The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Not cheap, but a properly configured UltraTonic is a pretty incredible pickup -
Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 PM

I have an OF420B, and contrary to Methos1979 observations, mine sounds just fine plugged or unplugged. Who knows, maybe tone is in the burst?!
Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd be concerned about any triple transducer installation that recommends between 1-2, 3-4, and 4-5.
That has to be a typo on Journey's part, I would think. They need to make absolutely sure the instructions are correct, because we're talking superglue here.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 PM

The differences from K&K that I notice are:

1. 15mm disc versus 12.5mm for K&K. Will change the tone and output.
2. Quality of the endpin jack. Appears to be pot metal Chinese budget jack versus high quality Fishman jack. There is no shielding cover on the jack.
Longevity/noise would be the concern.

So, if you have an inexpensive instrument that does not warrant a $100 pickup investment, this might be a good option.

However, JJB also makes a 15mm sensor with a higher quality jack for $50.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:07 PM

My Journey pickup came in this week and I installed it this morning. My first impressions are very favorable.

Guitar: Fender CT-60S, a travel-size acoustic with solid sitka top and laminated mahogany back & sides. A fun little player.

Installation was not exactly a breeze, but purely because of the ratio between my forearm and the soundhole.

When I tested it through my trusty ol' Line 6 GuitarPort, playback sounded very, very good to my ear.

I'll record some clips and post them this afternoon.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
My Journey pickup came in this week and I installed it this morning. My first impressions are very favorable.

Guitar: Fender CT-60S, a travel-size acoustic with solid sitka top and laminated mahogany back & sides. A fun little player.

Installation was not exactly a breeze, but purely because of the ratio between my forearm and the soundhole.

When I tested it through my trusty ol' Line 6 GuitarPort, playback sounded very, very good to my ear.

I'll record some clips and post them this afternoon.
Thanks for the review and I am glad you are pleased with it. I liked the sound samples I heard and it has me curious. I know you wondered about the install instructions stating position 4&5 instead of 5&6. Did you get clarification from Journey and what position did you install that one sensor on?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 PM

They corrected that on the website. Place 'em like a K&K, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6.

Here's a soundcloud link of me testing it out.

I run through some strumming and fingerpicking.

First time through is the guitar straight into the interface, and straight into Mixcraft, no EQ, no reverb, no sweetening of any kind. Second time through is the same file with a bit of compression, EQ, and a tiny hint of reverb, just to see how tough it is to get a good recorded tone out of it. (spoiler alert: really easy.)

Bear in mind that this is in a travel guitar.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM

First take was ok but that second take with some EQ was very sweet, really nice tone anyone would be happy with. The fact it is from an inexpensive travel guitar is very impressive.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
First take was ok but that second take with some EQ was very sweet, really nice tone anyone would be happy with. The fact it is from an inexpensive travel guitar is very impressive.
I agree. Straight into the interface without any EQ was just okay, but with a little EQ and compression it's very realistic and microphone-like. Just outstanding.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 PM

Just for grins I looked inside my Journey OF660 to see how its pickup was installed. It is 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 with the middle piezo slightly off-center towards the 3rd string.

I like how it sounds on my OF660 with a Beringer ADI21 and am thinking of buying a couple of them to install on two of my cheaper guitars, a Japanese Martin D28 clone (a "Nashville") from 1975 and a Loar LH-200.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
They corrected that on the website. Place 'em like a K&K, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6.

Here's a soundcloud link of me testing it out.

I run through some strumming and fingerpicking.

First time through is the guitar straight into the interface, and straight into Mixcraft, no EQ, no reverb, no sweetening of any kind. Second time through is the same file with a bit of compression, EQ, and a tiny hint of reverb, just to see how tough it is to get a good recorded tone out of it. (spoiler alert: really easy.)

Bear in mind that this is in a travel guitar.
Thanks for the audio sample. It definitely sounds decent, better than most UST pickups. It might be a good choice for cheaper guitars.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
it never ceases to amaze me that some of us are willing to spend thousands on guitars, then spend hours searching for a way to save $100 on a pickup. YMMV, just my opinion, subjective perspective, etc.
Did you even stop to consider that someone interested in saving $100 on a pickup might also have actually spent far less than "thousands" on a guitar? Didn't think so. OK, think again. Ah, that wasn't so hard, was it?
Old 08-03-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1 View Post
Did you even stop to consider that someone interested in saving $100 on a pickup might also have actually spent far less than "thousands" on a guitar? Didn't think so. OK, think again. Ah, that wasn't so hard, was it?
To be fair, his comment wasn't really about cheap guitars. He said that he can't believe that people pay thousands on a guitar and then try to save on a pickup. Your point is valid but doesn't really apply. Also, most demos I see online of this pickup are from players who have expensive instruments so they are indeed trying to save. I agree though, why buy a K&K knockoff when you could spend a bit more and support a trusted and respected brand?
Old 08-03-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1 View Post
Did you even stop to consider that you were responding (agressively) to a two year old thread?

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Did you even stop to consider that you were responding (agressively) to a two year old thread?
Kinda like your wife yelling "and another thing!" two days after the fight.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification