The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2021, 05:17 PM

It all becomes clear with some Artisan Guitars videos.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5-k...index=15&t=38s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l8S...I_dpU&index=38

BluesKing777.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVB View Post
I thought Matons are made from maple?
Maton uses “Queensland Maple” and “Blackwood” as their primary back and sides options. Queensland Maple is not a true maple and I believe it is in the citrus family.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Don’t know what TE uses but…

Seymore Duncan Wave length Duo is a great setup.
Under saddle pickup and internal mic.
The Duo has a switch that can convert it to stereo.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
It all becomes clear with some Artisan Guitars videos.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5-k...index=15&t=38s

Man, is that guy annoying.

Good demo tho.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 08-11-2021, 09:05 AM

I just got a Maton EGB808te. I find that the mic us not very loud by itself. It is not meant to be the main sound source, but to bring in some air and body sound in addition to the UST. It sounds thin by itself, as it only reproduces frequencies over 1K hz.
But it sounds great in addition to the already great sounding UST. The UST feels much more responsive and natural (the feel) than the Fishman and Baggs UST I have played.
Tommy usually plays mic and piezo full up. And on Somewhere over the rainbow, only the piezo.
The system does sound really great to my ears!
Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOCarroll View Post
I just got a Maton EGB808te. I find that the mic us not very loud by itself. It is not meant to be the main sound source, but to bring in some air and body sound in addition to the UST. It sounds thin by itself, as it only reproduces frequencies over 1K hz.
But it sounds great in addition to the already great sounding UST. The UST feels much more responsive and natural (the feel) than the Fishman and Baggs UST I have played.
Tommy usually plays mic and piezo full up. And on Somewhere over the rainbow, only the piezo.
The system does sound really great to my ears!

Congrats on the Maton full road warrior Maton EGB808te!

The Better Half is working from home on the kitchen table because of Covid - many, many, many video conference calls - did I say many? Blah!

If it coincides with my practice time, I shut my music room door and all doors between, I plug in one of the Maton 808s to my preamp/DI and 4 channel mixer to my Sennheisers or Shure in-ear monitors and turn the pickup up to TE style - everything on FULL. Sounds sensational and makes it GREAT to play with that feel. Ultimate acoustic pickup.....yep.

Of course, this setting will scream like a Banshee in an amp!!!!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-12-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
and turn the pickup up to TE style - everything on FULL. Sounds sensational and makes it GREAT to play with that feel. Ultimate acoustic pickup.....yep.

Of course, this setting will scream like a Banshee in an amp!!!!

BluesKing777.
But... I've seen rig rundowns where TE states that he does run his guitar full open... but he also uses an AER on stage as a personal monitor....?

(I'm with you on the wife working from home every single day... ugh! I'm glad she's not commuting any more, but yes all the video conference calls definitely can put a hitch in playing at home!)
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 08-13-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
He was responding to someone's question about his system on stage during the performance. At this point, I don't think it's any big secret as to what gear he actually uses. I feel certain he could make any installed pickup and microphone combination sound good. Everyone has their preferences including him.
For a while, Radio Shack sold a rebranded Crown PZM that sounded quite good in lots of little applications. For the right timeline, I can easily imagine TE using that mike.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:34 AM

I'm pretty sure, that pickups in Tommy's Matons are moodified or as you wish "custom" versions of AP5 Pro pickup that come with higher level Matons (like EBG808 TE).
When you use mic only setup, sound will be thin, with all the bass rolled off - that was done to prevent feedback, just add "air" to the piezo PU.
I think his pickup is more like improved APMic, where mic had mucj fuller sound
Old 08-16-2021, 09:33 AM

Yes, tandy used to sell a pzm for 45 dollars that I have seen used in piano recirdings...and the piano is as hard as you can get to record. Sometimes, we would use a couple of mics over the soundboard and a pzm pointing into a corner of the room, away from the piano.
Nick
Old 08-16-2021, 10:46 AM

I find Laurence Juber's sound is very similar to the one that Tommy gets. He is using the Seymour Duncan Wavelength and an internal Audix mic. I might be wrong on the brand of mic but it's a fairly straightforward set up, considering the fact that the Wavelength preamp has a spot for a second pickup.

I have a Wavelength arriving today and will be installing it so I can report back.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:51 PM

The internal mic and a blender is the goods for other guitars, but it is just easy to take the Maton of choice!

Too bad anyway, Maton have been in Covid lockdown and there are no guitars left - got mine!

Just plug it in and get a fantastic sound...easy - I rarely adjust anything once I find the sweet spot. (and I have lots of the other gear I have tried over the years - LOTS!!!).

BluesKing777.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
The internal mic and a blender is the goods for other guitars, but it is just easy to take the Maton of choice!

Too bad anyway, Maton have been in Covid lockdown and there are no guitars left - got mine!

Just plug it in and get a fantastic sound...easy - I rarely adjust anything once I find the sweet spot. (and I have lots of the other gear I have tried over the years - LOTS!!!).

BluesKing777.
I think for me it comes down to stage guitar vs. a good guitar with my own pickup. Just like Takamine, Maton guitars lack something acoustically. I have often thought about getting a Takamine, Maton or Cole Clark, but I just can't bring myself to get a stage guitar. I always want a great acoustic first. Also, I know Maton gets a lot of love here but let's not forget Takamine who started these pickups. I don't believe they have internal mics yet but their palathetic pickup is still awesome.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think for me it comes down to stage guitar vs. a good guitar with my own pickup. Just like Takamine, Maton guitars lack something acoustically. I have often thought about getting a Takamine, Maton or Cole Clark, but I just can't bring myself to get a stage guitar. I always want a great acoustic first. Also, I know Maton gets a lot of love here but let's not forget Takamine who started these pickups. I don't believe they have internal mics yet but their palathetic pickup is still awesome.

The Maton mic is the key - I don't like the pickup sound with no mic ...

Designed for the whole package, I have 4 Maton 808s of different timbers and I like all of them acoustically.

Plug them in and the whole kit and kaboodle comes ALIVE.

It all works together, well, mine do. Easy. All controls at fingertips.

I also have other great acoustics and have the K&K Trinity system in various forms and I do love the sound, but...always a but....would I carry all that stuff around? Nope, just grab a Maton 808.

Like the other fella, TE!

P.S. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when TE told the fully inflexible and non budging Maton corp that they needed a better pickup with mic and preamp and to scallop the braces and make thinner guitars to ring out!!!!!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-16-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The Maton mic is the key - I don't like the pickup sound with no mic ...

Designed for the whole package, I have 4 Maton 808s of different timbers and I like all of them acoustically.

Plug them in and the whole kit and kaboodle comes ALIVE.

It all works together, well, mine do. Easy. All controls at fingertips.

I also have other great acoustics and have the K&K Trinity system in various forms and I do love the sound, but...always a but....would I carry all that stuff around? Nope, just grab a Maton 808.

Like the other fella, TE!

P.S. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when TE told the fully inflexible and non budging Maton corp that they needed a better pickup with mic and preamp and to scallop the braces and make thinner guitars to ring out!!!!!

BluesKing777.
It does make a lot of sense. One of my favourite bands here in Canada, Great Big Sea, have been using Takamine guitars since the early 90's. They play energetic celtic music and really hit the strings hard. They put out a live album in 1999 and I still think it's some of the best plugged in tones that I have ever heard.

If I could find a Maton for a good price, I would probably be tempted. There's something to be said about "plug and play."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification