The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-17-2021, 10:28 AM

Default Strings for Nylon Players Who Use Picks

I know many classical and flamenco players cringe when picks are mentioned.

However, I'm sure there are some players, like me, who use a hybrid pick/fingers technique to play jazz and country music (like Jerry Reed played) with amplified nylon string guitars.

What tensions and brands of strings do you players use?

In my experience, I prefer the brighter, snappier sound of normal tension. The hard tension strings respond better and buzz less for hard picked single note lines but seem to have a darker tone.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

The Knobloch Actives high tension strings are my preference on my DuPont nylon string Maccaferri replica. I use bare fingers, a thumb pick, or a flat pick depending on the song. I like the snappy sound as a mostly steel string player, and they hold up well.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/classi...h-tension-917/
Old 11-18-2021, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

These strings are made for nylon guitars but all of them are wound- said to sound more like steel strings. I have not used them yet but have a set ready to go on my next string change. I’m sure others who have used them will chime in.

https://www.thomastik-infeld.com/en/...hn-pearse-folk
Old 12-02-2021, 02:00 PM

Hey Dropt...

Sure hope to have a golpeadores on the soundboard to protect it. Check out Willie Nelson's old Martin 00-28C, he didn't install one and his soundboard looks like rats got to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical