTW.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shipman View Post
Hi, my early 70's D35s (the 12 fret slope shoulder dread) has the original boxy machine heads / tuners . They are now a bit grauchy and not quite reliable so Im thinking of a change.
Does anyone know of replacements that will fit exactly (inc screw hole positioning)? Im in the UK so a dealer over here would be good, otherwise would source from US.
Thanks. Mike
Ps dont really want to go to the price of Waverlys....
Pps i have a pic but dont know how to add it in...i tried th e little picture icon but it asked me for a URL for the photo....?!?
Hi Mike, Ol'Andy here. I think I know that guitar - a 1974 model I believe, and I'm sorry that the tuners are graunchy.

Frankly I doubt that you'll get tuners to match the barrel and screw holes exactly.

I suspect that there will need to be some filling and redrilling but such things can be done.

I would also suggest Waverly tuners model 4063 or, maybe the aged ones 4077

Waverley are owned by Stewmac and I still prefer threm over Gotohs.

JP Guitars might source them for you but they's still be importing them from the US.

You could try Grovers which are about £100 cheaper ... but ....

Considering your location, might I suggest that you make contact with Vince Hockey in Southampton ?

I'll PM you with his phone number (at least what it was eleven years ago!)

However .... I have a box of old Waverlys in my workshop, and I might, br able to make up a set ... they are old and show wear, but I'll look over the weekend because it's too cold out there at present!

Take care oh, and look for a pm. .
Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM

Andy is correct about the barrels on Waverleys not matching the holes (outside holes to be specific), HOWEVER, Stewmac sells slip-in grommets that create a perfect fit.

Jon Z.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks Transylvania, I will double check Waverley prices d lookout the Gotohs.

Hi Andy, good tohear from you, the guitar still sounds great but arthritic shoulders / elbows are proving a challenge to playing it these days.
I will checkout the Waverley price but i thinktheyll be a bit rich for me, didn’t know Stewmac had bought them, Hmmm not sure that’ll be great in the long run.
Grover Sta Tites seem to be getting a good review around here, will check them too.
Ref Vince Hockey, Ive known Vince for 30+ years, I got my first Martin from him (0018) and a Mastertine banjo with a colourful history. Not been in touch with him in recent times asIm not in Southampton much these days.
I’ll lookout for your pm.
Cheers Mike.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:26 PM

I must ask, doesn’t that D-35s require three-on-a-strip tuners? Would affect the search.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up jzach46.

Hi Misifus, thanks for the query, they are however singles, not 3 on a strip.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion