The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-30-2021, 03:14 AM

I had heard about the hip problems - having to play seated and then heading home from the tour. But this came as a shock.

I first kearned about ZZ Top when Eliminator started getting time on the radio. I have most of their main albums on vinyl (no functioning player currently, though). I love the sounds and the rhythms - and most of all how much FUN the songs are.

Thank you for the music, Dusty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTX-jzH2Z0
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 07-30-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Please report back on how the show went.
Will do. I believe they played a show in Alabama tonight.

Here’s an interview with Gibbons talking about the situation.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...on-1235031028/

The part where they were talking about the laying down the small section in the recording studio where no one could get Dusty’s tone with his bass was pretty telling to me about how talented he was.

It had never set into me until I saw this them in person a few years ago that they’re only a 3 piece band putting out that wall of sound and Dusty held it down when Gibbons was soloing.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Here’s an interview with Gibbons talking about the situation.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...on-1235031028/
""""""""""
Q: How are you feeling about continuing on with your guitar tech filling in?

Billy Gibbons: Well, it was a direct directive from Mr. Dusty Hill. When he grabbed my arm and said, “I think I’m due to go visit the physician to see if I can bounce back,” he said, “In the meantime, I want you to grab our guitar technician, Mr. Elwood” — Elwood Francis — “and take him out of that tech station and strap him up with my guitar and make him carry on with every single note.” And I said, “Well, if that’s your wishes, I’ll respect that.” And sure enough, we’ve been very, very fortunate to have a stalwart standby to fill in.

What’s really got everybody on the ropes is that Elwood had been holding down the guitar technician post for 30 years as a clean-shaven young fellow.

""""""""""
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 08-02-2021, 11:07 AM

Great show last night. Billy and Frank were just as good as ever. Such a treat to watch and listen to Gibbons play the guitar. There’s definitely something missing not having Dusty, especially with the vocals. Elwood Francis did an admirable job of trying to fill in for a legend and did a good job of playing in the pocket. Nice tribute to Dusty when they played Tush.

This was my third time to see them and it’s basically the same 75 minute show every time, but they’re so good at what they do it’s so enjoyable.

I’d still recommend seeing them if you get the chance while they’re still able to perform at high level.

Here are some photos from last night.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:25 AM

2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 08-03-2021, 05:34 AM

There's a very interesting YouTube video from 6 years ago or so with a clean-shaven Elwood in his sound man role describing ZZ's stage and amplifier setup. If I understood it correctly, all the amps are off stage. What you see on stage is mostly for show. He also said the stage volume is actually quite low, so low in fact that you can carry on a conversation quite easily. I found that surprising.

Dusty played various versions of the same bass. Billy's guitars are all EQ'd to sound like Pearly Gates, his original Les Paul.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:18 AM

La Grange was always my go to song when skiing moguls, I would blast that into my ear buds and bust the run like I was flying. I hate to see these things happen, but none of us get out of this alive as they say.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:05 PM

Default Huge loss

I've seen them 3 times and I was glued to watching Dusty every time. Such an awesome bass and blues player! Back then I was a bass player in our band and had guitars also but I still play their songs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic