The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM

Default Cheapish'....electric...?

..I'm playing acoustic J45 and 12 fretters (no gigs ?) ...looking for a 'cheapish' electric for when gigs start up again (virus).....
Squire Telecaster in mind..or perhaps a Gretsch...
Any suggestions as I'm not really an electric player these days....
Not too much money £300/£400 max.....
Old 08-04-2021, 10:41 AM

If you're coming over from a big-body acoustic a Gretsch Electromatic 5420 might be a good choice - somewhat above your target budget, but unlike the entry-level Streamliner Series this is a fully pro-quality, gigworthy instrument that just happens to sell for an intermediate/step-up price:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/search?c...ce:&pageSize:&
Old 08-04-2021, 08:53 PM

Squier Classic Vibe, pick your favorite, Strat, Tele, Jaguar. I would go with a Classic Vibe Telecaster because the hardware (tuners, trem, etc) tend to be the weak points on budget guitars, and a Telecaster has the fewest moving parts.

Honestly, a Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster and a Boss Katana 50 is about $700 US and completely giggable.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:00 PM

You might take a look at an Epiphone Inspired by Gibson ES-335 Figured Raspberry Tea Burst (or some other option). ~ $600 US new.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-05-2021, 09:01 AM

Doing some back of mind currency conversion you are a little below where I think the "sweet spot" is for very good values in new electric guitars today. Used prices are not as predictable, so it's harder to say what they'd be. You can buy a workable new electric as those prices and with a suitable amp and input from it's operator make music that people and the player will enjoy.

Like Steve you may want to go a bit higher. I think the Classic Vibe Squier Teles are nice, and my CV Jaguar gets it's playing time with me. I suspect the CV Strats hold their own as well. I'm very much enjoying my new Guild Starfire Jet 90. If I was to point out one lesser known model that is an excellent value I'd point to the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster. Great sound. Easy to setup with the strings of your choice (regular CV Jags and Jazzmasters can befuddle modern players or those who use modern lighter string gauges).

All of these are above your price point new at present prices. But they aren't miles or kilometers above.

I think it's possible gig and enjoy guitar in the entry level (in US Dollars sub $300) range. You may need to do some careful setup or minor fixes.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-05-2021, 01:47 PM

Dave - I think it comes down to whether you prefer humbuckers vs single coils and whether you prefer the Gibson vs Fender scale length (along with the neck radius/neck profiles if that concerns you).

Do you know if you have a preference?
Old 08-05-2021, 02:18 PM

Some of my favorite guitars in my personal stash are relatively inexpensive.
The main issue I have with them is the cheap tuning machines. Replacing them with nicer ones would be an easy fix.
The pickups tend to be noisier on inexpensive guitars as well...

Depending on your budget, the G and L Tribute series, the Fender Squier Classic Vibe series and the Epiphone Les Paul reissue models might float your boat.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:00 PM

i agree with dru, you need to decide if you prefer humbuckers or single coils, i prefer single coils all the way, however i do have 2 guitars with HB on the bridge, both have push/pull split coil though
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 08-06-2021, 10:33 AM

A lot of those models that I pointed out are P90* pickup guitars. If one is sitting between humbucker and single coil in one's preferences, the P90 delivers that. Which part of it's character is more predominate seems to come out with volume settings and amp gain etc.

Other pickups are around that sweet spot. Dynasonic single coils are a bit like that, but hard to find. Small humbuckers in the LP Deluxe or Firebird styles are another rare bird, and the best Filtertrons I think are in that middle ground.

Another thing we may not be picking up is that the OP is asking about is around a $250 price point, which is way below what the Squire CV etc line goes for new. He may want to go a bit higher, but if it's a hard cap, the choices are more iffy I think.

Maybe an Epi LP Junior model, maybe from their lower lines that are cheaper than the new IBG line? Maybe with a pickup swap?

*The Squier J Macis Jazzmaster is reputed to be more a P90 than traditional Jazzmaster design pickup. Sounds fine, whatever it is. My Guild Starfire I Jet 90 are called "Franz" style pickups (after an old Guild pickup model.) I find them sort of P90-like as well. The pickups in my Epiphone 339 P90 model are great, but I'm unsure that model is available in Great Britain, and if it is, it's likely above the OP's original idea of a price range, as are my other suggestions.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-12-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
A lot of those models that I pointed out are P90* pickup guitars. If one is sitting between humbucker and single coil in one's preferences, the P90 delivers that. Which part of it's character is more predominate seems to come out with volume settings and amp gain etc.

Other pickups are around that sweet spot. Dynasonic single coils are a bit like that, but hard to find. Small humbuckers in the LP Deluxe or Firebird styles are another rare bird, and the best Filtertrons I think are in that middle ground.

Another thing we may not be picking up is that the OP is asking about is around a $250 price point, which is way below what the Squire CV etc line goes for new. He may want to go a bit higher, but if it's a hard cap, the choices are more iffy I think.

Maybe an Epi LP Junior model, maybe from their lower lines that are cheaper than the new IBG line? Maybe with a pickup swap?

*The Squier J Macis Jazzmaster is reputed to be more a P90 than traditional Jazzmaster design pickup. Sounds fine, whatever it is. My Guild Starfire I Jet 90 are called "Franz" style pickups (after an old Guild pickup model.) I find them sort of P90-like as well. The pickups in my Epiphone 339 P90 model are great, but I'm unsure that model is available in Great Britain, and if it is, it's likely above the OP's original idea of a price range, as are my other suggestions.
I think most of the crappyest electrics I have ever laid hands on were the super low end Epiphones, the ones in Squire affinity price range. My personal rule of thumb is to avoid any Epiphone with a bolt on neck like the plague, once they have a set net they are usually in the $500+ CAD range, but they are generally good instruments.

Played a few Epiphone SG specials this last year, which have two P-90's, a set neck, and come in at about $500-$550 CAD (seems like that would be fairly close to his upper limit) and found them to be a great guitar. Although I'm generally more of a LP guy, I think the SG has the neck pickup closer to the bridge, and that neck P-90 had a tight crisp sound when overdriven hard that the LP's generally do not.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:28 AM

See if there's anything that you might like, second hand. Preferably near enough to try before buying.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 08-23-2021, 12:32 AM

Harley Benton guitars get positive reviews https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/ha...c_guitars.html
Old 08-25-2021, 04:37 PM

For an inexpensive guitar, around here you can not beat Peavey Raptor Plus. $100 or under for a Strat copy. The hardware is ok, the tuners not quite up to the ones on my old G&L but not too far off. I would rather have a single coil in the bridge, one day I might split the humbucker. I have three of them (lent one out) and paid less than $100 for all three together although I had to fix the wiring on two. Seems the jack can get loose and the wire stressed. Just make sure the nut is tight.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:09 PM

The Ibanez AZ ES just came out yesterday. I believe it will be in the $299 range. I've seen some product demos and it looks to be a really good guitar. I actually want one myself.

Tomo Fujita collaborated with Ibanez to make this line.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/model/azes/
Old 09-02-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

In my opinion, it's hard to beat one of the newer Inspired by Gibson Les Paul Specials or Worn SGs with P90s. The Squire line is quite good too. Even the Affinity tele I bought recently was fine just as it came from the factory. Eventually you may need to upgrade tuners or electronics, but that would probably be a ways down the road.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars