The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Default SBT added to Takamine TC135SC w/CTP3 Cool Tube

I think I've seen another application like this and figured I'd share this one. I've enjoyed my TC135SC for a couple of years and was quite able to get some useable quality out the plugged in sound. With the CTP3 preamp having a AUX input, I knew the tone had some opportunity for enhancement. I was baulking on the $135 price on the Takamine and about ready to pull the trigger when further research revealed I could add a passive SBT as easily as the Takamine SBT, I decided to try a Schatten Utility EP01 SBT https://schatten-pickups.myshopify.c...products/ep-01

It required soldering a male RCA connector which I robbed off some old RCA audio cables. There's some videos online I used to guide me on removing the preamp mount.

I first placed it behind the bridge plate about in line with the A-D String. The tone was biased on the D-A-E. I also felt the top vibration was too much for the SBT and added a "WOOFyness" character to the tone. So, after a week of trying to EQ it in, I repositioned to the bridgeplate in the same under the A-D strings. This transformed the tone and produced a more acoustic quality to the plugged in tone.

The Takamine CTP3 and piezo is pretty good on it's own. I think the addition of a SBT enhances the tone as it blends in a different acoustic quality and adds more dimension. I'm very pleased with the tone and really not interested in changing it for the foreseeable future.

Anyway for about $25 it was very rewarding.

Last edited by Turp; 11-06-2021 at 12:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical