The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-08-2021, 03:10 PM

Default Recording with Big Sur on Mac Questions

I record on a Mac with usb mics and haven't any problems - I'm still running High Sierra.

Is anybody here recording using Big Sur with usb mics, and if so did you have to get new equipment when you upgraded?

Harriet
Old 07-08-2021, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
I record on a Mac with usb mics and haven't any problems - I'm still running High Sierra.

Is anybody here recording using Big Sur with usb mics, and if so did you have to get new equipment when you upgraded?

Harriet
You'll find people with a variety of reactions to Big Sur ranging from "no problem" to "many problems." It's really going to come down to whether the companies who have created the software you're using (including firmware updates for hardware) have done the work to test and adjust their products for Big Sur compatibility.

So your first step should be to find out whether the companies that built your mics have made them Big Sur compliant and whether you need to update any software to achieve that compliance.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-09-2021, 03:29 AM

Thankx Jim1960. I found a section on Sweetwater that includes a compatibility list:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ibility-guide/
Old 07-09-2021, 08:47 PM

I have a test system set up with Big Sur right now on an M1 Mac. So far it's stable. I don't have a USB Mic to test. I've been testing it with my usual setup (Pro Tools being fed by 3 Metric Halo ULN-8s). Granted, I haven't tested it with any huge projects...just test sessions (20-ish tracks). But it's working without issue.

I will say, for all the commotion about the M1, while impressive...it's not quite the same performance as my iMac Pro. Impressive for a small, low power chip for sure...but not quite the power house that some led me to believe.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 07-10-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I have a test system set up with Big Sur right now on an M1 Mac. So far it's stable. I don't have a USB Mic to test. I've been testing it with my usual setup (Pro Tools being fed by 3 Metric Halo ULN-8s). Granted, I haven't tested it with any huge projects...just test sessions (20-ish tracks). But it's working without issue.

I will say, for all the commotion about the M1, while impressive...it's not quite the same performance as my iMac Pro. Impressive for a small, low power chip for sure...but not quite the power house that some led me to believe.
That's good news about Protools and the USB-C interfaces , maybe they are solving the issues, the Sweetwater list has over 100 manufacturers that were initially effected and you noted that you are using the Apple M1 chip which was another thing I was interested in knowing more about.

I'm curious as what M1 mac you have and and you buy anything specifically for the Big Sur upgrade or using hardware/software from a previous operating system?
Old 07-10-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post

Agreed that is why I bought a Intel iMac last December even though M1 was available in Mac mini, base Macbook pro and Air .

I think the commotion though is really is more about the future potential of the tech than the specific M1 (although for it's price and weight class it does appear to be punching way above intel)

Here is another prognostication video about that potential

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-11-2021, 07:03 AM

Thanks for that video, Kevwind. I could be wrong my understanding is that chips interect with the operating system and Apple is coming out with OS12, so I don't know how or if my hardware/software equipment will be effected forcing unwanted acquisition.I downloaded Big Sur while I still have the chance and ordered Catalina, I have the Mojave installer. Hopefully I can still record on the mac mini/high sierra platform for awhile without additional expense.

Apple apparently doesn't offer these days a previous operating system in the app store for very long so if any forum members want to have Big Sur on hand it might be a good idea to download before Monterey comes out. They say they have the Catalina installer online, but its not the full install just a 19mg download.

Harriet
Old 07-11-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for that video, Kevwind. I could be wrong my understanding is that chips interect withthe operating system and Apple is coming out with OS12, so I don't know how or if my hardware/software equipment will be effected forcing unwanted acquisition.I downloaded Big Sur while I still have the chance and ordered Catalina, I have the Mojave installer. Hopefully I can still record on the mac mini/high sierra platform for awhile without additional expense.

Apple apparently doesn't offer these days a previous operating system in the app store for very long so if any forum members want to have Big Sur on hand it might be a good idea to download before Monterey comes out. They say they have the Catalina installer online, but its not the full install just a 19mg download.

Harriet
Sorry I don not understand what you mean by "I could be wrong my understanding is that chips interect with the operating system"

I agree Apple has made it very difficult to download anything but the current latest OS
In fact I want to down load the previous Big Sur ,,,the 11.3 version (what is currently qualified with my Avid interface) not 11.4

I did find this web sight, it looks legitimate... BUT it is not Apple, so take that as you may

https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-system...for-macadmins/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-11-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They say they have the Catalina installer online, but its not the full install just a 19mg download.
I installed Catalina in May. I got it here.
Using that file, I was able to d/l a complete installation. I don't think the size of the file matters since the bulk of the OS is going to be retrieved via the internet during the install process.

YouTube
Old 07-11-2021, 11:32 AM

Hi Jim1960 and Kevwind. That's the same link that I used - it downloads an update of about 19 mgs. Alot of websites posted that link and it reads that it's a 4.80G file .but it was updated recently apparently.

Kevwind, I can't explain it any better. we'll know if they upgrade to a multichip computer They usually put up a list of machines and which operating systems they can run. Musically it might effect manufacturers again.

Harriet
Old 07-11-2021, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Jim1960 and Kevwind. That's the same link that I used - it downloads an update of about 19 mgs. Alot of websites posted that link and it reads that it's a 4.80G file .but it was updated recently apparently.
I'm not going to pretend I know all the in and outs of how these huge files wind up on out computers, but that's the link I used and it worked. Rather than giving up on it at the point where you decided to abort, I'd suggest following through with the process. Apple hasn't cut off access to Catalina and that's the link they provide to those who want to download it. If that link couldn't be used to install Catalina, Apple wouldn't have it in the store anymore.

YouTube
Old 07-11-2021, 12:51 PM

Hi Jim1960 thanks for your input, I think I'll hold steady or go with Mojave if my usb mics are compatible with it for now.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To clarify the link Jim posted is from the Apple App store .
The link I posted isn't ... I just down loaded the Big Sur File from the link I posted and it was 12+ GB

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-11-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
To clarify the link Jim posted is from the Apple App store .
The link I posted isn't ... I just down loaded the Big Sur File from the link I posted and it was 12+ GB
Yes, the Big Sur install is then available through your link, and also through the Apple store, weighing in at 12.43GB. I downloaded from the App store.

I did call Apple and they walked me through the downloading and recommended install proceedure for the Catalina OS, so I am good to go there.
The next step for me is to confirm USB mic compatibility...
Old 07-11-2021, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for that video, Kevwind. I could be wrong my understanding is that chips interect with the operating system and Apple is coming out with OS12, so I don't know how or if my hardware/software equipment will be effected forcing unwanted acquisition.I downloaded Big Sur while I still have the chance and ordered Catalina, I have the Mojave installer. Hopefully I can still record on the mac mini/high sierra platform for awhile without additional expense.
It depends on the age of your Mini and the software you are relying on whether an update will create problems.

The biggest hurdle for me is the drop of 32-bit support after Mojave, so that's where my 2012 Mini is staying, even though I could bump it to Catalina at least. That would, unfortunately, leave me with having to replace old, unsupported Adobe and Office apps that I use occasionally, but have zero interest in paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade. (My iMac - a few years older generation is running the latest version of OS X, but that's only used for my music and some video/photo stuff.)

Look at the System Report and scour the applications that have "No" in the 64-bit column. A lot will be Apple system stuff, that will update with the OS, but if any are apps that you use, you need to figure out what moving past Mojave will cost.

p.s. Anything that like a USB mic that is "class compliant," i.e., just "plugs and plays" without needing a driver, will work across the 32-bit/64-bit update. Older hardware of any kind that has its own driver, might be another reason, besides apps, that would need some research.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD