The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2021, 10:59 AM

Default School me on Martin D-1 first generation, please

Hi

After getting my Martin X1-DE a few months ago I like everything about it ... except the fact that it has the standard 1 3/4-inch nut width and I prefer the slimmer nut.

Locally (well about an hour-plus drive away) I found a listing for a Martin D model but the pics show it to be a D-1 and the serial number shows it to have been made in 1992. My understanding is that the first version of the D-1 was introduced in 1993 so I imagine this is one of the first set.

Reading online I find that the original D-1 had
Solid spruce top
Solid mahogany back
Laminated mahogany side
A thinner 1 11/16-inch nut width.

Am I right? I'm guessing the laminated sides helped to keep the price down a bit as I think they were sold at $999 or so

I don't know if I can mention prices here but the seller has dropped the price 30 percent after being listed for six weeks. It comes with an OHSC.

The seller says there is no damage to it and he or she just wants to downsize. The seller says offers will be considered.

Any thoughts or other info? I really would like something with solid back and sides but this seems a close compromise. I am also concerned about a private sale on buying a 28-year-old guitar. If the guitar was near by I'd have my luthier buddy take a look at it for me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post

Locally (well about an hour-plus drive away) I found a listing for a Martin D model but the pics show it to be a D-1 and the serial number shows it to have been made in 1992. My understanding is that the first version of the D-1 was introduced in 1993 so I imagine this is one of the first set.

Reading online I find that the original D-1 had
Solid spruce top
Solid mahogany back
Laminated mahogany side
A thinner 1 11/16-inch nut width.

Am I right? I'm guessing the laminated sides helped to keep the price down a bit as I think they were sold at $999 or so

I don't know if I can mention prices here but the seller has dropped the price 30 percent after being listed for six weeks. It comes with an OHSC.

The seller says there is no damage to it and he or she just wants to downsize. The seller says offers will be considered.

Any thoughts or other info? I really would like something with solid back and sides but this seems a close compromise. I am also concerned about a private sale on buying a 28-year-old guitar. If the guitar was near by I'd have my luthier buddy take a look at it for me.
Hi Ralph, you are correct with these specs:
Solid spruce top
Solid mahogany back
Laminated mahogany side.
I have a 1997 000-1 with these same specs as the D-1 regarding the wood. Mine has the 1 11/16 nut. I'm not sure about the dread version's nut. They also made a rosewood version but the back and sides were laminated.
This older 1 series are great sounding guitars and I really love mine.
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-05-2021, 12:47 PM

The D-1 was the first Martin with mortise-and-tenon neck joint and ‘A-frame’ modified X bracing.

Although introduced in 1993, Martins records state that 96 were manufactured in 1992 (presumably ready for the launch).
Old 08-05-2021, 02:33 PM

Hi Ralph,
I found a D1 a few weeks ago for sub $600 and it is in fantastic condition.
This one is a '93 per the serial number, it has 1 11/16" nut and 2 1/8" spread at the bridge. Solid sitka top with aged toner, solid Honduran mahogany back with laminated sides.

The neck is solid mahogany (no stratabond on this vintage) with mlo profile, also a rosewood board and bridge.

I'm very impressed with the playability, tone and projection.
Never thought I would find a Nazareth built Martin as nice as this for such a low price.

Last edited by MinTac; 08-05-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ralph,

I have been playing a friends D-1 this last few days. I don't know what year it is from but it is a nice instrument. It sounds like a..... Well, a Martin dread! It seems to have survived a good few years of camping trips and general abuse.

I have another friend with a 000-1 and again it's a sound instrument even after years of hanging on the wall of a stone cottage summer and winter.

I personally think that the laminate sides were a good call for these guitars and perhaps, with the neck joint, add some stability without taking much away from the tone.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:12 PM

One more thing regarding the D1. Of the two guitars I own that have 1 11/16" nut widths, the other being an IBG Epiphone Hummingbird, there is a definite difference in the string spread at the nut.

The D1 has a 37mm spread at the nut while the Hummingbird is about 35.5mm. The difference is noticeable and I prefer the Martin in that regard but the Hummingbird does have a somewhat thicker c shaped neck profile so it's kind of a wash.

Last edited by MinTac; 08-05-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinTac View Post
Hi Ralph,
I found a D1 a few weeks ago for sub $600 and it is in fantastic condition.
This one is a '93 per the serial number, it has 1 11/16" nut and 2 1/8" spread at the bridge. Solid sitka top with aged toner, solid Honduran mahogany back with laminated sides.

The neck is solid mahogany (no stratabond on this vintage) with mlo profile, also a rosewood board and bridge.

I'm very impressed with the playability, tone and projection.
Never thought I would find a Nazareth built Martin as nice as this for such a low price.
The one I'm looking at, even with the big drop in price, is still more than that but with the case it is somewhat similar in price.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion