The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2021, 05:50 AM

Default McPherson Sable vs Emerald X20

I find myself increasingly playing in outdoor venues, and my guitars are going in and out of tune with the temperature and humidity. On a couple extremely hot and humid days I've even experienced string buzzing. I've decided I need to add a carbon fiber guitar to address the issue. Based on what I've read and seen on the internet, I've narrowed my search down to the McPherson Sable and Emerald X20. Unfortunately, there is no local dealer that carries these instruments, so I'm unable to demo them.

I'm seeking feedback from any and all who have actually played one, or hopefully both of these instruments. What are you impressions - the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and impressions you're willing to share.

Emerald X-20
Guild BT-240E
Journey OF660
Old 08-02-2021, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

IMO, if you primarily strum and flatpick playing plugged in, both should be fantastic tools. If playing unplugged, I think the Sable will have a slightly bigger/bolder sound (the Emerald X-30 might be more comparable to the Sable than the X-20).

I have an X-20 and a Rainsong Al Pettaway SE and for the type of solo I play, I find the Rainsong is the better tool because it has more pronounced top end to bring the melody out. The Rainsong also has a (very) plain satin finish versus the beautiful poly gloss finish on the X-20 so it seems a touch louder. The X-20 to me is a good “jack of all trades” even though I find its tone to have a hint of twang that I don't prefer for fingerstyle. The X-20 is gorgeous to look at and super comfortable to play.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 08-03-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:20 AM

Does the Sable have an adjustable truss rod ?
Even though some carbon fiber guitar manufactures
claim an adjustable truss rod isn't necessary, 2 of my Emerald
guitars have had some minor truss rod tweaking.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-02-2021, 07:30 AM
Guest 928

GE;

You might to indicate where you are and ask if anyone near you has a CF instrument you might try.

Also, I would not be hasty in narrowing your list of options. You're focused on two of the big four; you might want also want to consider Rainsong and Blackbird--they have some pretty fetching instruments.

Last edited by Guest 928; 08-02-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I had an Emerald X20 (previous version), played the new one for a few hours, and I own a recent Emerald Sable.

Acoustically the Sable sounds closer to a wooden guitar than the X20, and the highs sound a bit darker.
The X20 feels smaller than it is due to the bevels and contours, the access to the upper frets is fantastic.
The Sable is slightly heavier. The satin texture of the neck is the best I've played, really smooth.
The X20 looks a bit futuristic but I find it quite cool, the Sable won't win a beauty pageant.
The finish and attention to details on the McPherson has no equivalent in the CF world.
The Sable has a fixed carbon truss rod, but is more rigid than anything else you'll find with an adjustable one and it won't move a mm if you change the string gauge. That being said if you have a specific requirement for the relief better to go with an X20.

Choosing one or the other is really a matter of taste, there's no wrong answer. Subjectively I find that the McPherson has the most beautiful tone of all the carbon guitars I've played. But if you use the pickup a lot the Emerald has many more options than the simple UST Element in the Sable.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi GE - this is how it starts: having an interest in carbon fiber for what it brings to the humidity concerns. Then, you find out you really like the sound. Oh, you think, "I'll just add one carbon fiber for those times..." and then find you want another.

I own an X20 and have had the opportunity to play a couple Sables. From my perspectives, both are fine guitars. Both stand up well to any wood guitars. Like any two wood guitars of different build, these two guitars will sound different from each other. I prefer the sound of the X20, which seems punchier than the Sable, which sounds darker. Like a Taylor compared to a Martin... which is an over-simplification, as both Taylor and Martin have so many models.

Not a lot of McPherson dealers out there, but you can find them online. Emeralds are only sold direct from their factory in Ireland - no dealers. I have seen the Sable listed on Guitar Center online.

The Sable has a similar shape to McPherson wood models. The X20 is a design departure from a traditional guitar. Carbon fiber allows the designer to make the guitar more ergonomically friendly, if they choose. The 3 Emeralds I have are the most comfortable to play of any guitars I've owned over the years; it makes the X20 feel smaller while still providing the sound of a bigger guitar. There are differences in the playing experience, with the X20 soundhole coming "at you" and the offset soundhole on the Sable projecting forward while being closer to your ear than a typical center soundhole. Both guitars project forward nicely. Personally, I prefer the stylish soundhole design and placement on the X20.

Good luck with the search - it will be worth your efforts. Narrowing it down to those two delightful guitars makes me feel that you can't go wrong. No doubt you will get some suggestions on RainSong models that will compete with the two you are considering; RainSong also makes nice guitars. A RainSong was my first carbon fiber guitar, and you may find more dealers for those compared to the Sable. I prefer the sound and feel of the Emerald or the Sable over the various RainSongs I've played, but there is a good reason RainSong has so many fans, as well.

It's a good time to be a carbon fiber player.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I've owned many (6) Emeralds and (3) RainSongs. I've never played a Sable though. I hear they sound great but they are also a little on the heavy side, at least as compared to the Emeralds.

The X20 is a great choice, sort of the Swiss Army knife of the Emerald lineup. Great sound and super comfortable to play plus it's a real looker especially if you go woody or custom. If you plan to buy/order new then you can really get it just the way you want it. Since you are looking for a live guitar I assume that means you'll need/want a pickup system. That has always been my downside with the Emeralds in that I was never truly happy with the amplified sound. But that was more about the pickup systems. If I was to ever order another custom from them it would be an X20 woody with an LR Baggs Anthem StagePro since that is the best of what they offer, in my opinion. Still not as good as my Cole Clarks, but definitely a decent system.

These days I'm playing the RainSong as my carbon fiber all weather guitar and a lot of that is due to the LR Baggs Anthem StagePro that the Vintage and Nashville models come with. Since you're looking at guitars up in the $3k-plus range (again, assuming new) I'd add the RainSong to your list. The WS model in the Vintage or Nashville series is an excellent choice for live play and about the same general dimensions as the X20 and Sable. Or you could go dread or short scale OM as well.

Whatever you do, keep us posted!
Old 08-02-2021, 08:35 AM

I have an X20 set primarily for fingerstyle with low tension strings, short scale and 12 frets. I hardly use picks, when I don't play fingerstyle I still have my index finger as a pick. I strongly believe that the sound of the guitar very much depends on the strings and your way of playing, not just on the guitar itself. Using flatwound round core strings (except for the low E) I don't think the X20 has either too many highs or too few. Rather, I feel a particular difference in some mid-tones which I still believe is the typical timbre of this model (X20), which is different from the audio samples I have been able to hear for X30 and X7. In the purchase phase I expected carbon fiber guitars to sound much higher, colder ringing than traditional wooden guitars but this is not the case (at least to my ears), I think especially for the strings I matched. Choosing the strings that best suit the sound you are looking for the instrument you own will be essential in obtaining satisfaction and correcting the sound of the instrument itself. Moreover, and almost always, the comparisons you read (or listen to) are made between different guitars and different strings which makes the comparison much less truthful. At least the same strings should be used to make comparisons. I also have a Lava Me 2 (as a travel guitar) and i don't limit myself to my favorite strings (Thomastik Infeld Plectrum). I will continue to test other strings on my X20 as well, the next will be SIT semi flat silencers.

Last edited by domen; 08-02-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I've owned both, still own a Sable, I only play for myself, so that enters into it. My opinion is that the X20 is lighter and likely more comfortable to play standing. The Sable has the tone I prefer. Better? no...different. It is a bit darker (good description Jim) and maybe not as loud acoustically as the X20. I much prefer the neck on the Sable, one of the best necks I have ever owned. Also the X20 has that sound hole pointing right at your face, that can take a while to get used to. I rarely plug in, so that does not matter to me. Both are awesome guitars and works of art to me. You should really buy one of each. LOL Find a good retailer (LA Guitars) that has a trial period if you decide to try the Sable.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:21 AM

Hi GELewis,

I don't usually respond on threads but I own both of these guitars and suspect not a lot of other people do so perhaps my opinions are useful to you.

You didn't say anything about your preferred playing style. So that you can weight my comments, I'll say I play with a flatpick 95% of the time, and the other 5% is learning to hybrid pick with a flatpick + metal fingerpicks. I am mostly a living room player -- now that vaccines are out I have started going to some community jam sessions. Definitely in the "enthusiastic amateur" camp, not at all a pro.

I've had the X20 much longer, nearly 2 years now. It's taken me a while but at this point I've gotten it set up and gotten my fingers and ears totally wrapped around this guitar and would not trade it for anything. It has a great bottom end -- strong and deep, growly when I want it. But not boomy or flabby. It's kind of like the guitar has a built-in subwoofer -- except that it's a really high quality sealed-box subwoofer, not one of those boomy ported ones. It also has a very strong treble as well. The tonal balance is similar to a good dread, but it's got its own voice going, it's not the same sound you get playing a vintage dread. But that voice is pretty fabulous. It's definitely a modern voice -- would work well for Americana, classic rock, country, pop, etc. Not the right guitar if you want that 1920's short scale hog-top blues box sound. Additionally the guitar is incredibly light and comfortable and the neck plays like a dream. I keep Martin Retro's on it (medium gage) and I swear I only have to give the tuning machines a minor tweak every other week or so.

I've only had the Sable since this spring. It's equally great. Depending on the day, some days I think to myself "hmm the Sable sounds better" and other days "hmm I think the X20 sounds better." The guitar is slightly heavier than the X20, but to me that's not noticeable once I'm wearing it (I always use a strap), I only notice when I am lifting it off the hook on the wall. It's not quite as curvy as the X20 but it's still OM-sized so pretty comfy. I like that the sides and back have a slightly rough texture -- being a strap wearer, it means that the guitar basically sticks to my body like velcro and doesn't move. That stability is great. The neck is slightly fatter than the X20, but equally comfortable to me. The nut spacing is the same between the two guitars; the saddle spacing on the Sable is I think 1/16" narrower if that matters to you. The tone on the Sable is great as well, but it is definitely different than the X20. Unlike most other CF guitars, the Sable has internal bracing, not so much for strength as for tone shaping. As a result the Sable's voice is much closer to a wood guitar. I'm told that it is almost exactly the same as the McPherson Camrielle (their $10K wood OM). Trebles are a little less cutting than the X20. Tonal balance more OM-like than dread-like. Additionally, probably because of the bracing, the Sable plays with a little more natural compression. It's almost like playing a hog-top guitar. I have to hit the strings a little harder if I want them to go to 11. Depending on your playing style, you may prefer that, or the more responsive unbraced top on the X20.

Practically speaking they both can get equally loud. I would say that the Sable is slightly more balanced and the trebles are a little sweeter -- more like traditional wood OM. X20, both bass and trebles slightly stronger. So tonal balance honestly more like a good dread. (but again, with a great CF voice, not a wood bodied voice).

I have a small amp I use at home for fun only -- it's fun to get loud when DW is out of the house. I've gotten both guitars to the point where they amplify really well but it's been a journey. They both came with Baggs Element pickups. Sounded OK played soft but quickly quacked out when hit hard with a flatpick. I went through a couple of different alternative pickups from my collection. For both guitars, I ultimately landed on a Seymour Duncan Wavelength pickup as the best compromise. For the X20 it's the regular version with VT control. For the Sable I actually jerry-rigged the Wavelength Duo (which is the multi-source version, with a mic). I had to put in the mic / controls element slightly at an angle but it's working great now. I tried both SBT-based picks and a Baggs Lyric but those didn't work as well (especially in the X20 -- it's so responsive that it would start to get weird resonances even at very low volumes). Anyways at the end of the journey, the SD Wavelength sounds great in both guitars, and I highly recommend it. Once I get the gain settings right, I can completely eliminate the quack. A a little roll-off on the bass, a little compression, a little delay or reverb, and they both sounds great. I'm using a Boss AD-10 preamp to accomplish those finishing tweaks. It is interesting to me that even amplified using the same UST pick-up, the tonal characteristics of the guitars come through and I can hear the differences.

If you do decide to change out pickups, the offset sound hole design is both a help and a hindrance. A help because it's easy to reach in and move things around, even without taking the strings off. A hindrance because some pickups are built assuming a standard center-hole sound hole and either don't fit an offset sound hole at all (almost all mag pickups), or must be jerry-rigged to fit around the sound hole placement (and bracing on the Sable). So your pickup choices are a little more limited.

Other minor points of comparison:

The X20 came stock with a very nice Hiscox flight case. The Sable came with a very nice Reunion Blues bag -- which is much sturdier and protective than most gig bags I've seen. For me the Renunion Blues gig bag is more practical than the Hiscox but I know lots of people prefer hard cases. The X20 fits well enough in the Sable's bag, so I use that bag if I want to take the X20 somewhere.

I'm not sure why but the tuning on the X20 seems slightly more stable day-to-day than the Sable. I tune the X20 once a week whether it needs it or not ... I do find I need to tune the Sable each time I play it. Usually it needs only a minor tweak to one or two strings. But it does need that tweak.

I got my X20 with a woody top (blue curly maple, yeah!) I think it looks really cool. But it's definitely not a traditional acoustic look ... if anything it's more of an electric guitar look.

With the Sable your choices are black CF ... or black CF ... or black CF. That said, when I first got my Sable my DW said "what's that, I really like that?" She didn't say that when I got the X20. Go figure.

To sum it all up -- both are great guitars, period. Both have all the advantages of CF. Both have fantastic playability. Both sound fantastic. Both can amplify really well (but you might choose to self-install a Wavelength pickup if you don't like how the stock Element sounds for your playing style). Both are extremely comfortable to play (assuming you like a full-length scale, 14-fret body, and 1.75" nut -- which I do). That said, these two guitars have different voices, which might suit different players and playing situations better or worse. In short I think you should get both of them :-)

Last edited by BlueStarfish; 08-10-2021 at 07:35 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 AM
Guest 928

Blue;

Very nice review.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

I can give you my impressions on the X-30 I had and the Sable I still have. The X30 has all the positives and negatives of a good Martin dreadnought. Nice full tone across all 6 strings, very powerful bass response, and the same quirky wolf tones on the E-F-F# on the D string. I’m perhaps the only person who didn’t love the Emerald ergonomics - perhaps if I had given it more time, I could have bonded with it, but with my playing the lower bout behind the sound hole poked me in the ribs. To be fair, I could change my playing style to get around this but there were other comprises necessary to make it work. Fit and finish were excellent.

The Sable has the same string to string full tone that I’ve come to expect from CF instruments, but the tone is even darker and woodier sounding. And it has a depth of tone that I’ve never seen in a guitar of this size - before this, I’ve always played larger instruments because I prefer the increased depth of tone, but the Sable delivers this same tone in a smaller, more comfortable package. Although the composite back and sides are not very aesthetically pleasing to my eye, they are ridiculously practical. I play in a pseudo-classical position on my right thigh, and all you do is set the position, and the grippy texture just locks itself right in. Fit and finish are flawless.

Both instruments have the wonderful Gotoh 510s (only the Blackout Sables have these) - the X30 I bought as stock came with 18:1 tuners and my Sable came with the 21:1. I have learned much about Gotoh 510 tuners this year and I think I will start a separate topic on the main forum as I’ve learned that not all of these tuners are the same in spite of the fact it is the same company and model number.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Lots of great, and fair, comparisons so far.

I’ve never played a Sable, but I do own two X20s, and I live in Minnesota.

I’d be happy to meet up and let you try them if we can figure out the logistics.

What I’m loving here - all CF guitars have their own personality, just as wood guitars do. It’s not “CF or wood” - it’s all about the best guitar for you.

And none of them sound like plastic
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-02-2021, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Other minor points of comparison:

The X20 came stock with a very nice Hiscox flight case. The Sable came with a very nice Reunion Blues bag

With the Sable your choices are black CF ... or black CF ... or black CF. In short I think you should get both of them :-)
Great review pointing out the differences, there are several different CF weaves and the honeycomb pattern available on the Sable as well as several hardware choices. You probably know that though. The original Sables came with a nice faux CF hard case if you can find one. I would prefer the soft case though. Be sure and keep us posted on your journey.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:47 PM

i can't speak for Emerald, but I am a very satisfied Sable owner...very...
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber