The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 PM

Default Weber Gallatin A14-f Thoughts

Anyone play one of these or know anything about them.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 AM

They are quite good, although simply appointed. Hard to beat in a new mandolin at under $2000. You might do a bit better looking at some used models. Elderly Instruments, for example, has a "98 Flatiron Artist for a bit less and it is one of the best A styles ever made.

What type of music do you anticipate playing?
Old 11-29-2017, 05:59 AM

An A-style Gallatin is a very nice American made mandolin under $2K new. You can get them used, under $1300, or less depending on age. I have one and like it a lot.

Bruce Weber, the founder of Weber mandolins, is no longer with the company. Weber was bought out some years ago and Weber spent some time with the new owners company. I think he left about 3 years ago, his son continued for awhile. However, it's a bit early to tell whether that affects the instruments built in the past few years. Weber had some good employees.

Gregboyd.com has some good videos of the Gallatins and other Webers, as does the Mandolin Store and some other dealers.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I don't have anything to add, but as a guitar playing, mando player wanna-be have had the same questions regarding Weber instruments. Might want to ask this question over at the mandolin cafe.

How do the Weber models improve as the price goes up? ( ie: Gallatin -vs- Bitteroot -vs- Yellowstone, etc...) Is it just cosmetics, wood selection, or does the tone/sound/playability improve dramatically as you go up the line?

Just talking "A" models...which Weber model is most comparable to say a plain jane Collings MT?

BTW: over on reverb last week there were a LOT of new Webers with an extra 10% - 20% taken off at check-out which reduced the new price of Gallatins A's to around $1600....I'm sure the dealers would still honor the price if they have stock available.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 AM

Thanks all. I am a guitar player looking to add a mandolin. I have played a variety of mandolins at Guitar Center and a local guitar store. Other than a used Epiphone, they all sounded thin and hollow in the $500 ~ $800 price range.

Maybe, that's the way they all sound but I have the chance to play this Weber so I thought I would ask. The Weber is a three hour drive. Sounds like it is worth the risk.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
I don't have anything to add, but as a guitar playing, mando player wanna-be have had the same questions regarding Weber instruments. Might want to ask this question over at the mandolin cafe.

How do the Weber models improve as the price goes up? ( ie: Gallatin -vs- Bitteroot -vs- Yellowstone, etc...) Is it just cosmetics, wood selection, or does the tone/sound/playability improve dramatically as you go up the line?

Just talking "A" models...which Weber model is most comparable to say a plain jane Collings MT?

BTW: over on reverb last week there were a LOT of new Webers with an extra 10% - 20% taken off at check-out which reduced the new price of Gallatins A's to around $1600....I'm sure the dealers would still honor the price if they have stock available.
Moving up the line is primarily cosmetics. Binding, gloss, inlay, etc. The original Gallatins had mahogany backs and sides while the newer ones are maple so that aligns pretty with the rest of the models.

The Gallatin is the closest to a Collings MT, A style, tone bar bracing, satin finish. The MT add top binding. Also, you will find a vast difference in sound between a Weber and a Collings. The Weber have that throaty Gibson-esque tone while the Collings are decidedly brighter and more "airy"
Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
Thanks all. I am a guitar player looking to add a mandolin. I have played a variety of mandolins at Guitar Center and a local guitar store. Other than a used Epiphone, they all sounded thin and hollow in the $500 ~ $800 price range.

Maybe, that's the way they all sound but I have the chance to play this Weber so I thought I would ask. The Weber is a three hour drive. Sounds like it is worth the risk.
Mandolins are not easy to voice properly so most inexpensive ones will tend to sound pretty harsh. Cheap mandolins sound like someone dropping a handful of silverware on a hardwood floor. Entry point Webers and Collings both sound and play way better than anything you'll get under $1000.

Might mention also that mandolins have very different requirements as picks go. Wouldn't even consider using a pick under 1.5mm if you want a smooth, loud sound.

Used mandolins, even from the best makers, are disproportionately better values than comparable new and used guitars.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 PM

Eastman has some decent mandolins in the $400 to $800 range. In fact, I had an Eastman 505 before I got my Weber. I like the Weber better, but I liked the 505 fine. I used to be big into mandolin, but sold my mandolins and kept a mandola as I gravitated toward guitar.

One day I was in a shop that had some Eastmans and played them. They are much better than an Pac Rim mandolin from 10 years ago. In fact, they are quite impressive. They looked nice too.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:47 AM

So, I drove over to Bend, Oregon to the Breedlove/Weber/Bedell factory showroom and outlet store. If you get an opportunity, go there! But, first, lock your credit cards in a vault.

I ended up with a Breedlove Crossover which the store person recommended. He suggested that I come back in a year to upgrade after I knew enough to know what suits my style. Probably, sound advice.

Unfortunately, I also ran across a Bedell Coffee House guitar in their blemish room that called my name. After I had put it back a half dozen times my wife finally told me to just buy it. So I did before she changed her mind.

This is a very dangerous place. There are really great guitars everywhere you look. They also have a separate mandolin room full of Weber and Breedloves.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Dukesdad!
The outlet sounds like a very dangerous/fun kinda place.
Did you play/look at the Weber mandos while you were there?
Any Webers that were interesting or great prices?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Congrats Dukesdad!
The outlet sounds like a very dangerous/fun kinda place.
Did you play/look at the Weber mandos while you were there?
Any Webers that were interesting or great prices?
Lots Webers in the Mandolin room. I played a few with the three chords I knew. 😄

The place to find deals is in the blemish room. No mandolins there but the inventory rotates a lot. I found a great deal on a blemish Bedell guitar. And, I bought a Breedlove crossover mandolin.

As I said, a very dangerous place.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Dukesdad, congrats on the new guitar(s).
and thanks for the information about the clearance/blemish room...I am shopping.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments