The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 PM

These were really solid pieces of advice. I've broken #10 myself, but never in public! I usually have a glass of red wine after work and jam out in my studio. And sometimes I tend to think "The more I drink the better I sound!" lol.

That lasted until the next day when I turned on my comp and loaded my recording....hahahha, man did I forget those lyrics!
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM

I don't necessarily think that drinking if you're playing is a big deal...as long as you're not drinking too much. I've seen people who get absolutely wasted and then try to play.

I do tend to have a drink to sip on when I'm playing, but when I'm playing, I drink a lot slower. I don't take shots people offer me (shots and I don't mix well either way) and I try to drink water between sets instead of pounding drinks like some people do. Generally, a beer will last me 2 sets...mixed drinks probably 1 set. So I usually go for beer (unless the place doesn't want the patrons to see me drinking beer...then I'll either drink water, soda or a mixed drink depending on management).

I find that it relaxes me and puts me in a performing mood. But yeah, if I don't nurse the drinks, it affects my performance negatively and noticably. So if you're going to drink, be responsible about it.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Johnny View Post
Top Ten Facts of Life for Playing in Clubs and Restaurants
Good stuff ... sometimes we forget and think we're playing a concert.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Default The "not to do things on stage"

Well, well, well. This list could be extended almost out the door. One thing is missing though, don't forget "tune before playing!" That may sound obvious, but tune first, sing later. Tiny "micro" tuning may be necessary... but let's get that thing very very close to being in tune before your name may be called. One other thing that comes to mind too, leave the bad jokes or crass humor to the professionals. Nothing worse than a musician attempting "stand-up" comedy.... there are only a handful that can pull it off, and you're NOT Steve Martin or Louden Wainwright. Don't forget the lyrics, and do remember to "BE YOURSELF." Oh yeah, and just have fun after all. Isn't that what playing music is all about? Cheers, 1folksinger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell