The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Pickups etc. for Warmoth build

I think I’ve decided I want to build a Warmoth jazzmaster with a wide nut for fingerpicking, but will also be flat picking. So I’m thinking single coils in the neck and middle for a rich clean tone, then a humbucker in the bridge position. I’ll be playing solo and clean a lot, so a nice full strat like tone would be good (for the single coils I mean). Suggestions on which specific pickups to go for?

Also think I’d like a trem. Don’t want a Floyd, so should I go for a strat or jazzmaster style? Not so familiar with jazzmaster bridges.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:05 PM

Harmonic Design Z 90s.

Large single coil pickups can have a wider tonal range than humbuckers and many players prefer the "spank", or wider dynamic range of single coils. Our Z-90 is the Original humbucker-size single coil pickup, and will drop right into your stock humbucker routing and mounting rings, with no modifications to the guitar.

"I had the Z-90 installed just days before I recorded 'Good Dog, Happy Man', and got sucked into its big, full sound. I wound up using it on every song." - Bill Frisell
The Z-90 matched set uses two completely different pickups for the neck and bridge positions. The oversize pole pieces provide a higher output and richer bass response, and allow for string bending without loss of output. The neck pickup uses an oversize magnet structure to tighten up the fat bass response. The bridge pickup uses a special bobbin and winding technique to allow 30% more turns to balance the neck pickup with an even hotter output, and give you a huge, fat sound with incredible range, punch, and clarity.
Introduced in 1994, Z-90 pickups continue to generate rave reviews from guitar magazines and pro players everywhere.

z-90 group
'Open' sound. Big, expressive tone that you can adjust from 'smokey' to 'crisp' by changing the height adjustment. Z-90’s drop right into standard mounting rings to allow height adjustment and easy retro-fitting to any humbucker type guitar. The Z-90's oversized pole pieces will accommodate both Gibson and Fender string spacing and just about anything else in the neighborhood. So replace them pesky humbuckers with the ULTIMATE single coil
Old 07-02-2021, 07:16 AM

Don't overlook jazzmaster pickups. They make for a beautiful clean tone. I like Lollars, but the Novak's seems to get a lot of love.

The best jazzmaster trem and bridge IMHO is the Mastry. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Harmonic Design Z 90s.

Large single coil pickups can have a wider tonal range than humbuckers and many players prefer the "spank", or wider dynamic range of single coils. Our Z-90 is the Original humbucker-size single coil pickup, and will drop right into your stock humbucker routing and mounting rings, with no modifications to the guitar.

"I had the Z-90 installed just days before I recorded 'Good Dog, Happy Man', and got sucked into its big, full sound. I wound up using it on every song." - Bill Frisell
The Z-90 matched set uses two completely different pickups for the neck and bridge positions. The oversize pole pieces provide a higher output and richer bass response, and allow for string bending without loss of output. The neck pickup uses an oversize magnet structure to tighten up the fat bass response. The bridge pickup uses a special bobbin and winding technique to allow 30% more turns to balance the neck pickup with an even hotter output, and give you a huge, fat sound with incredible range, punch, and clarity.
Introduced in 1994, Z-90 pickups continue to generate rave reviews from guitar magazines and pro players everywhere.

z-90 group
'Open' sound. Big, expressive tone that you can adjust from 'smokey' to 'crisp' by changing the height adjustment. Z-90’s drop right into standard mounting rings to allow height adjustment and easy retro-fitting to any humbucker type guitar. The Z-90's oversized pole pieces will accommodate both Gibson and Fender string spacing and just about anything else in the neighborhood. So replace them pesky humbuckers with the ULTIMATE single coil
…I’ve used Z-90’s in the past and love em but they’re humbucker size…I think the OP is looking for standard sized single coils for the neck and middle position….I could be wrong but if I am fitting three full size humbuckers in a jazzmaster might be a little crowded….but it is doable…plus I don’t think you’ll get any strat tones out of it…

My favorite single coils are made by Budz…. https://www.budzguitars.com/ …I have no clear favorite for humbuckers…but I prefer a PAF style humbucker….I tend to prefer modern 2 point strat trems

Last edited by J Patrick; 07-02-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:29 AM

I have a friend who put the Z90s in his Jazzmaster.
Scott Peterson of HD recommended them for my JM.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I have a friend who put the Z90s in his Jazzmaster.
Scott Peterson of HD recommended them for my JM.
…don’t get me wrong…I’m a big fan of HD pickups…I’ve had more than 50 percent of their offerings and personally think a pair of Z-90’s would kill in a Jazzmaster….I put mine in an early 70’s SG and they were awesome….it’s the Stratocaster tone that the OP is looking for that I think they might not deliver….
Old 07-02-2021, 10:25 AM

I’ve never seen a Jazzmaster with a HSS pick up configuration, except maybe in Fenders alternate universe models. Is that what you are trying to replicate?

If you decide to go more traditional, Lindy Fralin makes an exceptional set of noiseless Jazzmaster single coils. A little pricey, but you get Crystal Clean to Scruffy Grind. All without the 60 cycle hum. Good luck with your build and be sure to post pix of the finished product!
Old 07-02-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I'm obviously not too knowledgeable about pickup options. And havent played a Jazzmaster in a while; the original inspiration for a build was loving the sound of my Strat but not really getting along with the narrow nut. This will have a 1.75" nut. I'm actually more looking for that Strat sound than a Jazzmaster sound - just thought I would go with the JM body as I've always liked the looks and it's available as a semi-hollow from Warmoth - even better. Now I guess I'm kind of trying to put in every item from my wishlist and go for max versatility - hence the idea of two single coils plus a humbucker in the bridge spot.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Are the Seymour Duncans offered by Warmoth considered to be any good?
Old 07-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Are the Seymour Duncans offered by Warmoth considered to be any good?
As long as they are "Seymour Duncan" and not "Duncan Designed" you'd be getting the same US made Seymour Duncan pickups you would get at any retailer. I recommend Seymour Duncans - fantastic pickups and not overpriced (unless you go with antiquities or something like that).

Check out the SD "pickup finder". You can walk though your guitar, what you want, and it will recommend some pickups. Just make sure you get something that will fit your string spacing.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/resour...-pickup-finder
Old 07-02-2021, 02:26 PM

Do yourself a favor and check out Bootstrap pickups. Exceptional materials, build quality and tone. Top notch service too. Best of all, they are priced stupid cheap. I've used the strat and tele pups, but have heard great things about his other pickups.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Do yourself a favor and check out Bootstrap pickups. Exceptional materials, build quality and tone. Top notch service too. Best of all, they are priced stupid cheap. I've used the strat and tele pups, but have heard great things about his other pickups.
I've never heard of Bootstrap pickups before but I just checked out their website. If I was in the US I might checkout one of their $40 humbuckers.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
As long as they are "Seymour Duncan" and not "Duncan Designed" you'd be getting the same US made Seymour Duncan pickups you would get at any retailer. I recommend Seymour Duncans - fantastic pickups and not overpriced (unless you go with antiquities or something like that).

Check out the SD "pickup finder". You can walk though your guitar, what you want, and it will recommend some pickups. Just make sure you get something that will fit your string spacing.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/resour...-pickup-finder
Looked at the pickup finder tool- thanks. I hadn’t stopped to consider string spacing. I was hoping for something nice and spacious to go along with the 1.75” nut - ideally 2 and 3/16”. Looks like vintage Fender spec was 2 and 7/32”, which would work great, but then is it possible to find a bridge and pickups that meet that? My Eastman electric has 2 and 1/8” spacing, which I can live with for string spacing, if that will enable me to find the hardware I need.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Ok, just realized that Warmoth lists bridge specs. I could go with a vintage strat trem at 2 7/32” or a jazzmaster at 2 3/16”. Is either to be preferred ? Maybe different tuning stability? Still wondering about finding pickups that will line up with the wide spacing as well.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Ok, just realized that Warmoth lists bridge specs. I could go with a vintage strat trem at 2 7/32” or a jazzmaster at 2 3/16”. Is either to be preferred ? Maybe different tuning stability? Still wondering about finding pickups that will line up with the wide spacing as well.
If you’re going with a strat style tremolo the modern 2 point tremolo is superior to the vintage 6 hole imho……smoother action and better stability based on my experiences…but if you’re looking for wider spacing the vintage 6 hole is the way to go…plus they’re less expensive….going with a Callaham might be a worthy upgrade…

http://www.callahamguitars.com/strat...ge_catalog.htm

Last edited by J Patrick; 07-02-2021 at 05:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars