The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Top 10 things of what NOT to do at an open mic night

I ran across this list and found it interesting.

Top 10 things of what NOT to do at an open mic night

1. Play a song that you finished that day! Or variations thereof, such as "the song I made up on the bus on the way here"(regrettably, I have heard that song). One feels something sinking inside on hearing these words, as very few - and I mean very few - can actually get away with it. Roddy Renfrew can though. But most people aren't him.

2. Sing a song whilst reading the lyrics off a scrappy piece of paper(sometimes related to point 1 above). Often balanced on a stool in front of you. This gives the impression that you're either unrehearsed, don't want to look at the audience, or the lyrics are unremarkable. Sometimes all three. If you can't remember the lyrics, then why should the audience? Maybe a bit more practice is an idea.

3. Play a song that you haven't played in years. Resist this temptation, even if the moment seems right. You probably used to play it OK. Once. But chances are you need to practice it a bit first. I mean, even John Lennon joked nervously about trying to remember the words to his old songs.

4. Apologise for you/your performance/your songs. This behaviour has been noted by others before (e.g. The Norm) , but it can take many forms. Basically, the audience aren't interested in excuses. They have ears and brains, and can make up their own minds about the song. Sometimes, especially when nervous, it's very hard not to do this. It also applies after a song, as well as before. Often, a performer will do a rousing performance, and will then apologise during the ensuing applause for messing up a certain bit. Chances are, nobody noticed! So, remember the golden rule: smile and brazen it out.

5. Draw attention to song similarities. By this, I mean that if your song bears more than a passing resemblance to say, a certain Led Zep song, then is it really wise to mention that song, and joke about Led Zep's lawyers giving you a call should they hear it? Usually, the audience will then think that you are a rip-off merchant, hawking cheap imitation song-wares. Even if you think it's obvious, some will see the song differently to you. So, button it.

6. Play a song with your eyes closed the whole time. A bit more contentious perhaps, but for my money, if someone does that, I sometimes wonder if I need to be in the same room as them. I mean, they seem to be doing a grand job of entertaining themselves, but do they care about the audience? Hmm. I like it more when the performer looks round at least occasionally.

7. Be unprepared when your name is read out to play. Not only is this a bore for the compere, who has to suddenly think of "amusing" things to say (aargh!), it immediately bores the audience, who have to wait. Chances are, it'll make you more flustered too. So, get that guitar OUT of the case(it will stay in tune better that way than suddenly being subjected to temperature/humidity differences), tune up, have a plectrum ready if you need to, and know if there's a capo you can use. For me, anyone who goes to the stage and airily asks "has anyone got a pick?" has already gone down a notch in my estimation.

8. Turn up, play, then leave immediately. Not exactly a war crime, I know, but it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth when people do that. Will your fellow musicians remember? You bet. If you can't make the whole evening, possibly due to buses/transport, then that's fair enough, as long as you engage with the evening as much as you can. And one day, you may need those musicians . . .

9. Play hideously long faux prog-rock things. By this, I mean that usually at these affairs, you get an acoustic guitar, and if you're lucky, a capo. When some people play, one can tell that they're hearing all sorts of fantastic arrangements and instruments in their head, raising it into shining glory. For us though, we can hear someone hammering away at an Em for eight bars on out-of-tune battered acoustic. If you do have other band members or effects, then by all means go for it. If not, perhaps leave the seven minute songs until you do? (or even better, edit that seven minute song into three minutes).

10. Drink too much. A tricky one this, but if you've had too much, then it won't be good. I can't remember who said (but it was a famous jazz musician), that
"anyone who says they play better when they're on something, is plain and simple, a liar".
Easier said than done when you're last to play, but you can drink anywhere. Chances to play are rarer. And even Keith Richards prefers music to drink 'n' drugs. You don't want to be apologising for your song(see point 4). Usually, there's plenty of time afterwards to imbibe to excess, if that is your desire.

Your thoughts or comments?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Thank you. I appreciate this list and it's positive corollary.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 AM

sounds like a bunch of really good advice to me!

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM

Top advice. All should read it and not make the mistake of finding out the hard way. Too many performers close their eyes and disappear into their sound hole. We don't know what's going on in there!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Great list....I agree with everything except the eyes closed comment...one of the best concerts I ever saw was one of Kelly Joe Phelps and he had his eyes closed 95% of the night...I kind of dig the eyes closed thing....maybe it's just me
Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM

I'm guilty of breaking rule #8.
Taylor GA3
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
For those of you that have done or do open mics... any other tips as well?

Another question I have... are you "required" to sing at an open mic or are fingerstyle guitar pieces played there on a fairly regular basis.. I ask because the only open mic's I have seen included decent, but not great, guitar playing but good singing. Me... I can't sing to save myself, but would love to try an open mic playing some fingerstyle arraingments sometime when I get the nerve.
At most of the open stages that I go to, the audience is mostly other performers. This makes for an attentive crowd who support their fellow players/singers. I make a point of talking to other performers (out in the hall, so as not to disturb the audience). I talk about technique, songwriting, etc. I always say something good about their playing/singing. This is especially important with newcomers.

All the open stages that I know of welcome instrumentalists as well as singers.

cheers
R
Old 02-18-2009, 03:21 PM

#4 would probably be the first one I would break.

I can see myself breaking many of the other as well. Thanks for posting. I will print it out and read it if/when I finaly venture out and take part in an open mic.

2007 Taylor 410 Fall Limited
1994 Seagull S(6) Sunburst
2005 Fender Strat Sunburst
Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM

I broke #3 (my wife's fault!), which caused me to break #4 at the only open mic I did.

After I practiced the three songs I was planning to play for a couple of days (standing up in front of a mic no less which is not the way I generally practice), my wife talks our daugher into doing a duet with me at the last minute. The song was Whiskey Lulalbye, which I had only played goofing around on the couch and never practiced the intro, etc. Plus we had not practiced the harmony other than just casually playing around.

Never listen to your wife's whims when it comes to song selection! Stick to what you know and have prepared to do!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 PM

This is a good list. But I should point out that #9 makes it seem like a guitar will be provided. Definitely don't assume that

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
I broke #3 (my wife's fault!), which caused me to break #4 at the only open mic I did.

After I practiced the three songs I was planning to play for a couple of days (standing up in front of a mic no less which is not the way I generally practice), my wife talks our daugher into doing a duet with me at the last minute. The song was Whiskey Lulalbye, which I had only played goofing around on the couch and never practiced the intro, etc. Plus we had not practiced the harmony other than just casually playing around.

Never listen to your wife's whims when it comes to song selection! Stick to what you know and have prepared to do!

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. It's an open mic after all, not a paid performance. It's also a good time to practice new songs and get an idea if they will even work for you. That's how I see it. I myself think it's kind of cool when someone attempts to do a song they are just learning. It takes guts to do something off the cuff. If they completely botch it up it will make them work that much harder the next time. Definitely some good pointers in that list though, whether I agree with all of them or not.....

Ryan
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 AM

Honestly, being that I'm a full-time musician now and I'm working on developing originals, open mics are the best place to test audience reaction to a new song. So I have to agree that playing something you haven't played in a while or something you just finished isn't out of place at an open mic.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Interesting.

I help host an open mic/jam night. And as far as I'm concerned, those are pretty stringent rules. Our's is more like a "karaoke" bar, not the tryouts for the next American Idol!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Musical minimalist

don't tell Van Morrison about #6....it may ruin his career

yeah, these are rules I'd abide by if I were playing in a fancier room, for a dinner or something, but open mics are pretty spontaneous and meant to be breeding grounds for "new" performers. I think the guidelines are good (and I know it's somewhat in jest) but the lines will certainly be "bent" a bit in the real world.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
This is a good list. But I should point out that #9 makes it seem like a guitar will be provided. Definitely don't assume that
I co-host an Open Mic, and a lot of folks do expect a guitar to be provided, so I purchased a "cheapie" from Wally World (and a Casio keyboard for keys players)...and some folks STILL snivel that I don't make my Guilds or Taylors available to them!

I (as politely as I feel that evening) point out that if the "First Act" isn't up to their standards, perhaps they might want to bring their own...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
Excellent list.... but I am sure there are others to add.

For those of you that have done or do open mics... any other tips as well?

Another question I have... are you "required" to sing at an open mic or are fingerstyle guitar pieces played there on a fairly regular basis.. I ask because the only open mic's I have seen included decent, but not great, guitar playing but good singing. Me... I can't sing to save myself, but would love to try an open mic playing some fingerstyle arraingments sometime when I get the nerve.
I have a couple of actss who attend our Open Mic that are strictly instrumentalists...one plays pretty decent flamenco-type stuff, and the other act is a guitar/mandolin duo that play a variety of World Musics.

Both go over very well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell