The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-08-2021, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Default NHL Off-Season Discussion

I've enjoyed talking hockey with you guys and am not quite ready to stop. It's almost a full 9 hours since the Cup was skated, so way past time to settle next year's finals. Predictions...? I haven't looked too hard at who's a free agent, the draft, team needs. But assuming teams are going to add the piece they think they need, who you liking...?
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-08-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
I've enjoyed talking hockey with you guys and am not quite ready to stop. It's almost a full 9 hours since the Cup was skated, so way past time to settle next year's finals. Predictions...? I haven't looked too hard at who's a free agent, the draft, team needs. But assuming teams are going to add the piece they think they need, who you liking...?
Bruins in five. There. I said it. Okay, I don't know what that means. I think every team has pieces of the puzzle to fill but that is easier said than done. Tampa creates a good template for a group of players to throw together. I hear even Tampa is up against salary limitations so the team will not be able to stay intact moving on. The Bruins have some young promise mixed with some veterans that I worry about. I wish the veterans could see some glory before time takes over. Oh well. It's a fast game for younger legs and next season is up for grabs. A good and steady goaltender is always important and we work from there. Anyway, it was a fun season this past year and hockey is back better than ever. To the future! Oh, and work on the refs. They gotta pick up their game.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:50 PM

Congrats to Tampa Bay. What about Kucherov's press conference? Wow - he came off as an idiot.

Quote:
Yea, great bunch of people here in this thread. Next big things are:
  • July 17 - Teams will submit their protected players list for the Seattle Expansion Draft, except for Vegas who isn't taking part
  • July 21 - The Seattle Expansion Draft
  • July 23 - The NHL Entry Draft
Old 07-08-2021, 02:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default NHL Off-Season Discussion

The 2020-21 season thread is close to its 300 post limit, so this thread has been added. The last three posts of the other thread have been moved here (above).

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-08-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats to Tampa Bay. What about Kucherov's press conference? Wow - he came off as an idiot.

Yea, great bunch of people here in this thread. Next big things are:
  • July 17 - Teams will submit their protected players list for the Seattle Expansion Draft, except for Vegas who isn't taking part
  • July 21 - The Seattle Expansion Draft
  • July 23 - The NHL Entry Draft
Kucherov is an idiot, I wasn't happy to see Tampa win, I think there are a number of teams better than Tampa. (Just my opinion)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
The 2020-21 season thread is close to its 300 post limit, so this thread has been added. The last three posts of the other thread have been moved here (above).
Thanks for moving these posts to this thread, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Kucherov is an idiot, I wasn't happy to see Tampa win, I think there are a number of teams better than Tampa. (Just my opinion)
I wonder if Kucherov is going to back off some of his words or attitude once he sobers up.

What's the deal with Tampa Bay being over the cap ($17 M), but they weren't because it was the playoffs? Dougie Hamilton called out the Lightning when the Hurricanes lost out.

...Just looked it up, there is no cap in the playoffs and Kucherov was on long term injured reserve and didn't play in the regular season so he had no cap hit. He played in the playoffs and the Lightning didn't have to lower their cap by shedding salary.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:26 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks for moving these posts to this thread, Tom.

I wonder if Kucherov is going to back off some of his words or attitude once he sobers up.

What's the deal with Tampa Bay being over the cap ($17 M), but they weren't because it was the playoffs? Dougie Hamilton called out the Lightning when the Hurricanes lost out.

...Just looked it up, there is no cap in the playoffs and Kucherov was on long term injured reserve and didn't play in the regular season so he had no cap hit. He played in the playoffs and the Lightning didn't have to lower their cap by shedding salary.
Yeah, since the beginning of the playoffs, my youngest son had pointed out that the cap didn’t apply and how the Lightning were able to take advantage of it. He wasn’t happy about it. It does seem unfair. Oh well, it’s done.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Tampa Bay is on a roll.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yeah, since the beginning of the playoffs, my youngest son had pointed out that the cap didn’t apply and how the Lightning were able to take advantage of it. He wasn’t happy about it. It does seem unfair. Oh well, it’s done.
Yea, Bettman spoke of it a couple of weeks ago and said that no rules were skirted. Reminds me of players being suspended in the playoffs but they lose no salary. Hopefully this can be tightened up in the next CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Tampa Bay is on a roll.
Yea ... Stanley Cup Champs, Super Bowl Champs, and last year made it to the World Series (but lost).
Old 07-08-2021, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Figure Tampa will be back next year. They have a bunch of contracts to work out and stand to lose some depth (Killorn, Cirelli, Colton, maybe one of their D). If the Bruins can throw out a second line that can score a little they'll be OK. I look for a big push by Carolina and possibly Florida. As a Ranger fan I learned a long time ago to temper my expectations, despite everyone's prediction that they're back.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-09-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Figure Tampa will be back next year.
Oh yes, if by that you mean the playoffs. For sure. If you mean back in the Final, then perhaps. Definitely possible. But as someone mentioned, there are five or so teams that could also be definitely possible. I agree that it is much more difficult, now, to establish and maintain a dynasty. After all, that is what "dynasty" implies - maintaining success. In my books, 2 is not a dynasty. Certainly on the way to getting there, but not there yet. When Tampa wins 3 in a row, then we can talk dynasty. In a row.

That said, Tampa deserved the win and Montreal did give them a fight. Which is somewhat to the point: there are multiple teams that could win the Cup. Which also leads to the fact that hockey is doing well. The owners are still getting rich. The players are getting rich. While some may argue that there are stars getting rich and a large number of NHL players are paid relatively smaller paychecks compared to other sports. True, blah blah blah. Sorry, but if you are being paid, say, only $500,000 a year to do something you want to do - enjoy it.

Where was I? Right, owners rich; players rich, fans are doing OK. No REAL complaints other than the price of things that allow owners and players to get rich. The quality of hockey (considering the weirdness of covid restrictions and bubbles etc.) this year was pretty darn good. TV coverage including newer camera angles, is better.

I can not afford to go to games here (although I may try for a Kraken/Canucks match just for the heck of it), and am quite content to watch hockey from home. I doubt I will ever go to a bar to watch. So the lack of fans in the house - on the surface - was not a big deal for me. The fake crowd noises gritted a little. I was floored by my reaction to seeing and hearing that real crowd in Tampa. Wow. Normally I dislike being in a crowd, but I get that that crowd oneness could/would be exciting. It was nice to see and hear it albeit from a safe distance. It must have been incredible for the players.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:49 PM

I've been away from this thread for a couple/few days but first and foremost, I too, have really enjoyed our hockey banter, so thanks to all of you for that. Hats off to Tampa, of course, richly deserved. I think, under all the last years circumstances, the NHL nailed it and I have to give most credit to Bettman. I know that commissioners are typically hated, but I believe he's been the best of all the sports since he took the reins.

I agree that 2 in a row doesn't make a dynasty. I'll also concede that it is one, if they win a third (in a row). IMO, repeating a hockey championship is the hardest in sports.

Lastly, it's fairly obvious that the NY Islanders will raise the cup next year!
Old 07-09-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Figure Tampa will be back next year. They have a bunch of contracts to work out and stand to lose some depth (Killorn, Cirelli, Colton, maybe one of their D). If the Bruins can throw out a second line that can score a little they'll be OK. I look for a big push by Carolina and possibly Florida. As a Ranger fan I learned a long time ago to temper my expectations, despite everyone's prediction that they're back.
The Rangers ... Gerrard Gallant is going to be an excellent hire. It'll be interesting to see if Fox can build on his Norris win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I've been away from this thread for a couple/few days but first and foremost, I too, have really enjoyed our hockey banter, so thanks to all of you for that. Hats off to Tampa, of course, richly deserved. I think, under all the last years circumstances, the NHL nailed it and I have to give most credit to Bettman. I know that commissioners are typically hated, but I believe he's been the best of all the sports since he took the reins.

I agree that 2 in a row doesn't make a dynasty. I'll also concede that it is one, if they win a third (in a row). IMO, repeating a hockey championship is the hardest in sports.

Larry - we missed you. Yes, credit to Bettman for a bunch of things including the past 1.5 seasons and revenue increases over his tenure too. He made some significant mistakes when he let Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford move in the middle of the night though. Terrible. And then keeping the Coyotes in Arizona year after year while the NHL kept them afloat.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post

It could very well be the Islanders. They didn't miss by much this year. They're relentless, wear you down, have that D, a great coach, a star in Barzal and another on the way in Beauvillier. And a new building that's gonna be just rabid. They have a fourth line that can dominate a game -though they stand to lose Cizikas - and they'll get back Anders Lee. Terrifies me
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-09-2021, 07:39 PM

I would be happy seeing the Penguins make it past the first round of the playoffs. Everything else is gravy.

I’d also like to see Fleury in the black and gold. Lord knows we need a goalie.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic