The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-05-2021, 03:29 PM

Well I reached out to the builder and he was very apologetic. He’s offered to do it right - remove the neck and and wholesale reshape to what I specified. I’ve decided I won’t ship it back for the repair until the conditions are better in his area for finish curing. Still - a very disappointing situation.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb83 View Post
Well I reached out to the builder and he was very apologetic. He’s offered to do it right - remove the neck and and wholesale reshape to what I specified. I’ve decided I won’t ship it back for the repair until the conditions are better in his area for finish curing. Still - a very disappointing situation.
Those kinds of things happen. I’d say the situation is great. You have a understanding builder who is willing to make things the way you specified. He made a mistake. No big deal.

He could have argued with you and insisted he’s right. That kind of thing happens, too. And believe me, THAT is far more disappointing.

Last edited by justonwo; 08-05-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Those kinds of things happen. I’d say the situation is great. You have a understanding builder who is willing to make things the way you specified. He made a mistake. No big deal.

He could have argued with you and insisted he’s right. That kind of thing happens, too. And believe me, THAT is far more disappointing.
I totally agree with this. The builder responded appropriately and sincerely. He’ll fix it and you’ll have the guitar you wanted. Maybe the wait is disappointing, but the overall end result is (or should) terrific.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-06-2021, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb83 View Post
I can imagine your disappointment, jb. But take comfort in the attitude and reaction of your luthier. If you love everything about the guitar except the neck, it's just a matter of time before you'll love everything about the guitar, period.

A few years back, I had to ship a guitar from Paris to California so the builder could do a complete refinish at no cost to me. I didn't get it back until nine months later, but boy was it worth the wait!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-06-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
But take comfort in the attitude and reaction of your luthier.
Very much this. We all make mistakes, but most important s how we deal with them and seek to out it right. This suggests your builder takes pride in what they do and wants the best for their customers.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
Very much this. We all make mistakes, but most important s how we deal with them and seek to out it right. This suggests your builder takes pride in what they do and wants the best for their customers.
It's a good news story in that regard, and excellent customer service like that is essential maintaining a good reputation and a thriving business.

I always feel terrible about seeing small businesses like one-person luthier shops have to take this stuff on the chin, though. Re-work will eat up any income the luthier made from the original commission. I had a situation where a custom bike (by a 2-person business) needed a lot of re-work due to tiny mistake. I needed the bike fixed, but felt just awful about placing the financial burden on them. They're not getting rich of this business, but they made it right, and the bike has been brilliant. I ended up placing an order for another bike from them years later, though.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:07 PM

I was thinking about this some more. If it was me, I'd let the builder know that I was prepared to try the guitar for an extended period (6 months to a year) and then, if I still wanted the narrower nut, I'd ship it back. After that period, the pieces of wood have relaxed, moisture-adjusted, whatever, and actually become a guitar. Then, when the builder does the neck modifications and re-attaches it, the whole guitar will be more stable and coherent. It's next neck re-set may then be decades away.

Disclaimer: I have a number of guitars, from a 12-string all the way through to a Telecaster. Varied nut widths are something I adapt to on almost a daily basis. You may well be different, be super-sensitive to nut-widths and my advice is useless. Go your own way.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:21 AM

I think you were correct in asking that it be corrected. It would have always bothered you. Glad you have a resolution in the works.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkyplayer View Post
I was thinking about this some more. If it was me, I'd let the builder know that I was prepared to try the guitar for an extended period (6 months to a year) and then, if I still wanted the narrower nut, I'd ship it back. After that period, the pieces of wood have relaxed, moisture-adjusted, whatever, and actually become a guitar. Then, when the builder does the neck modifications and re-attaches it, the whole guitar will be more stable and coherent. It's next neck re-set may then be decades away.

Disclaimer: I have a number of guitars, from a 12-string all the way through to a Telecaster. Varied nut widths are something I adapt to on almost a daily basis. You may well be different, be super-sensitive to nut-widths and my advice is useless. Go your own way.
Winkyplayer be one wise winkyplayer.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-08-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkyplayer View Post

This is great post. I am in the same boat.. have Rickenbackers with skinny necks, and all my guitars are different and we adapt. However, I guess in this case the OP went for a custom build because they wanted a specific spec? But I also understand the issues for luthier re not getting rich.. its not a deliberate thing, but shows how important customer relationships are... I would see this as an opportunity to get to know the builder better, by discussing this and agreeing a mutually beneficial way forward.

I would also agree that its important to actually play it a while, rather than worrying about 1mm at the nut...?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop