The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-04-2017, 03:18 PM

I am looking at the various PRRI amps also. Hard to choose. I have not even decided between 12" and 10" speakers yet.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I am looking at the various PRRI amps also. Hard to choose. I have not even decided between 12" and 10" speakers yet.
i'd recommend getting the 10" and, IF you have an amp or cab with a 12" , you can tap into that when you need it. at home, that could be easy; on a gig, more difficult.

check with the tele forum as there are a lot of people commenting on their prri choices.

http://www.tdpri.com/forums/

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
...All the 'faux" tweed appointments and fancy colored Tolex (the covering) just adds to the price, if you are concerned with that aspect of the purchase...
Actually, it's exactly the same price as the standard '65 reissue:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR

While I'm not a fan of the anachronistic tweed covering, I'm a major fan of the Eminence Patriot Series speakers - I've got them in my Bugera V22 and V5 (Swamp Thang and 820H respectively), I'll be upgrading my Frontman 212R to a pair of Cannabis Rex in the not-too-distant future - and if I didn't already have three amps in the same general power range ('64 Ampeg top-panel/no 'verb Rocket, Tech 21 Trademark 10, and the aforementioned V22) I'd be giving this one a serious look myself. BTW, if you like a little breakup - FYI the Rex is a very clean-sounding speaker by design - keep a Chinese 12AX7 and/or Euro-style ECC83 on hand to swap into V1, and re-install the stock tube (or a 5751) when you're going to be doing a night of country/jazz/'50s-60s R&R and R&B...
Old 11-05-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i'd recommend getting the 10" and, IF you have an amp or cab with a 12" , you can tap into that when you need it. at home, that could be easy; on a gig, more difficult.

check with the tele forum as there are a lot of people commenting on their prri choices.

http://www.tdpri.com/forums/

play music!
This would be strictly basement or friend's house playing. It will be my only good amp. (I have a cheap Squier "Champ" I got when I got the Tele in the mid 90s).
Old 11-06-2017, 11:52 PM

I'm still not sure what Princeton I'm going to get. But...I am leaning towards the 68 Princeton reverb over the 65. Just something about the sound intrigues me. If I don't like it I can send it back. I was also wondering about the 10" vs 12". Elderly Instruments has a 68 FSR Princeton called the "black and blue"model with a 12" celestion blue. It cost three hundred more than the regular 68. It would be ideal to get to a large shop and listen to things live as I do trust my ears. Barring that I listen to videos, read reviews and try to make a good decision.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:02 PM

Just to finish this thread. First of all I thank all who responded. I appreciate hearing from you. So..I did get a Fender Princeton, but it ended up to be a 1973 Fender Princeton Reverb--pretty much like the one got to use from my friend for 3 years. However, although the original speaker came with this 1973...the speaker that is now installed is I believe a Warehouse Veteran30 speaker. And I must say that I think it sounds as good if not better than the 1971 Princeton Reverb that I got to "borrow" for the about three years. I ended up finding this at a local music store in our area. I did order a Princeton 68 custom reverb from Sweetwater. But I sent it back as it has some kind of buzz to it that I couldn't figure out (nor could others that helped me); and also I was quite ambivalent about the tone. So...back it went to Sweetwater. This 1973 is just wonderful. I consider myself most fortunate to be able to have use of a nice amp like this. The lap steel sounds so good through this Princeton. There you have my story.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Just to finish this thread. First of all I thank all who responded. I appreciate hearing from you. So..I did get a Fender Princeton, but it ended up to be a 1973 Fender Princeton Reverb--pretty much like the one got to use from my friend for 3 years. However, although the original speaker came with this 1973...the speaker that is now installed is I believe a Warehouse Veteran30 speaker. And I must say that I think it sounds as good if not better than the 1971 Princeton Reverb that I got to "borrow" for the about three years. I ended up finding this at a local music store in our area. I did order a Princeton 68 custom reverb from Sweetwater. But I sent it back as it has some kind of buzz to it that I couldn't figure out (nor could others that helped me); and also I was quite ambivalent about the tone. So...back it went to Sweetwater. This 1973 is just wonderful. I consider myself most fortunate to be able to have use of a nice amp like this. The lap steel sounds so good through this Princeton. There you have my story.
Great timing!
And FWIW, the Veteran 30 is a 12" speaker, not a 10" speaker.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I have had modded Blues Jr's and yes the Cannabis Rex is great for scooped mids and big bass and fat trebles. I tried 4 or 5 high end 10" speakers and that one is wonderful. Although I didn't ever find a vintage Jensen which have the highest praise. I tried a reconed one and it was not lush. I like ceramic speakers in PR's and BJr.'s.

I have a 76 (last year of the non-push pull volume knob. It is basically a blackface circuit but a bit Fender'ier...brighter. PR's are a little dark sounding thick warm fender flavor. I slightly favor the 70's (Starting in 68) silver face models over the lusher, darker 65 vintage.

I use a newly designed 10" Allesandro speaker. Highly recommend this for PR's. PR's have more tone than Blues Jr's.... but I love both of them.

My other Fender flavored amp is a Tone King Meteor 20 II, 2006, amazing verb and trem. It has a large cab and I think a larger cab is better for tone. My friend bought my green board, USA made Blues Jr and put it in a bigger pine cab with good results. If you can find a 10 year old Tone King with a large cab I would spring for that if you can afford it.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:33 PM

And since I posted a couple times in this thread, I will update too. I got the wine colored 65 PRRI with the 12" Jensen, but I sent it back in favor of the regular model with the 10". The 12" sounded great, but it was not the same sound as the 10". Not as chimey or shimmery or what have you. A little more midrange and base.

Have not got the new one in yet.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

This thread has been interesting. I am presently looking for a PRRI myself and deciding between all the ones listed. It's a hard choice and they are not cheap.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

...i've been playing Princetons for years and they're definitely one of my faves...the difference between a 12inch speaker and a 10 inch in speaker in a Princeton is significant....the obvious fact is that you can hit them with more power and they'll hold up better...i like a Celestion 12 inch gold in a Princeton...it retains most of a Princetons tone but is significantly more robust and is able to handle boost and dirt pedals at higher volume levels...makes it more "giggable" for me....

...there is an added bonus to the 12 inch speaker...it makes the amp sound much fuller at really low volume....which is what i do most of my playing at...as far as the different model currently available it comes down to the 65 and 68 for me...i did an extended comparison between the two and found a couple of significant diffrences....the 65 is cleaner and more clear sounding...more hi-fi to my ears....the 68 is warmer and grittier and definitely noisier...and less attractive for my tastes...i prefer the blackface cosmetics....in summary...if i'm wanting a better sounding breakup i like the 68...for cleaner tone i'll take the 65...but i'll take a 12 inch speaker in either...
Old 12-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Good move, the reissue Princetons do not sound like the originals to me. I spent hours with both models of the new ones trying to coax the vintage tone that I like out of them and it just wasn't there. My best friend has two real 1965 Princetons that are in mint condition as he is one of the finest amp techs out there, so they both have new filter caps and NOS grade tubes. So when I went looking to buy a reissue Princeton I brought one of his with me and played them back to back. No contest the original sounded better in all cases! He has one of his set up with a 12" Celestion Blue (he made a new baffle) that sounds great, and the other with a stock 10" Jensen which also sounds great. For lapsteel I preferred the ten, for a Les Paul and a Tele I liked the twelve. A 1973 although great sounding, can easily be brought to Blackface specs if desired. I never did get a Princeton though as when I was looking into the Princetons I chanced into a first run 1964 Deluxe Reverb. I do have a Silverface 1969 Vibrochamp though and I play lapsteel through it all the time (1956 Oahu)....

Old 12-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I ordered one of these today. They are backordered and expected at the end of January. i hope I'm making the right decision. It will just be for in-home use.

Last edited by Bluside; 12-28-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I ordered one of these today. They are backordered and expected at the end of January. i hope I'm making the right decision. It will just be for in-home use.

I just ordered one of these as well — the Guitar Center version with the Bordeaux finish. Can’t wait to pick it up!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
I just ordered one of these as well — the Guitar Center version with the Bordeaux finish. Can’t wait to pick it up!
The speakers are both 12" but made by different companies and, from everything I read, sound different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars