The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-23-2017, 07:17 AM

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said but my experience has taught me that higher quality parts (with better tolerances) combined with craftsmanship and quality assurance testing adds to a better product. You also need to factor in wages depending upon where the guitar is made.

In addition, like acoustics, sometimes you also pay a premium on the name that's on the headstock.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:43 AM

OP here.

Wow. Some very interesting responses on this thread. thanks.

So let's take it one step further.

I want an electric. I plan on playing it through my acoustic amp (Fishman Loudbox Artist). I don't really know what tone I want, I'm just starting the journey. The number one thing I think I want is play-ability, this coming from an acoustic player. Nut can't be super narrow. Light is important to me. Body shape should be somewhat traditional, no flying V. Simple is good. I don't want too many knobs and buttons choices to confuse. Most of music will be mostly classic rock, country rock, pop, but I play a little of everything. Budget is about $1000.

I realize I will need some type of pedal or simple modeler to get the electric tone through my acoustic amp, so suggestions on a simple solution here are appreciated as well.

Bottom line, keep it simple, but good enough for a person who does appreciate quality.

Bling is not important. I don't care about looks, color, fancy woods, etc. Just simple quality play-ability and tone.

Initial thoughts were some type of telecaster, or maybe an SG, or maybe a Reverend. I live close to Wildwood Guitars in Louisville CO. So I can go play a number of these once I get the list narrowed down. I'm guessing that I won't be able to tell much about tone, but I could get some ideas about feel.

Thanks,
Old 12-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Try out a Fender American Tele and a Les Paul Studio. The idea between the two is very similar: two pickups, hard tailpiece, selector switch. The differences? The Tele is built in 25.5" scale and the Les Paul in 24.75" scale. The Fender has one master tone and volume control. The Gibson has one tone and volume for each pickup. The Fender has either an alder or ash body, the Gibson has a mahogany body with a maple cap. The result is a brighter, twangier Fender and a darker, smoother Gibson.

The point is going to be which one you are comfortable with. At your price point you will probably be looking at a used example of either, but that is okay.

Oh, and ignore the Telecaster mafia when they come out and declare that the Tele is far superior. They do it every time.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:16 AM

In addition to the Les Paul Bob recommended above (^), a Gibson SG is considerably lighter than a Les Paul so you may find that more comfortable. Nut width may be an issue for you - the majority of electrics are 1 11/16"
Old 12-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Try out a Fender American Tele and a Les Paul Studio. The idea between the two is very similar: two pickups, hard tailpiece, selector switch. The differences? The Tele is built in 25.5" scale and the Les Paul in 24.75" scale. The Fender has one master tone and volume control. The Gibson has one tone and volume for each pickup. The Fender has either an alder or ash body, the Gibson has a mahogany body with a maple cap. The result is a brighter, twangier Fender and a darker, smoother Gibson.

The point is going to be which one you are comfortable with. At your price point you will probably be looking at a used example of either, but that is okay.

Oh, and ignore the Telecaster mafia when they come out and declare that the Tele is far superior. They do it every time.

Bob
Yes, I believe that staying with a Les Paul or Strat is the way to go for the OP. There are zillions of variations of these two tried and true designs. Just start playing every Strat and Les Paul you can find in the stores until you pick up the one that cocks your pistol.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 12-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Hard to beat a Strat for breadth of sound options, with 3 pickups in different places and 5 different combination options that all sound different, that's why I still play one. But, check out a bunch in your price range and see what you like best. Fit and feel of a Strat (or a Tele, they are similar) vs. a Les Paul vs. a SG or anything else is different, and only you can say what you like best.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 12-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
OP here.
The number one thing I think I want is play-ability, this coming from an acoustic player.
In the great majority of guitars made in the past few decades, playability is a question of choosing a style of neck and body the suits you, and investing in a setup. This applies regardless of price, though some shops might spend more time setting up expensive guitars than they would on inexpensive ones. I'm an acoustic player who sometimes plays electrics, and I have found that weight, and overall tone and good string-to-string balance are important to me, so it is more about pickups and electronics than timber and mechanics. I happen to like P90s, so I would looking guitars with 2*P90s.

I was the other way around to you, I gigged with acoustic guitars plugged into a decent electric amp.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
...I can go play a number of these once I get the list narrowed down.
Unless you're set on a specific type of electric, I'd strongly suggest trying as many different body styles as you can get your hands on, especially some semi-hollow guitars.

Definitely do a hands-on approach and try to have an open mind. It's great that you're considering a couple of guitars as disparate as a Tellie and SG and I'm sure you'll end up with something you really like as long as you give it a bit of time, and don't forget to try any guitar you're seriously considering in both sitting and standing positions.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 12-23-2017, 03:12 PM

To me I'd rather spend money on a VERY nice used guitar than buy a medium priced new electric guitar.

In the last few years I've found a lot of good quality used guitars.

Most of them from pawnshops, and a few off of CL.

I just picked up this KILLER '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top at a pawnshop yesterday.

This guitar with all it's appointments most likely ran about $3200-$3500 new.

I was able to use my silver forked tongue to get them down to $1200.

The deals on good quality high end electrics are out there.

It does take time and diligence to hunt them down.

I do put in a lot of time doing this 5 days a week.

Luckily for me, I do it during my sales route.

Here's some pics of my '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

Last edited by Texsunburst59; 12-23-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:13 PM

I am only recently coming into the acoustic world, having spent a great deal of time with electric archtops (from Eastman to Benedetto) and solidbody electrics.

I can't add too much to the conversation other than what's been stated, but my main electric guitars right now are a Parker Fly and a couple of PRS's. For me, the quality of the build and components are why those guitars cost what they did. The fret edges and feel of the neck; the electronics, everything just screams quality to me. My other guitars are Carvin's, and there is a difference between the PRS's and those. Are the differences warranted by the price differences, that's my decision as a consumer. And to me, I'd rather have one PRS versus two or three Carvin's.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
s2y, beautiful with a B Bender to sweeten the pie! -- Darwin
Thanks! Still one of my all time favs.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanta View Post
I am only recently coming into the acoustic world, having spent a great deal of time with electric archtops (from Eastman to Benedetto) and solidbody electrics.

I can't add too much to the conversation other than what's been stated, but my main electric guitars right now are a Parker Fly and a couple of PRS's. For me, the quality of the build and components are why those guitars cost what they did. The fret edges and feel of the neck; the electronics, everything just screams quality to me. My other guitars are Carvin's, and there is a difference between the PRS's and those. Are the differences warranted by the price differences, that's my decision as a consumer. And to me, I'd rather have one PRS versus two or three Carvin's.
Welcome to the AGF, Santa. Great time of year to join.

What PRSi do you own? Carvin's a great brand but I've never played before. I didn't realize that there was a jump between Carvins and PRSi.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Welcome to the AGF, Santa. Great time of year to join.

What PRSi do you own? Carvin's a great brand but I've never played before. I didn't realize that there was a jump between Carvins and PRSi.
My last name is always fun this time of the year

I currently have a CU24 and a HBII. There's certainly a jump between them. I think they are a good comparison too because they both make their own electronics and tuners. The quality of the tuners on the PRS is better and are much smoother, the pickups from PRS are voiced fantastically (I find nearly everything from Carvin/Kiesel to be really sterile), and fretwork is better on PRS as well. Again, not a huge difference, but the quality of the components and the fretwork are better from PRS. I think Kiesel offers great value (even with the change in ownership and some of his rants and lack of customer care), but I would take a PRS any day. For me, they are worth the extra cost. I'd honestly put my two Carvin's/Kiesels as the same quality level as the PRS SE line, but I like their pickups better than what Carvin offers.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Oh, and ignore the Telecaster mafia when they come out and declare that the Tele is far superior. They do it every time. Bob
No, do not ignore us, we are right!
Old 12-24-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I'll go one further and say to ignore anyone pushing a single guitar on a guy they've never met!

Go try lots of guitars, particularly some of the ones mentioned in the thread, and try to buy used. You can get a nice used PRS easily within your stated price range, not to mention many other guitars worthy of consideration and a lot of times you can find guitars with upgraded pickups for no more than the guitar would cost used with stock pickups.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars