The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Nano tape for picks

Has anyone tried putting some nano tape on their guitar and then sticking a pick to the tap? The nano tapes are said to be removable without leaving a residue. If yes, what brand should be considered?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:52 AM

Never heard of nano tape and I'm assuming that "tap" is a typo for top?
You wouldn't won't to tape anything to a guitar top but if you are asking about having extra picks close at, you could do as Pat Metheny in the attached image.

https://images.app.goo.gl/nTRqBtVDLPy1jkuZ6
Old 08-04-2021, 12:04 PM

I haven't heard of it before. But the ad I just watched (Amazon) said not to apply it to anything 'delicate'.

I wish it was thinner. I put double-sided tape on my picks to make them easier to hold, but the double-sided tape I'm using turns gummy when it's warm. This nano tape is about .08" thick, which is thicker than what I'd want on my picks.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 08-04-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't really understand why anyone would want to stick a pick to a guitar, sorry.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

One of my musical friends, one-half of a successful folk-duo, uses a small blob of Blu-Tack on his pick, which acts to stick it to his guitar when he’s finger-picking and helps his grip when he’s using it to strum. Seems to work very well and, being only temporary, it doesn’t harm the finish.

Personally, I wouldn’t stick any kind of tape to a guitar long-term, for fear of damage to the guitar’s finish.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-04-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Pick holder.jpg

For illustrative purposes only. I don't usually have reason to attach picks to my guitar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 08-04-2021, 03:00 PM

You could also check out thalia’s pick pucks. But if you want one of those you’d have to act fast I heard they are going to discontinue them.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I don't really understand why anyone would want to stick a pick to a guitar, sorry.
Agreed! Don't you have a shirt pocket?
Old 08-04-2021, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the recommendations - yes, I meant "top". I agree with everyone to be very careful with a precious guitar!
1. Love the rubber band
2. For the Pat Metheny video (https://images.app.goo.gl/nTRqBtVDLPy1jkuZ6) - what is he using?
3. I could not find any Pick Pucks on the website without the pickup. However, what is the material that is used to stick it on the guitar? Is that some form of tape?
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Attachment 60283

For illustrative purposes only. I don't usually have reason to attach picks to my guitar.
Reminds me of the old pocket protectors that were so fashionable in the 70's.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrin View Post
Thanks for the recommendations - yes, I meant "top". I agree with everyone to be very careful with a precious guitar!
1. Love the rubber band
2. For the Pat Metheny video (https://images.app.goo.gl/nTRqBtVDLPy1jkuZ6) - what is he using?
3. I could not find any Pick Pucks on the website without the pickup. However, what is the material that is used to stick it on the guitar? Is that some form of tape?
Thanks!
Don't know exactly but I would try a roll of blue painter's tape. It will say "low tack" on the packaging. Pat wouldn't care a bit about the finish on the side of any guitar. The low tack stuff will not be an issue but to be safe don't leave it on when not playing.
You didn't say why you need extra picks. Metheny will very frequently switch from pick to fingerstyle, and when he does he chucks the pick and grabs another when he switches again. If you need extras because you're accidentally dropping them(?) then you need to correct that flaw in technique rather than feed the problem with more picks.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I never could understand sticking anything to a guitar.

But people do it all the time.

To each his/her own.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:00 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrin View Post
Has anyone tried putting some nano tape on their guitar and then sticking a pick to the tap? The nano tapes are said to be removable without leaving a residue. If yes, what brand should be considered?
Hi Mbrin, and welcome to the forums!

I use Velcro on Vicente, my Dred-gigger. It makes for lightening fast changes to/from flatpicks, especially when you play in da band and need to switch from fingerpicking to strumming or vicey-versey during a song. Don't let the "I would NEVER tape a pick to one of MY guitars!!!!" party-poopers bug you. It's as practical as heck, and your band-mates don't stare when you miss that first strum .

Former AGF Moderator
Old 08-05-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinweasel View Post
You could also check out thalia’s pick pucks. But if you want one of those you’d have to act fast I heard they are going to discontinue them.
I have one and love it.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:23 PM

I just checked the material in Thalia's Pick Pucks. Here is a quote from the website - it appears to be the same as the nano tape: "Each Pick Puck attaches with a special micro-suction pad modeled after a Gecko's foot. This is NOT AN ADHESIVE. Instead, the pad surface has thousands of microscopic air pockets that create partial vacuums between the puck and the target surface. "

See: https://www.thaliacapos.com/products...ck-puck-pickup

Here is the info on Nano Tape which is based on the same principle as a Gecko's foot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nano_tape.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion