The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-31-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
C’mon guys, show some luv for the Boss

Luckytown

Very nice, Bob, and a great travelogue to accompany it as well. Out of curiosity, where are the scenes at about 30 seconds and again at about 2:40? I'm guessing they're the same place. Maybe Cinque Terra? I've been close, but never quite to the towns. I spent some time on the Amalfi Coast, which is sort of similar, but larger towns and the topography is bigger I think, but not quite as dramatic and rocky. In any case, beautiful!

-Ray
Old 07-31-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi Ray, I’m pretty sure that is Positano on the Amalfi coast. Beautiful place.

This was my first attempt at making a movie and I tried to get pictures of towns to go with the title of the song. For some reason a picture of my son-in-law shoveling snow in New Jersey crept in there and that’s the one that comes up in the thumbnail. Go figure!
Old 07-31-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Ray, I’m pretty sure that is Positano on the Amalfi coast. Beautiful place.

This was my first attempt at making a movie and I tried to get pictures of towns to go with the title of the song. For some reason a picture of my son-in-law shoveling snow in New Jersey crept in there and that’s the one that comes up in the thumbnail. Go figure!
REALLY?!?!? I spent a lot of time in Positano (basically a month with a small rented flat waaaay up on the hill, climbed a lot of stairs!) and neither of those shots looked like it. But that could just mean they don't look like the shots you'd usually see of it. The second one could be the northern end, kind of around a bend and separated from the main part of town. And I guess that first shot could be way up and only looking way up - usually shots from up there, look down through the main part of town, with the golden dome church in the middle. Regardless, beautiful photos and a beautiful place, whether the same place or not!

I'd bet that YouTube uses some sort of algorithm for their thumbnails that contain recognizable faces, figuring the people want to see other people? I don't know, just a guess...

Apologies in advance for the thread drift, but this is a photo from the patio at the place we rented. You actually can't see the very center/bottom of town from here either, but it's down there...

Luckytown indeed!

RX1 Positano-1-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

One of my favorite places on earth. Never really want to go back, though, because I've idealized the memories so thoroughly that it could never live up to them a second time.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 07-31-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Nice pic, Ray, it looks very familiar, too. Must have been a great time! On second thought, I think the shot I put in the video is from Capri. Does that sound right?
Old 07-31-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice pic, Ray, it looks very familiar, too. Must have been a great time! On second thought, I think the shot I put in the video is from Capri. Does that sound right?
Definitely could be Capri. Easy boat ride from Positano! I've only been to Capri once for a day, so I'm not as familiar with it as Positano. But those photos really don't remind me of Positano, and they could easily be Capri. Man, that whole area is so beautiful... That month back in 2013 was the best vacation we've ever had. Nothing else is all that close.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 12-05-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

This one was left over from the Born in The USA sessions. I think it would have fit nicely on Ghost of Tom Joad.

... there are so many things I want to change about the video I posted ... redo is in order ... on my Monday morning to do list

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 08-01-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
This one was left over from the Born in The USA sessions. I think it would have fit nicely on Ghost of Tom Joad.

... there are so many things I want to change about the video I posted ... redo is in order ... on my Monday morning to do list
Nice job, Paul. Lovely arrangement! Thanks
Old 08-02-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice job, Paul. Lovely arrangement! Thanks
Thank you for your kindness, Bob. I kept the arrangement but changed pretty much everything else ... guitar, mic placement, key and lighting

The Scarecrow line could be my favorite in all of Brucedom.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Thank you for your kindness, Bob. I kept the arrangement but changed pretty much everything else ... guitar, mic placement, key and lighting

The Scarecrow line could be my favorite in all of Brucedom.

That’s great, Paul! I was immediately struck by the clarity and richness of the guitar tone, and I think I like the vocal better on this version as well. Unfortunately you took down the original so I can’t compare, lol. This is real special

That scarecrow line is a good one, you don’t hear people singing about tape decks anymore!
Old 08-02-2021, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, Bob.

Cheers!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-05-2021, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Youngstown

Old 08-05-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice job Bob! I enjoyed your cover!

I've been to Youngstown a few times...

- Glenn
Old 08-06-2021, 04:03 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Noodling on a lazy Sunday with the Martin...

Old 08-06-2021, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Hadn’t checked in here lately. Mr. Paul, Bob, Matt, all really nice stuff. I wasn’t familiar with This Hard Land, but what a great Bruce tune. Mr. Paul, you manage to sound nothing like Bruce and yet capture his spirit perfectly in that tune. BTW, is that a 000-15SM you’re playing,or maybe an 00-17A? Sounds great, in either case… Bob, your vocals are really working well on these sparser Bruce tunes, Youngstown in particular. And Matt, you have an easygoing way of playing and singing that I really aspire to. And you can belt it out too, like on that Neil Young medley from the other thread. Really enjoyed all of these.

-Ray
Old 08-06-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Youngstown and Thunder Road are two of my favorite live tunes by Bruce and I love seeing them stripped of the E Street wall of sound, leaving only two pearls of songwriting.

Nice job on this, Bob, and I enjoyed the images as well.

Matt, I agree with Ray in that your relaxed delivery really helps showcase this song.

And thanks, Ray. How can that tune not be "good enough" to release when it was written? What a songwriter. That is my 00-17A and it does seem to record really well.

Cheers

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell