The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-01-2021, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Sunday Morning

It is six o’clock on a Sunday morning. A heavy marine layer has moved in overnight, reducing visibility to about a hundred yards. I am on the front porch in shorts and a tee, wrapped up in a blanket against the chilly morning air.

The rez healer is in the rose garden where the reds, pinks, and yellows pop against the grey morning backdrop. She is busy burying a bone that she will dig up in a couple of days…that is, if the beagle doesn’t find it first.

The wildflowers my wife has planted at the edge of the porch are in full bloom – Indian blanket, scarlet sage and black-eyed Susans. She has planted blackberry bushes there too, and I find two ripe ones as an early morning treat. The evidence suggests that once again the dogs have harvested the ripe berries first.

The rez healer has taken up her self-assigned duty post midway down the driveway. She will charge down the lane to meet and greet and all walkers passing by our gate. She is especially eager to meet other dogs. In the two years we have had her she has made more new friends in the neighborhood than my wife and I can total together.

I hear a slight buzzing. An Anna’s hummingbird is hovering a foot in front of me at eye level. She cocks her head first left, then right, to get a better look at this intruder to her feeding grounds. After a moment of contemplation she flits back to the Indian blanket.

It is good start to the morning.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 08-01-2021, 08:34 AM

Ahhhhhh. Sounds wonderful.

Mine is just back from the 90 seconds of walk to the lake where I watched a heron catch a fish and saw the fish (still alive of course, as the heron has no teeth) wriggling and stretching the heron's throat in a very comical/weird way; swallows flirting in the most astounding aerobatics. Tops of the trees should be in dawn light but are not as we also have a marine layer in. Alas, no real rain. We have not had a drop - and this is VANCOUVER! - in 46 days. The wildfires are enjoying the dry spell, with smoke being a bit of a problem...

Still, life is good because it is present. The alternative is drastic.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 08-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Wow!

What a lovely scene you have painted with words. It's good to be fully alive.

- Glenn
Old 08-01-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Nice!… sounds like that creative writing class paid off…
Old 08-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Nice. I appreciate you, Cypress Knee.

Here, I’m waiting for the temp to reach 100, but the humidity will send the heat index soaring. I won’t describe it. On the bright side, it’s pretty quiet here as the ambient gunfire and sirens ain’t started yet.

Optima dies, prima fugit

Last edited by Jim Owen; 08-01-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Nice!… sounds like that creative writing class paid off…
The scenes described above are beautiful. But humor is an equally important part to writing, and this made me LOL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic