The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I double checked and the paperwork states that it is a duty and tax invoice. In the end I will most likely pay it. Though over the weekend I was looking around the FedEx page and started looking at how to make claims. They give about three options. I claimed I didn't receive it just to see what happens.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-03-2021, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I'd appeal it....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-03-2021, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I double checked and the paperwork states that it is a duty and tax invoice. In the end I will most likely pay it. Though over the weekend I was looking around the FedEx page and started looking at how to make claims. They give about three options. I claimed I didn't receive it just to see what happens.
Hmm, you've told everybody and their brother here that you did receive it. It was in your garage. This could get interesting. Keep us appraised of how that turns out.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 08-03-2021, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

You can submit a doc with your claim to show it was made in the US, and avoid the duty. Not sure how the tax works, as I wasn’t charged anything extra, duty or tax, on either of my two emeralds delivered by UPS to northern CA.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-04-2021, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

I've been watching this with a wry smile.

Here in Europe, and probably the rest of the world if we buy an item from another country with which your country does not have a special deal, then you pay excise and import taxes - THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS!

I've bought three guitars from the USA.
I probably paid by Paypal on two of them ad some sort of bank transfer for one.
Each method which includes a change of currency costs you money.
Every item you buy goes through Customs and Excise.
That costs you money.
Every shipper has to process all the paperwork, and normally will contact you to pay before they are allowed to ship it to you.

Then you pay your local/nation purchase taxes. on the whole lot.

That's the way it is!

e.g I but a guitar from a guy for say $3000.
I pay him in my currency which the bank or paypal convert to USD, .. and make a charge for that.

If you accept paypal there is a charge right?

Then there is a shipping charge - say, $250 - $300 (I don't know now) - this is a service so subject to purchase tax.

Then it gets to Customs and Excise. They procerss it, check the values and product ID (I think that in the UK Excise duty is about 3% (of stated or perceived value).

Then there is purchase tax (VAT in the UK is 20%)

VAT is charged on cost + shipping + Excise Duty. Then the shier charges a handling charge. This is a service and so subject to VAT (20%).

Why should it be any different in the USA?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS!

That's the way it is!

e.g I but a guitar from a guy for say $3000.
I pay him in my currency which the bank or paypal convert to USD, .. and make a charge for that.

If you accept paypal there is a charge right?

Then there is a shipping charge - say, $250 - $300 (I don't know now) - this is a service so subject to purchase tax.

Then it gets to Customs and Excise. They procerss it, check the values and product ID (I think that in the UK Excise duty is about 3% (of stated or perceived value).

Then there is purchase tax (VAT in the UK is 20%)

VAT is charged on cost + shipping + Excise Duty. Then the shier charges a handling charge. This is a service and so subject to VAT (20%).

Why should it be any different in the USA?
Fortunately for us, it (still) is.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-04-2021, 07:15 AM

Interesting thread.

There's a Gretsch on Reverb I've been jonesing for, but it's in eastern Canada and I'm in Oregon. This is exactly why I haven't pulled the trigger on it.

I figure if I'm patient enough, eventually one will pop up that's already in the US. But grrrrrr ... I don't like the waiting!
Old 08-04-2021, 07:21 AM

Not sure why Fedex would be billing you for import duty, tax yes. Have you called your nearest US Customs office to ask them about it?
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
Not sure why Fedex would be billing you for import duty, tax yes. Have you called your nearest US Customs office to ask them about it?
The only way to resolve this is to contact FedEx directly and stay on the phone until the bill is explained or adjusted.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Guest 928

I would be tempted to ask a bunch of questions. And keep asking, and asking and asking. There might be a point at which they'd just stop asking for the money.

I didn't think this guitar was delivered but then found it in my garage; is that a legal form of delivery? Can I pay this bill with Yen? Can this bill be paid in increments? Were the stamps and labels checked for Covid? And so forth, one question at a time. Have some fun, invite your friends to help come up with good questions.

Even better, if you know a lawyer, have him or her provide some questions.

enjoy the day
Old 08-12-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

FYI - This is where things are at the moment.

Your request has been received and submitted to FedEx Logistics for continued processing. During this time, your dispute will be reviewed and will be submitted to US Customs for final resolution. FedEx Logistics will contact you directly if any additional information is needed prior to submission to US Customs. Once a resolution is received, correspondence will be sent to you directly from FedEx Logistics. If you have not already paid your invoice, we will place your invoice in dispute, which will stop collection activity until resolved.

The time frame for this process varies, but typically takes 90-180 days or longer depending on the complexity.

Thank you,
FedEx Revenue Services - Duty Tax Billing Team

Old 08-12-2021, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

That’s the same message I got after submitting my claim last year, and have never received anything back from FedEx.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-13-2021, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

I bought a classical guitar from a Canadian dealer earlier this summer and was pleased at how fast it arrived. A couple of weeks later UPS sent a bill that was equal to 12 or 15% of the purchase price. I am grateful it was comparatively inexpensive. I paid and chocked it up to lessen learned.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
That’s the same message I got after submitting my claim last year, and have never received anything back from FedEx.
Thanks for thr information. I have looked at the bill and it has no due date. That makes it a little hard to be past due doesn't it?

This came in as I was writing this.

Hello,

As the designated Customhouse broker for FedEx, we have received your request for post entry services on the above referenced entry transaction. It appears your claims this shipment qualifies for U.S. Goods Returned (USGR) under subheading 9801. In order to have USGR applied the repair declarations are required, the shipper is to complete the shipper’s declaration and the importer is to complete the importer’s declaration.

If you wish to proceed there is a filling fee of $90.00 to have FedEx file the claim on your behalf with U.S. Customs. I will need acknowledgment that you agree to this fee prior to filing a claim on your behalf.

If no reply is received by 8/24/2021 this dispute will be closed and no claim will be filed with CBP

Old 08-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

A claim of USGR would not be valid. That would apply to you sending YOUR guitar to another country for repair, and then the same guitar being returned to YOU. From your original post, this was a purchase, not an item that was out for repair.

AFAIK, you would need a different type of claim. As currently stated (or as FedEx understands it), you'd be wasting another $90 without any possible benefit.

"It does not matter whether you bought the item from an established business or from an individual selling item in an on-line auction. If merchandise, used or new, is imported into the United States, it must clear CBP and may be subject to the payment of duty..." [CBP=Customs and Border Protection]

Now, again AFAIK (was able to determine from duty calculators), guitars over $100 are on the Harmonized System Tariff as HS 92029040. BTW, doesn't matter if the goods were originally produced in the U.S. or not. These (even if new - there is no exception for used) should be duty-free under the Canada USMCA FTA (Foreign Trade Agreement) in effect from June 2020. You are importing goods from an FTA Partner into the United States. If handled this way, there should be no customs duty, however you would still likely have fees from the broker (FedEx) handling the processing & paperwork. I don't know if this gives you an avenue to have any reduction in your current assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Thanks for thr information. I have looked at the bill and it has no due date. That makes it a little hard to be past due doesn't it?

This came in as I was writing this.

Hello,

As the designated Customhouse broker for FedEx, we have received your request for post entry services on the above referenced entry transaction. It appears your claims this shipment qualifies for U.S. Goods Returned (USGR) under subheading 9801. In order to have USGR applied the repair declarations are required, the shipper is to complete the shipper’s declaration and the importer is to complete the importer’s declaration.

If you wish to proceed there is a filling fee of $90.00 to have FedEx file the claim on your behalf with U.S. Customs. I will need acknowledgment that you agree to this fee prior to filing a claim on your behalf.

If no reply is received by 8/24/2021 this dispute will be closed and no claim will be filed with CBP
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic