The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2021, 10:32 AM

Default Acoustic Fly Rig advice needed

In order to minimize equipment and still have the ability to set up in a\the small spaces usually allotted to us, my four-piece jug band plugs out 4 mics into a small powered JBL EON unit and our instruments into a mixer which is plugged into an open channel on the amp. I plug my acoustic guitar into the Sansamp Acoustic Fly RIG. There are EQ and reverb controls on the JBL, on the mixer, and on the Fly Rig. I want to use the EQ and Reverb (and compression and slapback) on the Fly Rig and not on the EON or mixer. I would like guidance on how to set both the EON and mixer to not color the sound of my guitar/Fly Rig combo. Do I set all knobs to 0? Do I set them to 12 o'clock? I thank you in advance - Gary
Old 08-05-2021, 02:01 PM

Not sure I get what you are trying to do but how about running everything through a mixer and then run that through the speaker.
This will allow each mic and guitar to have it's own effects.
You can still use the Fly on your guitar before it goes through the speaker.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPCohen View Post
In order to minimize equipment and still have the ability to set up in a\the small spaces usually allotted to us, my four-piece jug band plugs out 4 mics into a small powered JBL EON unit and our instruments into a mixer which is plugged into an open channel on the amp. I plug my acoustic guitar into the Sansamp Acoustic Fly RIG. There are EQ and reverb controls on the JBL, on the mixer, and on the Fly Rig. I want to use the EQ and Reverb (and compression and slapback) on the Fly Rig and not on the EON or mixer. I would like guidance on how to set both the EON and mixer to not color the sound of my guitar/Fly Rig combo. Do I set all knobs to 0? Do I set them to 12 o'clock? I thank you in advance - Gary
Had a feeling I didn't explain myself clearly. Let me phrase it this way, on a mixer or an amp, are tone controls "shut off" when the knob is all the way left or at 12 o'clock"?
Old 08-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Had a feeling I didn't explain myself clearly. Let me phrase it this way, on a mixer or an amp, are tone controls "shut off" when the knob is all the way left or at 12 o'clock"?
Hi Gary

You need to set them to 'flat'. The manual/instructions should indicate that somewhere.

Most mixers have 'flat' in the center, and the EQ is additive going clockwise from the center (detent or marked), and subtractive if you turn them counter-clock-wise from center.

The JBL EONs (if I recall) had versions with a 'flat' setting marked, and I'm not familiar with the modern one with bluetooth connection (which I assume would let you set things flat from the phone/tablet).

I seem to remember there may have been a complete 'bypass' input on an EON I was using once which circumvented the knobs, and just treated it like a powered amp.

The Acoustic FLY Rig has tone controls with a downward pointing arrow for the center (assumed flat) position. Set them to the centered arrow. It has other settings which I'm assuming if you reference them in the owners manual will let you know which is disengaged or not-affecting the tone.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-05-2021, 03:12 PM

Thank you. Yes, "bypass" is exactly what I want to do to both the mixer and the eon so that the fly rig "effects" are dominant. I just couldn't think of that word: bypass". Your response was very helpful. 3 gigs this weekend - hopefully I'll get it right by the third!
Old 08-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
If the tone control both boosts AND cuts, then the convention is to have the pot at 12 o'clock be no cut and no boost.

If (this is more rare) the tone control is only positive OR negative, then the convention is for the pot at 0/all the way left to be 'shut off.'

Since it is a purely voluntary convention, if you have any doubt, ask the manufacturer.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic fly rig, eq controls