The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Martin d41 on eBay

Hi everyone,

I’m new here so hope it’s ok to ask for advice on my first post.

I’m looking to buy a Martin D41 Ambertone. Not many retailers have it in stock at the moment.

There is one on eBay at a great price, from a seller who seems to trade in new guitars, but isn’t a dealer so I’m naturally cautious! (Although he has 100% positive feedback for only selling these guitars…)

https://ebay.us/EdS5S5

Has anyone on here purchased from this seller before ‘guitars and basses and more’?

Thank you!
Old 08-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szjp View Post
Hi everyone,
There is one on eBay at a great price,

from a seller who seems to trade in new guitars, but isn’t a dealer

so I’m naturally cautious! (Although he has 100% positive feedback for only selling these guitars…)

https://ebay.us/EdS5S5
First welcome to the AGF. I have no experience with this seller. It does look a great guitar at a great price.

One consideration is: See page 4 of link - B. WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

https://www.martinguitar.com/on/dema...e-warranty.pdf

Warranty to original purchaser. Seller must be an authorized dealer.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 08-05-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:55 AM

Thanks for your reply. I’m aware that the warranty will not be honored. That’s a risk I’m willing to take as if it was a used guitar.

I guess I’m more concerned about it being a fake? I don’t really know how widespread ‘high end’ fakes might actually be?
Old 08-05-2021, 11:08 AM

Welcome to the AGF! If you want, you can join a charter membership here for a small fee. Here is the link with info. This will allow you you place a "want to buy" ad in our classified section, which has been enjoyed by many of our members. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

It looks legit to me, don't see anything that screams fake. Seller has good feedback and eBay offers good buyer protection. Risk to you is minimal.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I’m aware that the warranty will not be honored. That’s a risk I’m willing to take as if it was a used guitar.

I guess I’m more concerned about it being a fake? I don’t really know how widespread ‘high end’ fakes might actually be?
Ok. You didn't indicate that initially. How widespread are fakes? Again, no personal experience. I own a Martin D40.. very similar. I didn't notice anything in the supplied pics that looked questionable - but they could be stock photos.

Ask for a picture of the serial number burned into the internal neck block. You can easily "date" it on the CF Martin website.

You will not be the first one to ask. If the seller is on the up and up - and wants your $4k+ business - he'll accommodate your request.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 08-05-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:09 PM

I'd bet good money that is legit. It had a good, but not "too good to be true" price, it has unique pics not stock. the seller has high feedback and 30 day returns. If it were me I'd message him to try and grind down the price a little (not a lot), but then probably relent for his price. You might message Sweetwater and see if they can beat it (you never know). I say go for it. I have this exact model and it is awesome.

It is 100% definitely not a high end fake. it's a recent (2018-2021) martin D41
Old 08-05-2021, 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone. The seller had been very friendly and responsive - until I asked for a photo of the serial number, which he just hasn’t responded to me which strikes me as odd.

The photos are the same as previous listings of the same model he has sold (and has positive feedback for selling) rather than the actual guitar.

I’d be happy to pay about 4500 from a retailer but I can only find one or two places online that have it in stock unfortunately. I also don’t know if that’s too much of a discount to expect as well (retail is 5100 I think)?
Old 08-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...The photos are the same as previous listings of the same model he has sold (and has positive feedback for selling) rather than the actual guitar...
I would definitely ask for and expect pictures of the actual guitar that you're purchasing, especially at that price...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-05-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I would definitely ask for and expect pictures of the actual guitar that you're purchasing, especially at that price...

I agree with this^^^^

I’m not affiliated with the seller of the D41 listed in the AGF classifieds but I’m wondering if you were aware?

2005 Martin D41 Special w LR Baggs Anthem 3300 Shipped *Price Drop
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=621566

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. The seller had been very friendly and responsive - until I asked for a photo of the serial number, which he just hasn’t responded to me which strikes me as odd.

The photos are the same as previous listings of the same model he has sold (and has positive feedback for selling) rather than the actual guitar.

I’d be happy to pay about 4500 from a retailer but I can only find one or two places online that have it in stock unfortunately. I also don’t know if that’s too much of a discount to expect as well (retail is 5100 I think)?
The pics in his listing are not the actual guitar for sale? I would look elsewhere. That's deceptive - I would be done with that seller over that issue. I got one from Willcutt in March for 15% off msrp which after tax came to about $4500 out the door. Then after the fact found that Sweetwater would have beat it by a notch. Eddies might have some and be in that price ballpark.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Requesting pics of the actual guitar including serial number is not a strange request.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I’ll try some of those stores and see what they say.
I want this to be a ‘forever’ guitar & prefer the ambertone finish. I did see that one on the classifieds though and was tempted. The neck and bridge reset put me off a little though. I’m not experienced enough to know if that’s been done well or not, especially from photos. Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on that!
Old 08-05-2021, 02:19 PM

Are there fakes? here is a craigslist post I was in Los Angeles:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...359228696.html

Great price, NO? I reached out to seller asking for serial number, date of guitar and some non-stock pictures of the actual guitar.

He responded: Yes I have it.

I responded what year and what is serial number, his response: Is perfectly OK.

I asked the same question, he has not responded.

So either a fake, or an attempt to get me to his house and rob me?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...359228696.html

So either a fake, or an attempt to get me to his house and rob me?
Doubtful legit. D-42 for $2k, pics from internet. Sounds like a pipe over the head once you’re in the house.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion